Thread: Real fight

Real fight

And I used kung fu..

Dude stepped
    I slapped him
    He left...

Good cma
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

What kind of slap was it? Was there internal power to it? Was it open hand or close hand slap? Front or back hand? Was any fajing used? Was it just physical strength? What caused this?

Did the fight go to the ground?!
    I have a signature.

Originally posted by PHILBERT

Did the fight go to the ground?!
    Tee-hee! If the BJJ guys are still lurking, you'll probably hear something like, "If it didn't go to the ground, it must not've been a real fight."

Of course, if a little slap stopped the whole the whole thing, then I'd tend to agree.
    Bodhi Richards

A Little SLap... no such thing..

Did I mention the dude spilled my pimp juice. That made it to the ground.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Originally posted by Samurai Jack
    Tee-hee! If the BJJ guys are still lurking, you'll probably hear something like, "If it didn't go to the ground, it must not've been a real fight."

Of course, if a little slap stopped the whole the whole thing, then I'd tend to agree.
    the mis-conception that a Kung Fu artist can't handle himself on the ground ****es me off so much. I am now a student of BJJ but the hype that the Gracies put on ground fighting ****es me off. The ground is a range of combat and everyone should learn to fight there IMHO, however it is NOT the be all end all. Due to the Gracies, boasting, Kung Fu has been laughed at by the majority of MMA fighters. It has also been said by many a BJJ artist, that BJJ can always overcome Kung Fu. I was actually falling into that mindset until my Sifu patiently explained to me time and time again, it's not the art but the fighter. I understood, but it never sank in. That is until my Sifu actually overcame a BJJ fighter at his own game. The friendly match, was based on the ground with no striking and only submissions. No point system. Not only did my Sifu have the BJJ practitioner, in many a comprimising postitions but he also submitted the BJJ artist 3 times. While the BJJ artist was relatively helpless. This BJJ artist doesn't train by rank but I have gone up against him and he is a very good ground fighter. This is not to say that Kung Fu is now better than BJJ, but it is just to show that it is not the art, but the artist that makes the difference.
    I dont fear the 1000 kicks you have trained once, I fear the 1 kick you have trained 1000 times--Shaolin Saying.

Originally posted by pedro_sanchez
    Due to the Gracies, boasting, Kung Fu has been laughed at by the majority of MMA fighters.
    Who cares what anyone else says. You do what you do. I absolutely love your signiture BTW, it perfectly encapsulates my entire self-defense philosophy and pretty much says it all... Get REALLY good at what you do, and use it in a fight.

My old Kungfu Sifu told me this great story about a friend of his who never trained in a fighting system at all. The guy was a cement-mixer in Canton. He would stand knee deep in cement for hours everyday using the churning of his legs to keep the cement from setting. Sifu said his thighs were about as big around as an average man's waist. One day a horse went berserk in the middle of a crowded marketplace and started charging around biting and kicking innocent bystanders. When the horse got to Sifu's cement-mixer friend, the guy kicked the horse in the throat so hard he killed it. Sifu said that later some of his Kungfu brothers got mad at him and accused him of teaching the cement-mixer in secret, but the guy had never set foot in a kungfu class in his life.

That's my favorite martial arts story of all time.
    Bodhi Richards

Originally posted by Samurai Jack
    Who cares what anyone else says. You do what you do. I absolutely love your signiture BTW, it perfectly encapsulates my entire self-defense philosophy and pretty much says it all... Get REALLY good at what you do, and use it in a fight.

My old Kungfu Sifu told me this great story about a friend of his who never trained in a fighting system at all. The guy was a cement-mixer in Canton. He would stand knee deep in cement for hours everyday using the churning of his legs to keep the cement from setting. Sifu said his thighs were about as big around as an average man's waist. One day a horse went berserk in the middle of a crowded marketplace and started charging around biting and kicking innocent bystanders. When the horse got to Sifu's cement-mixer friend, the guy kicked the horse in the throat so hard he killed it. Sifu said that later some of his Kungfu brothers got mad at him and accused him of teaching the cement-mixer in secret, but the guy had never set foot in a kungfu class in his life.

That's my favorite martial arts story of all time.
    very cool story dude. How did he kick the horse in the neck btw. Was it a regular "street" kick, or a "specialized" kick. He must have has some great accuracy, if it was a crazed horse. And that is some strong legs strength. But then he worked with cement, so his leg muscles would be very developed.

And I dont really care what anyone says, especially the Gracies. But when you hear it over and over it kinda gets annoying. It's like dropping water on your forehead. At first you dont mind, but after a while, each drop begins to sound like a bomb going off.
    I dont fear the 1000 kicks you have trained once, I fear the 1 kick you have trained 1000 times--Shaolin Saying.

I've never been taken to the ground in any of my "real" fights. Is that to say that it won't ever happen? No, of course not! But it sure goes against the saying that ALL fights go to the ground. Anything that is so absolute is obviously incorrect, because nothing is absolute except death.

So with that being said....I studied BJJ for a while a couple years back to see what all the hubbub was about. To be honest...it did help me in my confidence level on the ground, and only a couple guys there had the ability to "easily" take me down (granted I wasn't allowed to play my game, only theirs - so no striking or chin na or shuia jiao). I do think it's something everyone should get a taste of at the very least.

And in reference to all the internal fa jing stuff...gimme a break man, he smacked the guy and that was the end of it. All techniques should contain some form of fa jing or vibrating energy. It's what differentiates a weak hit from a stong one. As far as internal to external, you hit anyone hard enough and it will cause internal damage. No need to believe in fairy tales.
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 11-14-2004 at 12:01 PM.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

"This BJJ artist doesn't train by rank but I have gone up against him and he is a very good ground fighter. This is not to say that Kung Fu is now better than BJJ, but it is just to show that it is not the art, but the artist that makes the difference."

OK...so how is he a BJJ artist if he doesn't train with a BJJ ranked school? And how can you judge that he is a good ground fighter unless you have trained with a ranked BJJ guy? Yes...the artist makes a difference especially if he's not trained in the ART.
    A

Originally posted by LEGEND
    "This BJJ artist doesn't train by rank but I have gone up against him and he is a very good ground fighter. This is not to say that Kung Fu is now better than BJJ, but it is just to show that it is not the art, but the artist that makes the difference."

OK...so how is he a BJJ artist if he doesn't train with a BJJ ranked school? And how can you judge that he is a good ground fighter unless you have trained with a ranked BJJ guy? Yes...the artist makes a difference especially if he's not trained in the ART.
    He has been training in BJJ for over a year now and has never wanted to go for grading. I am currently a practitioner in BJJ aswell, so I know how it feels to practice with a seasoned BJJ artist. Our teacher is cool and he won't force grading on you. He will still teach techniques to you obviously and you still progress in the art.
    There's no need for sarcasm or to be snooty budz. The school we train in (I train with the BJJ dude), is lineaged under Marcus Soares. And I mean a direct lineage, he is the instructor's, instructor.

Nice NP. was it a b*tch slap?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

He has been training in BJJ for over a year now and has never wanted to go for grading. I am currently a practitioner in BJJ aswell, so I know how it feels to practice with a seasoned BJJ artist. Our teacher is cool and he won't force grading on you.
    Most legit BJJ schools don't do "grading". The instructor pretty much just throws the belt at you when he thinks you are ready to be at that belt level. If he hasn't received a higher belt, then he is still at white belt level.

Originally posted by Knifefighter
    Most legit BJJ schools don't do "grading". The instructor pretty much just throws the belt at you when he thinks you are ready to be at that belt level. If he hasn't received a higher belt, then he is still at white belt level.
    maybe I just didn't make myself clear. He doesn't want the rank. He is totally set against ranks. So am I. We see rank as not a representation as skill level.

I personally have no with to be ever called Master/Sifu, Sensei, Sigong, Shihan, Shidoshi, anything. But if that is what you all wish to think, that my boy had/has, no skill then go ahead. It matters not.

maybe I just didn't make myself clear. He doesn't want the rank. He is totally set against ranks. So am I. We see rank as not a representation as skill level.
    Sorry, but my BS meter is going off. Having been in the BJJ scene for 10 years now, I have a pretty good idea how things work. It doesn't matter whether or not someone "wants' the rank. The instructor just hands him a belt at the end of the class when the student's skill level demonstrates that he is at that belt level. The student has no say in whether or not he wants the rank.

We see rank as not a representation as skill level.
    Really? You train at a BJJ school and you don't see the diffence between the different belt ranks as far as BJJ ground skills? What different belt levels have you grappled against?
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 11-15-2004 at 08:19 PM.