Thread: New juicer

New juicer

Following on from my wheatgrass thread, I got my new juicer yesterday. Made up some carrot and apple to try it out. Nice, but one apple and one carrot made not much juice. I went down the local store and bought up some fruit and vegies. Made up some more juice with 3 large celery sticks, 2 large carrots, 4 red apples, 1/4 rockmelon, 1 red capsicum, couple of handfuls of strawberries. That made about 1L of juice. Mmmm-mmmmm! It was pretty good. Maybe I should've strained it though - I left the strainer out and got a bunch of "bits" in the juice. I usually like "bits" in my juice, but some were a bit irritating on the throat. To top it off, making the juice is good exercise! It's also easy to clean - just take it apart and rinse it off under water.

All-in-all I'm happy with first impressions of the juicer. Price wasn't bad, either. It's obviously more expensive to make juice than buy premade juice, but it tasted better, even my "throw-everything-in" juice recipe. I'll have to try out some proper recipes and see how good I can get it. Don't take that as an invitation to post recipes though . Every time you do that, I get god**** hungry here at uni where I can't do anything about it ! J/k - post recipes if you want.

Next step is to try and grow the wheatgrass. I bought some wheatgrass juice in the city last week and didn't mind it at all. Kinda sweet.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Who's braggin?

WHO'S BRAGINN???!!!!???!!!!

mickey

I'm braggin'

But anyone else can too . This particular juicer seems like the most popular one in Oz - dunno about the States - and it's pretty cheap too. AUD$89 for me, which is probably about US$65.

On a tangent - I wonder how pumpkin juice would taste? I've just hollowed out a pumpkin to carve for my kids today.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

Hell yeah, Mr Toby. I just got my juicer (the Jack LaLane Power Juicer... haha) this weekend and tried it out for the first time last night. That is some tasty stuff. Seems like it'll be tons of cash on fruits and veggies though. I need to start buying in bulk.

Yup. No doubt it's more expensive than buying juice. I made two glasses on the weekend for me and my wife. It had two apples, two pears, 3 large celery sticks, 3 carrots, 1 kiwifruit . OTOH, I was with my mum when she bought some carrots for the horses - 20kg for $6. That's pretty economical. And IME carrots and celery juice pretty well.

you also have to factor in quality to the equasion.

you arent going to get 1/2 the benifit from twice the amount of the bottled stuff as you will from fresh juiced goodness. seriously ... i been juicing some shiznit for a while now.

plus it really depends on what your getting too. in my area (northern panhandle wv) its actually cheaper to get enough fl oranges for a qt than to buy krogers brand or whatever. it's a lot more work, and it's not by more than 50 cents, but i think it is slightly cheaper at the fruit store in dese parts. im sure its more expenseive when you get all fancy like your getting but i tend to do just oranges or apples cause they be cheap.
    where's my beer?

Yeah, at the moment I just use whatever's in the fruit bowl. I've gotta start looking at bulk places instead. Shame of it is that we used to have neighbours that at this time of the year would give us buckets and buckets of non-marketable peaches from their orchard. They would have bruises and blemishes that you'd have to cut out, but tasted unreal. They just couldn't possibly sell them commercially. Last year was their first mango crop, so we got buckets of those as well. Unfortunately, they moved out 6mths ago. Dunno if you'd ever find a place that sold blemished fruit like that but it'd be a godsend if you could.

GDA, you're spot on about the quality/quantity thing - you can definitely taste it.

My approach is somewhat different and slighly cheaper,any fruits such as bannas apples grapes Kwiwi.... etc I generally peel/ core and then throw into the blender.
    I reserve the juicer for veges and WG that don't blend whole so well.Usually carrot ginger garlic celery caps.
    Then the jucie goes into the blender(with whatever whole fruit I want) with a few ice cubes, blend and drink.That way I get a few whole peices of fruit plus the jucie of some vegies.

When I first got it I also spent a about a week juicing everything I could lay my hands on,but have now settled down into a regular thing that evolves around the above vegs depending on how I am feeling and whats cheap at paddies.
    Just make sure you continue to use it past its fad weeks
    Only joking guys I'm sure you will all become committed juicaholics.
    Like I said before a usefull bit of kit.
    A Problem is only a Problem if you think it is a Problem and every Problem has a solution

Don't worry about losing lass,I've been wrestling wolves since you were suckling on your mama's titt
    Groundskeeper Willy

ka brings up a good point .... i remember reading in my juicer manual to avoid soft fruits such as pears and bannanas in the juicer as it will clog the mesh and what not. says to use a blender just like ka was saying.
    where's my beer?

man i havent used my juicer since we moved .... **** always feels a little weird in my stomach first couple days.
    where's my beer?

I'm feeling like some juice today. I might knock off early and head down the supermarket and pick up some f & v. I'm actually getting my act together and going to get some organic soil tomorrow and some extra seed so I can start my wheatgrass program. I've had to wait 'cause most gardening stores we've tried haven't had organic. Dunno how important it is, but every wheatgrass site says to use organic soil.