Thread: "centreline" and "vertical fist"

vertical fist Guest

"centreline" and "vertical fist"

Hey Whipping Hand, in a closed thread you asked me if I ever heard of "centreline" or "straightline" and stated that "vertical fist" does'nt exist.

http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/Open...9611920362&p=3

Yes, I'm familiar with centreline theory.

Now... dare I ask where you were going with this? :confused: Because it seemed off topic in that thread. I'm curious.

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."

kungfu cowboy Guest
    Something whipping this way comes....

Sharky Guest
    one may wonder, if straight a answer from his mouth can come

================================================== =
    The battle started with a grapple, he had real long hair so a grabbed a hand full, and chopped 'em in the Adams-apple, his partner in back of you tried to attack you, so I'ma twist 'em up like a pret-zel then I'ma tag you/I can't believe he wanna grapple again, I swung 'em around like I was dancing wit 'em, put his arms in back of his head and snapped 'em again, I fractured his limbs and put em in the figure-"6 subtracted from 10"...

whippinghand Guest

'twas

very much on topic. But the topic is closed.
    Sorry you missed it...

vertical fist Guest

centerline vertical fists

yut jee chong kuen
    cheh kuen
    syeung kuen

That's where I got "vertical fist". It was one of the first things taught to me regarding WC; vertical fist punches as opposed to Western boxing punches.
    Did you have a different perspective?

NafAnal Guest

Actually

All the old bare knuckle boxers preffered the vertical fist. Jack Dempsey did as well.

vertical fist Guest
    Yeah, then I guess the science of taping hands evolved and the gloves got bigger and more padded and boxers punches went horizontal for hooks and what not right?

I heard punches thrown with horizontal fists can break one's hand sometimes. If you break your hand, then you can't pick rice no more. You're useless to your village. So Eastern fighting styles, like KF and Silat, evolving over hundreds of years, never developed Western style boxing hooks and crosses. Hence the longevity of, the vertical fist.

whippinghand Guest
    It depends on where you hit.

NafAnal Guest
    Whipping hand is as usual correct. Some schools of WC emphasize this....

When you hit high, you want to maintain that structure in arm, so you hit with the bottom three knuckles and with a vertical fist.

But if you want to hit lower down, try hitting with a vertical fist. Notice that the bottom three knuckles don't hit first. So to maintain the structrure and hit with the three knucles you're going to have to hit more like a karate seiken tsuki. i.e. fist more horizontal

If you hit very high, again notice that with the vertical fist, the bottom knuckle hits first, not what you want, so rotate the hand so the palm is almost facing upwards, now notice that the structure is maintained.

chi-kwai Guest
    Its hard to be wrong when you typically say ten words or less.

--
    chi kwai

vertical fist Guest
    Yes, that is what I've been taught. Not only is it for the knuckle impact but also the bone alignment in the arm more effectively allows power (chi) to move up and out from the lower pyramid.

"It depends on where you hit." Breaking your hand depends on where you hit. I think that's what WH was referring to. Or he was saying that the existence of vertical fists depends on where you hit. :confused: :rolleyes: :)

whippinghand Guest
    ... where you hit and what results are desired.

vertical fist Guest

Ok, now I see what you were saying.

Thank you for setting me on the right path. :cool: