Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Wingchunners and non wingchunners!

Thanks for your first informative post, Alex and welcome on board! I feel your pain about missing those huge sandwiches. I can imagine quite a bit of what you have lost.... =D

Hey Alex! Welcome to this crasy place!...

Originally posted by old jong
    Hey is this the Alex i know , either way welcome to the coo coo's nest
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Hi Alex,

Did Kenneth Chung change any conceptions you had about Wing Chun? Were there any disappointments or doubts in your mind about his methods? For example after I met Ken I still had doubts about how to handle the really good high speed kicker using Wing Chun methods because I never saw it demonstrated before. So then we got up Emin and I got over a friend of mine who is a very fast 4th degree black belt in Hapkido with a million kinds of kicks. So at the seminar Emin demonstrated what he does on his kicking tape against my friend. So that demo combined with his words of wisdom on training gave me enough evidence that by training the proper way it was indeed possible to handle what seemed like the impossible before. What Ken told us was a refinement on everything I learned before. Nothing he said contradicted what my previous teacher told me but Ken was further along the path yet on a similar path. The difference between these teachers and what Terence is talking about is just at what stage or how early you do the more intensive sparring with what you have learned. Everyone's model is still the same as: 1) learn the forms 2) learn the applications through drills and light sparing 3) go and fight or progressively beef up the intensity of what you do just short of injury.

Ray
    Victoria, British Columbia, Wing Chun

Welcome to the arena, Alex.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Originally posted by Old Jong
    hi sifu !
    Originally posted by Ernie
    Hey is this the Alex i know , either way welcome to the coo coo's nest
    yes
    Originally posted by YongChun
    Did Kenneth Chung change any conceptions you had about Wing Chun?
    I would say that off course meeting that kind of person implies an evolution in the way i understand wing chun. My understanding is still very limited and i cannot say right now how this seminar influences me (and it was only a short exposition to Ken's wing chun).

Besides the fact that i am very excited about the skills and capabilities that he showed us, i found his ability to generate "energy" with such a stricking and penetrating impact very interesting. I had personnally witnessed and felt that kind of heavy hits recently during a few introductory training sessions with someone that trains extensively in bagua zhang, xing yi and has studied ziranmen since his early childhood from a direct disciple of Wang Lai Shen.

I did not think that the wing chun structure and positioning made it possible for someone to produce the same kind of heavy and penetrating impact i have already seen.

And Ken stated more than once that this was the result of many many years of hard work and dedication to the art.

There are a lot a things that i learned there but it would be too long to go through each of them,
    Were there any disappointments or doubts in your mind about his methods?
    honestly, it would be pretentious to be either disapointed or to have doubts about Ken's method after seing him 1 afternoon (even a long one) and less than 2 years of wing chun,
    Everyone's model is still the same as: 1) learn the forms 2) learn the applications through drills and light sparing 3) go and fight or progressively beef up the intensity of what you do just short of injury.
    well, not quite i think. some do stress more the application side, others spend more time on the development of their stricking power (energy) through a very specific training (i.e. no gym). I have seen either way, and they produce pretty convincing results. After that it's a matter of personal taste ,

Alex

Hi Alex, Old Jong and everyone.

It was great to have Alex and friend visit us for Ken's workshop. I hope we made them feel as comfortable and welcome as ol' Tuck and I did when we visited Ottawa.

Ken enjoyed working with you guys.

What I feel I got most from this workshop was amazment at the depth of wing chun. How applying it correctly goes after the weakest parts of the opponents structure and puts them in an akward position that in turn opens up a target. And it's all in the forms and dummy!

And it was great that 3 different lineages could come together and have a great afternoon.

Alex next time you guys are down we'll make sure you get one fo those sub sandwhiches

Mark

Hey Mark!
    I was sure that Alex and Hai would have a great times with you guys.My big regret is that I could not make it.
    I was not surprised at all when they gave me a description of some of Ken's skills.This is what you get when you follow the Wing Chun path.
    They came back with even more motivation to follow that path.
    Mes salutations à Ken, Kathy Jo and ol'Tuck. (real Wingchunners!)

BTW,I enjoyed the pics!

Hey Old Jong

Hopfully we'll meet again soon.

And BTW, how do you guys rate? I haven't even seen one picture yet!!!!!

Mark!

Check your PM box!...

Originally posted by Mark Kune

And it was great that 3 different lineages could come together and have a great afternoon.
    Mark
    If we could do more and more of this kind of thing then we wouldn't have so many fights with each other. The older generation, which are our teachers, can't bring themselves to do that for lots of reasons but the students of these teachers who have not been brainwashed too much can do it and get a lot out of it. This of course is not just a Wing Chun problem but a worldwide human problem which is difficult if not impossible to solve. However each little step helps. So I am happy this kind of sharing is happening.

Ray
    Victoria, British Columbia, Wing Chun