Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Street Fights Mantis

:)

interesting observation.

Then why do you look into a forum that deals with a bug? Why not stick to a MMA forum or Modern grapplers forum? Or why even bother posting on a kung fu forum at all? Being that most traditional kung fu takes after animals it seems like a waste of time for someone like you.

I could be really ignorant here, but I thought that mantis kung-fu wasn't entirely based off of a praying mantis. It had elements of a bunch of other kung fu styles at the time, and added some movements of the mantis in.

Reggie1
    Doesn't really matter. It's easier to focus on the bug when your intent is to try to descredit the style.

shirkers1
    I think you know why he's here.

Enforcer-
    People like you are why I (and others) don't bother to post here much these days. Don't bother replying because I'm adding you to my ignore list. Come back when you grow up.

Knifefighter
    Excellent point but

Humans are unique in that they can extend and enhance their abilities through technology after studying other life forms (including bugs) that have adapted for certain conditions. Just about everything you see around you is an extension of our bodies, ie cars, bikes, TV, computers, telescopes, planes, boats. Copying the abilities of animals and such is a perfectly natural thing for us to do and seems to work fine. Failure to use this gift is your loss.

Originally posted by Hua Lin Laoshi
    Copying the abilities of animals and such is a perfectly natural thing for us to do and seems to work fine. Failure to use this gift is your loss.
    Actually, there is a better way- it is the study of kineseology to determine the most efficient use of the human lever systems.

It seems like a lot of the mantis I study involves efficient use of the human lever systems. A lot of what we learn involves leverage, balance, and all of that.

EDIT: Knifefighter, no disrespect intended. I'm not trying to say that what I learn is the end-all, be-all of MA. I also do not have a lot of experience so please forgive me if I sound ignorant.
    Last edited by Reggie1; 10-27-2004 at 03:36 PM.

Originally posted by Reggie1
    It seems like a lot of the mantis I study involves efficient use of the human lever systems. A lot of what we learn involves leverage, balance, and all of that.
    When you throw a strike, do your body mechanics share a lot of similarities to a baseball throw, shot put, and boxing punch.

When doing a throw, do you have your hips close to and lower than your opponent's lifting him with your hips as a fulcrum?

When doing a takedown, do you penetrate, drop levels, keep your hips under you, keep your back straight and head up? Do you set up your penetrations with angles?

When you apply a submission, do you immobilize your opponent, isolate your oppoent's limb, secure his single limb with both your arms, and use your entire body to apply the submission?

If so, you are indeed making efficient use of the human lever system.

Originally posted by Knifefighter
    Actually, there is a better way- it is the study of kineseology to determine the most efficient use of the human lever systems.
    Stated thusly, it is clear that you have no idea what praying mantis is really like or about. In mantis, if its not about the most efficient way to use the human body, its not there.
    Mantis is not about strength, its about how to effectivly move & react.

Anyone for tighter moderation yet??
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

If praying mantis is not about utilizing the movements of this insect, then I stand corrected.

Get on it Bei! (Moderation that is)

If praying mantis is not about utilizing the movements of this insect, then I stand corrected.
    Then I'd have to say you stand corrected.

Movements being inspired by a creature of nature is not the same as immitating the creature itself.

The "Mantis" hand itself along with dai bo sim (so my spelling aint that great!) are fantastic tools with multiple usages that have nothing to do with eating your opponent.
    Miss-directing, controling, leading, throwing, applying chin-na, breaking: Yes. Eating,...No. At least not the way my sifu teaches it!

People doing "modern"/MMA/Whatever arts are so quick to put down TCMA's amongst others, it's down-right f#cking amazing.

The MA's were not/are not meant for show. They _ARE_ all about using when your life is on the line & I'll bet you that against multiple as well as single attackers they still work & work _VERY_ well.

Just for fun, have 2 or 3 guys "spar" you at one time while using a ground-fighting art. I do it at the kwoon myself. You DO NOT want to spend _ANY_ time on the ground in this situation.
    It will get you hospitalized.

Do not misunderstand me. I am a fan of ground-fighting arts & see their usefulness. I just know that when it gets right down to it, unless its in a controlled environment, the chances of me getting mugged my a judoka or tai-boxer are slim & none.
    My chances of having to defend myself against multiple attackers is much greater.

I train for the odds. I train to protect myself & my family; Not to see how many people I can kick the @ss of one-on-one.
    (Although if you knew me, you'd know that I can handle myself very well in all situations).

In short, Mantis is all I ever see myself as needing in the real world.

Enough of my rant.
    ~BTL
    I know a lot of things.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

Originally posted by BeiTangLang
    Stated thusly, it is clear that you have no idea what praying mantis is really like or about. In mantis, if its not about the most efficient way to use the human body, its not there.
    Based on your post, one might reasonably assume that, in addition to being knowledgeable about PM, you are familiar with modern kineseology. If so, maybe you could compare how kineseology supports the methodology that mantis uses for acheiving the most efficient use of the human body for combatives.

The MA's were not/are not meant for show. They _ARE_ all about using when your life is on the line & I'll bet you that against multiple as well as single attackers they still work & work _VERY_ well.
    How many times have you used your mantis against multiple opponents?

Just for fun, have 2 or 3 guys "spar" you at one time while using a ground-fighting art. I do it at the kwoon myself. You DO NOT want to spend _ANY_ time on the ground in this situation.
    It will get you hospitalized.
    How much BJJ training do you have?

Based on your post, one might reasonably assume that, in addition to being knowledgeable about PM, you are familiar with modern kineseology. If so, maybe you could compare how kineseology supports the methodology that mantis uses for acheiving the most efficient use of the human body for combatives.
    I could, but I doubt that I could fully explain without writting a book & I do not feel the appreciation of what I write would warrant it.
    I know a lot of things.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

How many times have you used your mantis against multiple opponents?
    I train against multiple opponents (like I said in my earlier post).
    Not in turn, all at the same time. It is fun & enightens you as to what works & what doesn't.

Real-world?? Not yet. Hope it never happens.
    I know a lot of things.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!