Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rapid Fire

Originally posted by Yung Apprentice
    He was also the first to advocate mixed martial arts. In his time, many were too proud to search out different systems and different teachers.
    It's not much better today!

Me, I find just about all the stopping power I need in Northern Shaolin gung fu. Everything that was in Bruce's style is pretty much in there. The crushing kicks, the boxing, the grappeling. Bruce's style seems to me to be like Wing Chun boxing merged with long range kicks.

His whole method of cross training was really nothing new. In the Northern Siu Lum tradition, most practitioners have always made Bagua, Hsing Yi, and/or Tai Chi a part of their curriculum. When Jing Mo was established back in 1909, they promoted an atmosphere of many styles under one roof.

Bruce just had really eclectic tastes and merged a bunch of Japanese and Western stuff into his art. I still think JKD has a long way to go to match the devastating power of Shaolin or any of the above mentioned internal arts. That's not to say Bruce wasn't a good fighter. I just think that, on the whole, the method isn't as good. I've never seen Bruce use Iron Shirt, or Iron Palm in the way I have certain MAists or the currently commercialized Shaolin monks for that matter.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)