Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breeding Mantids

yea, this one's even funnier. Samurai Pomegranate.
    Last edited by Ming Yue; 10-15-2004 at 07:06 AM.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

www.curious3d.com

Good stuff MY,...

OSO, don't let me get into what I've heard about your school and what it's mantis ladies has been doing to pay for that new space.

practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    NP, umm, you know...like, that...Ming Yue is one of my 'mantis ladies' don't you????
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Rogue-
    I bought some a few years ago (the egg cases) and put them in a paper sack in a warm area of the house. I wound up with probably over 500 babies all over my house (as the cat saw the bag moving and knocked it over while we were gone). They're hard lil things to get out!

You can buy them at any specialty garden center, or you can get them from here. They usually come with directions.

I would recommend if you're going to get the egg cases to put them in an aquarium with a mesh top. Because the paper sack idea was just BAD!!! Although, I didn't really see any bugs around or in my house for about a year!

As for breeding them?? I've never tried that, but I'm sure you could pull it off if you got them at the right time of year. It's too late now (although you can still hatch the lil guys if you get the case!)

Good luck, and hope this helps.

*edit* - If you want some help getting them, I can call the peeps I got them from and ask them to either ship you some, or see where they get them from so you can buy directly!

~Wen~
    Last edited by wushu chik; 10-15-2004 at 04:08 PM.
    The greatest thing about me is that I know that I am the ONLY one that knows the truth about all! Damo lives within me, and me ONLY - for there is nobody that knows the truth more - so stick that in your pipe and smoke it sparky's!!!

Yea, NP. you know that, right?

The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

www.curious3d.com

I actually DID successfully breed mantids one year.... AND THE MALE LIVED!!!! The male mantid spent HOURS sneaking up on the female, getting closer, closer....

...then he LEAPT!

He got her back and got his hooks in. She reached around to try to grab his head and get a snack, but he slipped her grasp and she simply gave up and let him have his way with her.

However, you have to understand that quite often, the male mantid never even gets the chance. If he makes the wrong move and lets the female get the drop on him, she will get a meal, and he gets no nookie.