Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Langauge?

Hybrid View

Langauge?

In learning kung fu and related qigong and mediatation techniques, I have become interested in learning more about the Chinese language. I wasn't sure what forum to post in, so I thought I would try here.

If you were to begin studying the language, which dialect would prove most useful if you want to begin conversations on these types of studies - Mandarin or Cantonese? I do not want to learn to read, just to be able to generally begin a conversation with people so they might be more willing to discuss their culture and ideas with me.....even if it has to go back to English coversation! In my travels, I find people respect you more if you attempt to communicate in their native language first, even if you are no good. This then leads to a better conversation and feeling towards one another overall.

Thank you for the help!
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Either Peace or War

mandarin...... unless you're deep south and looking for hongkong/ cantong conversation, ( btw 3x as difficult phonetically and character/quantity wise and also logisisationally) but as you ( cough cough ) research toward those ma studies, you'll pick up a respectable core language understanding anyway. Just be ware that it is an extremely complicated system and if you get carried away for the nxt yr or 5 , we'll all forgive you.

"mandarin...... unless you're deep south and looking for hongkong/ cantong conversation, ( btw 3x as difficult phonetically and character/quantity wise and also logisisationally) but as you ( cough cough ) research toward those ma studies, you'll pick up a respectable core language understanding anyway. Just be ware that it is an extremely complicated system and if you get carried away for the nxt yr or 5 , we'll all forgive you."

When you get a handle on English, Bloomie, then you can advise others about a second language. Logisastionally? This melding of you and Kelvin is creeping me out. Next cats will sleep with dogs and Kelvin will get banned.

immature and irrelevant reponse from yourself noted.

As for Bls language skill, as reiterated and confirmed by other english teachers over there in China, because of her education, proficiency, understanding , skill, popularity and so forth, the woman is remuneratered up to 5 and 6 times more than most other teachers there and abroad can ever expect and because of this skill, you vehemantly insist is underdeveloped, she is sitting in the top 98% salary bracket of over several billion chinese population a great deal of the time. Nothing you say, think nor claim will change that fact, but if you must, go ahead and say what you wish.

Playing nicely

EE

If you plan to travel, I would say Mandarin. It's spoken by a much larger number of people in a much larger area. For U.S. Chinatowns, though, I think Cantonese is more popular. (That's my impression, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Eyebrows, once again you are proving your idiocy. You even started out giving good advice and then you just went all blooming lotus again.

To answer the question, Mandarin is the national language. Even in the south most younger people will speak Mandarin and Cantonese. The only real reason to learn Cantonese is if you are studying a southern system when all your terminology will be in Cantonese anyway.

Cantonese travels a lot further than the "deep south", but Mandarin is probably better overall.

As for US Chinatowns, it's like with most Chinatowns in the west - they are populated mostly by Hong Kong and Guangzhou ex-pats, and Hong Kong is primarily a Cantonese speaking area. Although most people there will also know Mandarin.

Of course, a lot of ex-pats are now Taiwanese, so there's another version of Mandarin to consider.

The bottom line is that most Cantonese speakers will have at least some Mandarin. The opposite doesn't apply. So there's your answer really.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Leggo writes:
    "she is sitting in the top 98% salary bracket of over several billion chinese population a great deal of the time."

Ah so she makes $1.50 an hour. Wonder if she sends any to her daughter. Perhaps it all goes to her Chinese cop pimp.

"As for Bls language skill...nothing you say, think nor claim will change that fact, but if you must, go ahead and say what you wish."

Well Kelvin, I have two responses..he he. Firstly I think "logisastionally" speaks volumes about her command of the language.
    Secondly and more importantly, you just admitted it was her writing the post. I referred to a post with your name on it, identified it as Bloomie writing, and you responded in kind, taking offense at my comment on her writing. Dress pulled way up this time, Kelvin. This one goes to Gene as well. Bye Bye Kelvin.

Buddy,

Well BL is gone now. Guess you have to keep wondering this and wondering that. Maybe you shoiuld spend more time with your family than worry about others - which btw is not your concern. You're not a social worker in anycase.

It's not surprising that I take offence of what you write, especially to me. Calling me a cop pimp and other names - hey what do you expect you low class troll.

"Maybe you shoiuld spend more time with your family than worry about others - which btw is not your concern."

Leave my family out of this *******. Bloomies the lousy parent not me.

"Well BL is gone now."

No she's not. she's posting from your name.

"Calling me a cop pimp and other names "

While I understand that you think it's all about you, I was referring to her new "Chinese cop friend" she's allegedly discussing issues brought up on this forum. Pimp would imply having some way with the ladys, something I would never accuse you of.

Originally posted by Buddy
    Ah so she makes $1.50 an hour. Wonder if she sends any to her daughter. Perhaps it all goes to her Chinese cop pimp.
    Roflmao! Gold, Buddy, gold!
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

actually for her 20 hrs work per week that'd make her remunative package ...hmmm.. y1000 per hour ( in a country where av family earns y600 per YR!! / Month at best !!) and on the cop thing, props to her for sharing via myself without pulling ego. no doubt someone soon will benifit.

on my own prowess, value it don't, she pulls quality and salutes me on mine.

cheers boys.

RTb :- Pls see parenting comment ....... dong / budong ???

Unless we're paying B's consitution , " MY" can deal with it, no??

Can you please stop pretending you're not Eyebrows, Eyebrows? It's intensely annoying.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

"actually for her 20 hrs work per week that'd make her remunative package ...hmmm.. y1000 per hour ( in a country where av family earns y600 per YR!! / Month at best !!) and on the cop thing, props to her for sharing via myself without pulling ego. no doubt someone soon will benifit.
    on my own prowess, value it don't, she pulls quality and salutes me on mine.
    cheers boys.
    RTb :- Pls see parenting comment ....... dong / budong ???
    Unless we're paying B's consitution , " MY" can deal with it, no?? "

Bloomie,
    Don't drink and try to write. There is this thing in writing called coherence, study up on it. Must be great to be the rich deletante making almost twice as much as a family. Maybe you can buy them yeast. And your daughter vegemite, dong/budong?

Budong!!! and btw , "eyebrows " was banned, now you talk to Ego!

Ps: please also see personality in writing techs and creative flair. I guess I have spent time with her recently and it shows in my posts!!!???! All good though! Cheers boys

EE

Ps: back to topic.. madarin is a great base for any astute learner of either tma or chinese language. Occassionally you might need some cantonese , and even if on taiwanese tangent, a firm base in mandarin will you help you out. Eventually it all comes back to roots, and for the great part of most Asia, that root is in mainland mandarin.
    Last edited by Ego_Extrodinaire; 10-20-2004 at 10:40 PM.

Originally posted by Ego_Extrodinaire
    Budong!!! and btw , "eyebrows " was banned, now you talk to Ego!

Ps: please also see personality in writing techs and creative flair. I guess I have spent time with her recently and it shows in my posts!!!???! All good though! Cheers boys

EE

Ps: back to topic.. madarin is a great base for any astute learner of either tma or chinese language. Occassionally you might need some cantonese , and even if on taiwanese tangent, a firm base in mandarin will you help you out. Eventually it all comes back to roots, and for the great part of most Asia, that root is in mainland mandarin.
    I've said it before, Michelle - it's actually quite insulting that you think anybody believes that you're Ego.

As for your last comment, are you suggesting that "the great part of most Asia" speaks a language with a Mandarin root? You know, like Korea, Vietnam, Indonesia, etc., etc.... Because that would make you really wrong. Again.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching