Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boxing jabs

1. boxing jabs

when your fighting on the streets with no gloves, and when you jab do you aim for the nose, chin, or throat?

Chin.

Do you want blood all over you (nose) or do you want to set up a knock out?

and imho a "throat strike" will be very hard to do against a free standing opponent and you'll probably miss and hit his collar or neck muscles and just **** him off.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

3. well you cant really knock anyone out with a jab. So your setting him up but wouldnt it hurt your fist more by hitting his chin with a jab not a hook or cross) since its a pretty hard area?

He didn't say you could knock anyone out with a jab, he said 'set up a knock out'. But apart from that some people have very powerful jabs and some people have very weak chins...

What makes you think your hand's going to be any safer with a cross or a hook? I mean sure, if the hook hits the ganglion, the ear or the temple but those are pretty small targets. Otherwise there's the side of the jaw rather than the chin, but that's probably not far off as well protected as the throat.

My answer is just hit them. If I'm using boxing in a street fight, I'm not gonna wanna use it like I would in the ring... ie, jab for position, or to keep him at my chosen range and then get in with some power shots... well, I am but the time scale is such that I'll wanna jab once to keep him at my range and to open him up, and then just beat on him/run away/tackle him/knee him etc.

Sure, I can aim under pressure in the ring, and that's gotta help, but pretty much the whole head's a hard target so I'm gonna have to hope my hands can stand it... or use palms or some non- boxing tech.

And btw ST00, I've seen people go down with a good nose shot, and I've seen people stand up but definitely not want any more with a good nose shot, so I wouldn't rule that out either, esp as a soft target.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

The Idea that you can set up anyone in a street fight is probably faulse.

in my experiance, people will just rush you and have only minimul concern for their own defense.

This makes jabs along with feignts worth much less on the street than in the ring.

But every street fight is differant and it is impossiable to impose any rules to them and as such I find punching some one on the nose satisfiying.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

6. so it doesn't matter where you aim the jab? And what do you do if they rush you and are much bigger and stronger and will probably manhandle you in a clinch (or throw you threw window if you let a clinch occur)?

A jab will not stop a bigger stronger guy man handleing you in a clinch.....your training should stop a bigger guy domination you in a clinch, not any individual move!

If your training dosnt do this, change your training.

if a guy is rushing you a jab is probably the last thing you want to be doing and if you are good enough at punching to make a jab work here then there are so many better punches that have a much better chance of stopping a guy that could be used.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

I believe it depends on what your going for.

For instance, you can use a jab to disorient whoever your fighting, by throwing them at the eyes sockets/forhead area.

That would be good for say a jab/jab/slip left - left hook.

If done correctly that would push the opponents chin up for your left hook.

If you do the same thing but hit the opponent in the chin, your jabs would push his chin into his chest which would be harder to hit.

You can utilize jabs to control distance etc.

It depends on what you're going for but generally you want to land them in the nose, teeth, or the jaw area.

IMO.

fighting in the street does not really afford time for boxing. you will almost never ever see a street fight where people square off then attack. as stated, it is generally a rush in or a sucker shot that starts these things.

better to work on your close in techniques, elbows, knees, short strikes.

avoid hitting the face, seriously, you can cut your hands on someones teeth and easily get infected. strikes to the side of the head such as the jaw or ocipital bone are preferable when not having gloved hands.

kicking to the lower extremeties, choking, deflections, holds and locks or even escape are preferable to toe to toe exchanges of fisticuffs.

of course, you might be the one doing the sucker shot, in which case, shame on you, but nevertheless this is usually a fist strike to the head and almost always to the side or back of it.

a jab to the bridge of the nose is useful too if you do find yourself squared off and in a measure up situation. But a hook to the jaw or chin is the slapper.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I've successfully ended a street fight by setting up with jabs before.

Some dude swung on me, I got tagged 2-3 times and stepped back out of his reach for a second to get orientated. He advanced and I stepped into him with two straight hard jabs to put him on the defensive, he went to cover up and duck to his left, I slipped right and connected with a solid right hook to his temple area and he just slumped straight down like someone stole a chair out from underneath him.

Then he crawled around on the ground like he was looking for change or something, it was an odd sight.

Anyways, I know without a doubt in that instance they helped me set up the right hook.

Now if he ducked to his left I would probably have still thrown that right hook and he would have slipped it easily.

It just so happened the jabs made him duck right into my hook.

Jabs set up the hook that ended the fight in this one instance.

I'm not saying this can be done at will or during every fight, I just know they can and will work if the situation allows them and things come together.

There are so many more, hard hitting and effective things you can do then jabs in a street fight. You're probably better off not using them at all. But they do work.

[edited for spelling]

Originally posted by Enforcer-
    so it doesn't matter where you aim the jab? And what do you do if they rush you and are much bigger and stronger and will probably manhandle you in a clinch (or throw you threw window if you let a clinch occur)?
    What're you doing getting in a fight in the street against someone bigger and stronger than you anyway?

Anyway, if this happens rather often, train more, condition more, strengthen yourself. Develop explosive speed. Jumps, sprints, etc. Then avoid the rush, and run away.

The other thing you can do is register and carry a gun.

ST00, I've seen people go down with a good nose shot,
    I've seen it too and for various reasons (The sight of their blood, the "sting" to the sensitive nerves. (a tiger palm to the base of the nose hurts!)

But like Liokault said, your objective needs to be to put this rhino down! against an opponent who will tackle you (and without artificial rules, forward pressure is sending him into you guaranteed) the jab alone is no good.

However... It can lead you into a dominant clinch. You can throw that jab and turn it in and seek head control and then transition into a dominant clinch. knees. elbows. sprawl. run away.. control = you get to make the choice.

*edit* My opinion on striking is this...

Striking is good! but you've got to make it lead somewhere. There has to be something gained for it and letting someone continue to stand freely swinging back at you with all his capabilites and now possibly an injury that he can't even feel is just poor strategy imho. In fact that shows a lack of strategy to me.

I fight based upon concepts and principles. A fight is chaos so the more you stack the deck in your favor and play those odds, the better you're probably going to turn out and win more consistency. Rule #1 is seek a more dominant position and then compound it. Rule #2 says strike from a superior position.
    Last edited by ShaolinTiger00; 10-19-2004 at 07:01 AM.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

Originally posted by Enforcer-
    so it doesn't matter where you aim the jab? And what do you do if they rush you and are much bigger and stronger and will probably manhandle you in a clinch (or throw you threw window if you let a clinch occur)?
    Oh for ****'s sake learn a martial art or two!

What happens then is you use something other than a jab you retard! Have we suddenly gone back to the 'What one technique would you use in a fight?' thread?

ST00: agree completely.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Originally posted by FngSaiYuk
    What're you doing getting in a fight in the street against someone bigger and stronger than you anyway?

Anyway, if this happens rather often, train more, condition more, strengthen yourself. Develop explosive speed. Jumps, sprints, etc. Then avoid the rush, and run away.

The other thing you can do is register and carry a gun.
    Could also figure out what you're doing to get into that situation and then avoid doing again...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Sh!t happens?