Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aikido and Internal MA connected?

Aikido and Internal MA connected?

In another thread I sited several techniques that Pa Kua, Hsing-i, and Aikido appear to share, which are not just similar, but identical both in structure and application. I'm curious to see others thoughts on this, as I've trained a bit in all three.

The thing is, these aren't just common similarities. I wouldn't be surprised to see a front snap kick taught by any of the karate or Tae Kwon Do styles, or a hook punch shared between boxing and Muay Thai for example. These are practical and logical techniques that could be developed in any country, at any time, by any people, because they are efficient and practical.

Instead, the techniques I'm thinking of I had thought to be pretty unique. While they're natural for thier intended purpose, they're more sophisticated than usual. For example, "Golden Phoenix Spreads Wings" is a Pa Kua movement which to the untrained eye would have no practical application at all. It involes spreading your arms out, with elbows bent palm up while you step forward and turn. I'd never seen it before in another art until I was taught it in Aikido as Kokyu-ho, and though it's extremly unusual looking, it makes for an incredibly effective throw.

Aikido also features beng chuan, tsuan chuan, and pi chuan. In fact these are the only hand techniques formally taught in most Aikido sylabuses. Aikido calls them Tsuki, Gyate-tsuki, and Shomen-uchi. Power is generated in an identical way as far as I can tell, and the basic training method of line walking is the same also.

Foot work in Aikido is pretty linear having more in common with Gao Pa Kua or Hsing-i, but the toes are always turned out in Ko-bu unless the Aikidoist is using a Bai-bu step which we call "Tenkan".

As with Hsing-i, Aikido's empty hand techniques all translate to the armed techniques, and the preferred weapons are very similar. Hsing-i uses Spear and saber extensively, while Aikido uses Short Spear (in practice we use Jo), and Katana (Bokken). The Jo is used in the very same way as the Spear is used in Hsing-i.

Someone posted something around here a few months ago where they noted that during their trip to Bejing University they were asked to demonstrate Aikido. The University coaches exclaimed that what they were doing looked just like Pa Kua. I don't necessarily think this means that Aikido came from China, but it's very interesting how similar the philosophy and actual techniques are to some CMA.

The reason that it seems so strange that Aikido has so many similarities between these arts is that Aikido has few similarities to any other traditional Japanese art. You'd think an art supposedly developed in recent times and based on older Japanese arts would look more like them. Could it be that O-Sensei, Aikido's founder, borrowed a little from CMA? Or could it be that because he had similar goals to the internal styles that he came up with similar methods independantly?
    Bodhi Richards

2. I have never studied Aikido. I'm just wondering does it share anything similar to the Liu He (Six Harmony) coordination used in Xingyi and other Chinese internal styles for power generation??

It is well knwon that O-Sensei Ushiba spent time in China before returning to Japan to create Akido. The most likely art he studied in China is Bagua.

As far as the Liu He are concerned, it's a tough call. The terminology between the arts is different but the mechanics appear to be very similar. The preffered on-guard stance (I hesitate to call it that as most Aikido postures are transitional) is the same stance taken in Pi Chuan for San Ti. The weight is more forward in Aikido, say 70/30 as opposed to 40/60.

If you've studied an IMA for awhile, you'll notice that weight distribution can vary quite a bit between teachers, let alone styles so I'm not sure how important the weight distribution difference really is. At any rate, the Aikidoka is told to move from Tanden (Dan Tien), stay relaxed, keep elbows connected to the body and dropped at all times, move from ground up, relax, extend Ki (Qi), use the eyes to focus intentent (yi), and maintain a calm spirit (shen).

So to answer you xingyiman, I'd have to say that yes, on the surface it appears that the six harmonies are recognized in Aikido, just not called such per se.

I hadn't even thought of looking for the Liu he in Aikido until now. I'll have to explore that one further in practice. Thanks!
    Bodhi Richards

Oh, and as far as the Pa kua O-Sensei may have studied, on the surface (once again, I'm no expert), I would think it might have been Gao style as there is so much linear stuff going on with the footwork. That might explain why there's alot of Hsing-i stuff I'm noticing.

I've always maintained a healthy level of scepticisim concerning a connection between the three arts, but my actual personal experience keeps leading me in that direction.
    Bodhi Richards

Re: Aikido and Internal MA connected?

Originally posted by Samurai Jack
    Aikido also features beng chuan, tsuan chuan, and pi chuan. In fact these are the only hand techniques formally taught in most Aikido sylabuses. Aikido calls them Tsuki, Gyate-tsuki, and Shomen-uchi. Power is generated in an identical way as far as I can tell, and the basic training method of line walking is the same also.

Actually, they are not similar. They may look similar to the outside viewer, but the power generation and body method is not the same. But you have to feel it, to notice the difference.
    "I'm into murders and executions, mostly"

How is power generated in aikido anyway? I mean, do they have "internal" strength building exercises like standing post?

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

How is power generated in aikido anyway?

As I already mentioned, the Aikidoka basically generates power from the axis of the Tanden, or center. We also adhere to the six harmonies, although we don't call it such.

I mean, do they have "internal" strength building exercises like standing post?

We close each class with Kokyu dosa (breath exercise), and throughout form work we are constantly being admonished to use our centers, and recieving corrections to physical posture and the like. There are a multitude of various exercises, but I've never heard anything like "this exercise is for ki", or "this exercise is external only". It seems like this concept of internal/external is limited to China from what I can tell.

Sifu Mike Patterson, of Hsing-i fame, says that the distinction is really one of geography. He claims that the "internal" styles are simply the styles which are indigenous to China, basically those not based on Shaolin, while the external styles are all based on imports.

Alot of historians credit Sun Lu Tang with coining the phrase Internal Martial Art in order to make a distinction between his Neija Chuan and the rest.

I'm no expert in this field though, so to answer the question, I don't know.
    Bodhi Richards

Felipe, I'm willing to take your word for it, but out of curiosity, what experience do you posses in the way of Aikido?
    Bodhi Richards

Hi Samurai Jack

I practiced Aikido for a year or so before I started training Choy Li Fut (before I changed to Xingyi). That was like 15 years ago.

I've met several Aiki masters - none of them exhibited the power generation or skills of Xing-yi.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

MonkeySlap Too, I've met some absolutely astounding Hsing-i masters (George Xu, Vince Black, Mike Patterson, Leung Ke Hua), and they were no more or less astounding than the Aikido Shihan I've met. The power generation is similar. Who exactly were the "masters" you've met?

Felipe, if I told you I only trained Hsing-i a "year or so" before making definitive statements about your art, how seriously would you take my comments?

Anyhow, I didn't post this thread to argue with people who don't know the topic and aren't interested in exploring it. If nobody has any facts to add, I think I'll bow out for now.
    Bodhi Richards

Felipe, if I told you I only trained Hsing-i a "year or so" before making definitive statements about your art, how seriously would you take my comments?
    I would take them seriously if you were around Hsing I people all the time.

You asked me about my experience with Aikido myself. But apart from that, I've been around aikidokas for a long time, sharing stuff.

Take my comments seriously, or don't take them. You asked for opinions, I gave you mine. Other people have agreed with what I've said, but it seems that you've made up your mind already.

Good luck, then

Oh...

Anyhow, I didn't post this thread to argue with people who don't know the topic and aren't interested in exploring it. If nobody has any facts to add, I think I'll bow out for now.
    Ok, man.
    Last edited by Felipe Bido; 11-03-2004 at 01:58 PM.

1- Any external ( to the visible eye) similarities between tai chi, xing yi and bagua techniques could probably be traced to cross training and/or copying of techniques over the years. Not a big deal.

2- I have heard before the aikido has bagua influences and I could beleive it.

3- I was once told by an extremely experienced aikidoist (20-30 years expereince) that aikido only appears circular but is actually linear. ( I dont know enough to have an opinion on that but I will take his word for it)

4- From my personal experience people heavily into the japanese arts tend (aikido, diato ryu, and "koryu budo" tend to discredit any similiarity between the japanese arts and the chinese arts that predate them.
    [i]Originally posted by [Censored]

And I would never ever train at any cult school with a "wall of shame".

At any rate, the Aikidoka is told to move from Tanden (Dan Tien)
    'Move from the dantien' can mean, I think, two different, though related, things -- movement which is coordinated around the dantien as a center, and movement which results from articulations of the dantien. I think the Aikido mandate to 'move from the Tanden' certainly addresses the former of these ideas, but does it also address the latter? Are there any exercises in Aikido that develop dantien articulation?