Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Zhang Zhuan and martial arts...

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott_Hall
    I've said my piece. Whatever works for you.

Shi li = seeking force/strength. The moving part of Yiquan. Starts with arm movements that lead to full body movements and are later combined with mocabu to eventually form part of jianwu. Its where you find the opposing forces and directional forces that lead to hunyuanli, or 'six-directional force' (I still think 'omni-directional force' migh be a better translation though).

Thank you for that translation. And your right its all about what works for you.

Rick,

Thanks for the suggestions on websites/boards. I knew of a few of them from www.chinafrominside.com and have started digging into some of the others.

Elliot,

Thanks for your input as well.

Both of you make valid comments and clear points on the practice.

I soak up as much info as I can and it either validates something I am doing (like the archive on Rick's site) or it adds a peice that I might think about or try in my own practice.

I have been doing stance keeping for about three and a half years, which for me, has been long enough to realize the benefits and know that the continuous training will only improve these benefits.

I think it's clear that only Yi Quan is Yi Quan, much in the way that only Xing Yi is Xing Yi, etc. and as far as "cross-pollination" I agree with Elliot in that these are small peices of something that in itself is a complete system.

I practice Ba Gua and within the training we are taught standing practice.
    IMO the standing practice that I have maintained has made a significant difference in my ability to practice everything else. I am sold on it! Obviously, I can only practice what I have been taught and try to perfect it.

Thanks again for the links and info...

Practice, Patience, Persistance

A few questions have come to mind that I would be interested in hearing some opinions on.

If you do not live near a Yi Quan teacher, are the seminars really worth the money? Obviously, it depends on who is leading the seminar, but even with the ideal instructor, would it be benificial enough to justify the cost?

I have gathered that learning something like Yi Quan from a book would be nearly impossible-I, for one, would not argue that point. However, if previously trained in IMA would this make the practices/concepts any easier to grasp?
    I would be interested to hear from anyone who has studied an IMA and moved to Yi Quan practice-particularly about the similarities/differences.

In the study of Kung Fu, I learned of Ba Gua, Tai Chi and Xing Yi and wanted a deeper understanding-In the study of Ba Gua I have learned of Yi Quan and now I would like a deeper understanding of this...

Best regards,

Where are you? There are people practicing across the country of greater and lesser skill, who could get you started. If you want to send me a PM, I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Rick,

I tried to PM you with no luck. A message pops up saying you do not accept emails? Maybe I did something wrong...

I live in Denver, so if you have any info, you can PM me or post it here. Either way works for me.

Thanks!

In Denver?

Go to Emptyflower.com and look up the member "Iwalkthecircle".
    There is a hotbed of Gao style practitioners and SC (through John Wang Laoshi)
    happening there.

There also may be a group forming through one of the Taiwan Yizong Seniors happening in the fall.

Bai He is right. There's good BGZ to be found in Colorado. To me, it's more important to find a great teacher, no matter what style he teaches.

As for YiQuan, I don't know of any teachers or study groups in your area, however, with a solid background in stance from BGZ, you could certainly profit from seminars when they come your way.

It wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on some of the websites and forums I've indicated to keep up with what's going on in the Yiquan world, and who may be coming to your area (or to a place you might travel to). For example, Fong Ha was in Iowa of all places not too long ago, which wouldn't be a bad ride from Colorado, if you really wanted to learn.

Good luck in your training.

If you do these "seminars", make sure you engage the teacher respectfully and ask a lot of questions.

I see so many people who get awestruck at high level skills and turn into wallflowers and walk away without seizing the opportunity to really pick their brains.
    I see so many seminars where the "Master" is rather bored. Enthusiasm breeds enthusiasm. If you pay your money, don't expect something to be handed to you.
    Come prepared with a list of questions and ask respectfully . It is rather discouraging for some of these people fly over 11 hours to try and share this stuff.
    Most of the ones I've met, don't do it for the money at all. They do it to meet people like you and I.

Again, PARTICIPATE.... Don't waste your time or theirs.

One of the greats I met once said:

" They ask the wrong questions and they don't ask enough of them."

I am no master, but I do teach here in Albuquerque, NM. which is not terribly close, but not terribly far from Denver. I teach Yi Chuan, Shanxi Xing Yi, and a bit of Taiji. You are always welcome if interested.
    Cheers
    Jake Burroughs
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

"Uncle" Bill DeThouars and his seniors are out that way as well, teaching Kuntao Silat.

standing meditation is similar to a horse stance which is much more rigorous, stnding meditation aids in relaxation and natural balance freeflowing in movement and choosing the natural path of less resistance. an excellent way to build strength(not power as much) is to modify reps into a static ex.(lift and hold)but start with very light weight first(even gravity is enough resistance for a static excercise) the emphasis is on the amount of time held suspended, building willpower, and resistance to muscular fatigue it is a workout for your mind as well as your body and i dare not leave out the most crucial component BREATHING!try to stay calm as you exert. do not overstrain yourself its not necessary, always try to relax. to build power though you should focus on lifting heavier weight in small bursts or reps this method is commonly used by powerlifters and will aid in your ability to lift heavier weight. static excersises bring out the full potential energy of your existing muscles. i recommend training in both, but really stress static postures, if you really wish to improve learn a set of static postures. hung gar uses them, i have a system that works well for beginners just holler.

As described, this is a much different type of standing than YiQuan uses.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. That definitely gives me a lot of options.

I am starting to look into everything as I have time.

Happy training!!!

Practice, Patience, Persistance

Quote Originally Posted by BAI HE
    In Denver?

Go to Emptyflower.com and look up the member "Iwalkthecircle".
    There is a hotbed of Gao style practitioners and SC (through John Wang Laoshi)
    happening there.

There also may be a group forming through one of the Taiwan Yizong Seniors happening in the fall.

hey thanks for the ad....

we crossed hands yesterday at 5:30am~8am, a very nice workOut.....

we had fun.... i got to practice some sc throws on him too....

cheers,
    JH =)
    My radio station:: http://launch.yahoo.com/lc/?rt=0&rp1=0&rp2=1224612862

----------
    "iWalkTheCircle moves like a weed blown in the wind. Soft flexible and irritating as hell when you want to hit him." --Topher

I'll second all of that! It was very nice to practice with someone who knows other styles. Very rewarding!

Thanks for the hook up Bai He.