Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire

At the risk of being flamed and/or trolled, I would like to discuss a little about Brandon Lee.

The reason being is I was bored with Fear Factor (hmm, that would be an interesting thread for MAists here, no?) last night, went through my humble collection of KF flicks, and decided to watch (again) "Rapid Fire". No big deal, not even really a good topic, but it got me thinking about Brandon Lee, his skills as a MAist, actor, son of one of, if not the greatest MAist ever.

I noticed some interesting things in the choreography of that movie, put together by BL (uh, Brandon Lee, I mean) and one of the other actors (can't remember his name).

Was it JKD? From what I know, which is next to nothing, about the style, it looked very much like he was using it. Now, of course, we all know Movie-Fu is not Kung fu, so I'm sure there were aspects that were made up to accommodate the action, but I wanted to know what his strong suit was. Did he ever actually get to train with his father? Not much, if any, I'm sure.

(And then there is the strangely ironic way that both their lives were taken so early in life, but that's been played out)

Thank you in advance, and if anyone thinks this is an idiotic topic, I'm sorry. Just trying not to miss all that heavenly glory.
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

Well, Brandon Lee once said he felt silly whenever he said he "did Jeet Kune Do." He said only his dad did JKD, he (Brandon) just practiced it.

Now, was Bruce Lee the best/one of the best Martial artists? Well, I doubt it. He was, however, exceptionally influential and had many great ideas . . . original or not.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Well, Brandon Lee once said he felt silly whenever he said he "did Jeet Kune Do." He

That's a very humble opinion on his part, I would think. But I would still like to know what else, if anything, did he study?

As for Bruce Lee being the "greatest", I don't know. I do know though that I admire him the most for doing what I have always wanted to do. Take what works and combine differing styles to create something for himself. I don't think he could ever have imagined how widespread it would become.

(he always was just a little bit ****y about the whole thing IMO)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

Funny you mention Rapid Fire, I too just recently downloaded it and watched it again after many years. From what I understand, Brandon was training with his father from almost the time he could walk, but after Bruce died he did train with Dan Inosanto, which to my understanding was his primary instructor. There is one scene in the movie, the one where he is in that building and the Mafia boss is about to kill him and the corrupt FBI agent, Brandon's character starts to fight back and in the multiple fight scene it is definetly a mirror of a scene in Enter the Dragon for sure because I checked the two of them out.

As for Bruce being the best ever, no one can say for sure about the best in anything, but I think it's fair to say that Bruce should be considered one of the best ever, for his determination and drive and his fighting ability alone...

James

Awesome!

James, thanks for the update! Now I'll have to watch both of them again to see what you're talking about.

Doesn't really ever get old for me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Sifu Abel

...his skills as a MAist, actor, son of one of, if not the greatest MAist ever.

I'm sorry but why would anyone consider him the best ever? Is that to say he was better than the great Kuo Yu Chang (who supposedly could kick 5 consecutive times in mid-air; a feat Bruce could not perform) or any of the other greats from the early part of the 20th century? Is it because he made a few influential films? (which suck by todays MA action film standards)

Let me further ask you this: besides his exhibition in Long Beach, which top competitive fighters did Bruce ever fight in real life? Shouldn't we go by those standards? Van Dam even has more of a claim to fame in that department since he actually won some tournaments and major public bouts in Europe. If Bruce was "the best," why didn't he compete in any national or world championships?

I just think the notion of him being the greatest MAist ever is a bunch of balony. I know at least a few MAists who are capable of beating a Bruce Lee in his prime.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

Siu Lum Fighter, Bruce spent some time training the 3 best karate tournament fighters of the late 60's, Chuck Norris, Mike Stone, and Joe Lewis. That should maybe give you an idea of his calibur during that time. Should someone compete even if they don't want to just so after they are dead people will think they were legit? And as far as today's MA action films go, they suck and I simply can't watch them, its complete bs. The debate as to how tough Bruce Lee actually was will probably never stop. Siu Lim fighter you sound real tough for your age. You are even more ****y than Bruce probably was at your age. Why don't you try to have an open mind and stop judging by who could beat who. Its seems you don't really know anything about Bruce Lee or JKD but just like to shout your mouth off about them.

Bruce spent some time training the 3 best karate tournament fighters of the late 60's, Chuck Norris, Mike Stone, and Joe Lewis
    Ya, cause he was a really charismatic guy. He could get people excited about his ideas. I still think Chuck Norris, Lewis, and fighters like Peter Ralston could've given Bruce a real run for his money in a real fight.

as far as today's MA action films go, they suck and I simply can't watch them, its complete bs.
    So wait, you're going to pit any one of Bruce's films against say, Jackie Chan's Police Story or Police Story II. Or maybe let's say, Jet Li's Fist of Legend or Shaolin Temple?! I just think Bruce's movies (which I've seen plenty of times) are overrated.

You are even more ****y than Bruce probably was at your age.
    Could you please tell me what form of expletive "****y" is. I know it can't be "sh**y" or "crapy." I'm at a loss.

Why don't you try to have an open mind and stop judging by who could beat who.
    And look, my judgement of his fighting skills are merely in retaliation to other peoples judgement that he was the greatest MAist ever.
    Last edited by Siu Lum Fighter; 10-30-2004 at 12:29 PM.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

All right now, let's keep this civil.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

"Ya, cause he was a really charismatic guy. He could get people excited about his ideas. I still think Chuck Norris, Lewis, and fighters like Peter Ralston could've given Bruce a real run for his money in a real fight."

I doubt the karate champions were being instucted by Bruce solely for his personality. Perhaps the guys you mentioned could beat Bruce, but Norris and lewis both acknowlegde Bruce's skill to this day.

"So wait, you're going to pit any one of Bruce's films against say, Jackie Chan's Police Story or Police Story II. Or maybe let's say, Jet Li's Fist of Legend or Shaolin Temple?! I just think Bruce's movies (which I've seen plenty of times) are overrated."

I like the simplicity of Lee's films and his style of acting more than I do high (ridiculous, often stupid) action, over done stunts and Jet Li's modern film fu.

"Could you please tell me what form of expletive "****y" is. I know it can't be "sh**y" or "crapy." I'm at a loss. "

kocky

"And look, my judgement of his fighting skills are merely in retaliation to other peoples judgement that he was the greatest MAist ever"

How is other's opinions affecting you and your training? Why are you taking it so personally that you have to rip a man's life apart? Just keep thinking your Wu Shu shaolin is the ultimate and let others think what they want about Bruce Lee.

For what it is worth, I respect Bruce Lee's films simply for the simplicity of his style. Bruce when making them was aware of that his target audience had little or no knowledge of MA and did not want to appear overly fanciful or unrealistic while still keeping the excitement for the camera. I think he did a good job and unfortunelatly I have never seen another MA film that can claim anything close to realism.

I myself have had well over forty Real fights, on the street, in bars, at parties etc. and from what I have done and seen Bruce conveyed the fact that he understood how real fights run, and he did well to put that to film in an entertaining less than real fashion (purely to please the audience).

The greatest ever? He had awesome skill, Insight, Determination, Knowledge with an ability to impart his knowledge and philosophy. That definetly makes him deserve his place as being considered among the greatest ever.

Just keep thinking your Wu Shu shaolin is the ultimate
    Waxwood Rod,

Excuse me but my style is not your typical "Wu Shu Shaolin." Here's a link to dispell that...

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezin...hp?article=158

He had awesome skill, Insight, Determination, Knowledge with an ability to impart his knowledge and philosophy. That definetly makes him deserve his place as being considered among the greatest ever.
    OK, I will entertain the notion that he was among the best fighters of the last century. "Ever" describes an endless stretch of time. Countless centuries in which there were no televisions and movies. Centuries that saw the rise of great warriors who slautered hundreds of men. Just in the last century there were men who I feel far surpassed Bruce in skill and power. Men like Kuo Yu Chang and Fu Zhen Song (who once single handedly defeated a hundred bandits).

Aside from all that, I wanted to pose the question: If Brandon had lived on, was it likely that he would've eventually surpassed his Dad as a martial artist?

Originally posted by Siu Lum Fighter
    Waxwood Rod,

Aside from all that, I wanted to pose the question: If Brandon had lived on, was it likely that he would've eventually surpassed his Dad as a martial artist?
    Fair enough I conceed that "ever" may be far too open. But to say he was one of the greatest "known" MAists that can be somewhat measured, mostly by the accounts of living witnesses that saw him in action and trained with him would stand true. Charismatic or not Chuck Norris and Co. are not only excellent fighters but quite intelligent and I believe they would have seen through any bull**** that would have been fed to them.

If Brandon posed the dedication to MA that his father did he may well have surpassed his skill. After all what Bruce did to open up the MA world has created a society that is offered a massive amount more knowledge and avenues in which to train than were available in Bruce's day.

BTW I am not a tea totaller and I do not wish to make a Martyr out of anyone, but I do believe in credit and respect were it is due.

To be honest, I don't think Brandon had the sort of dedication that his Dad had. That's not to say he was a slacker, but he just wasn't as influencial in the MA world. Maybe that would've changed but it seems to me that he was even more concerned with movie stardom than his dad was.