Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Women in Martial Arts Schools

Question Women in Martial Arts Schools

Has anyone noticed the dynamic between male and female interacting in thier kwoon? Are females generally relaxed or self conscious in this male dominated path?

Males : Do you think that women in the kwoon have confidence issues or do they participate just as well as the guys ?

Women : What are some of your concerns in the Kwoon?

thanks

I see the way both act the same, they are both shy at first. but then warm up. I think they perform just as well. things that require more muscle (push ups and such) they dont but they are still tough cookies. and get better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    SC107, are just trying to get MY fired up?????

seriously though, good topic and one that I think takes a backseat to people being PC too ****ed much.

At this point I think my school enrollment is about 60/40 men/women so gender differences/similarities/interaction is something I think about a lot.

but, I don't have any answers.

I have a super fiesty 48 year old woman who was complaining about being hit too hard by the young guys and I had to explain to her it was because SHE was hitting harder than she thought she was.

My biggest problem is the number of 14-15 year old males I have that develop crushes and tend to pester the women a bit much during class. Nothing that I feel I've had to say anything about and the women in question are quite capable of gently putting them in their place.

I try to be gender neutral in my teaching and approach things from a size perspective versus a gender perspective. I think this is a more valid way to teach instead of drawing lines along gender type.

I haven't had any woman lately who have been less confident than the new guys. And really, I can't remember there being any more less confident women than men in any class. there are always some of both genders who are very shy to start.

oh, and in my school Ming Yue is pushup queen and king!
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

women tend to be more self concious for the most part. Everyone's self concious when they first get into a class but it seems to stick with women more. however I've known a few women who don't seem to be bothered by that sort of thing, they jump right in and get down to business.

I'd also have to say that the more aggressive the art is, or atleast the class, the lower the female attendance seems to be.

The women in our class are just as confident as the guys. But, they all have some form of athleticism - One of them was on the german national judo team. another has been doing yoga for 10 years, and the third is a stripper....

in the bjj class, the female in class has a sister and brother that do bjj/mma in the cities they live in.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

female judo players are tough! They will abuse you if you are not careful. ex. I was at the judo club on Sat morning open mat and a brand new student stopped by. A female judo player grabbed him for some uchikomi's and proceeded to rip him around the mats! The look on his face was priceless! it was like "What did I do to you lady?"

women in the muay thai program? very timid and reserved. they are the typical 2x a week hobbyist. to them it's just fitness.

I've seen a few women in the bjj program and they are somewhere in between.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

the stripper is used to dancing, and by nature over-uses her hips in every thing. it's absolutely wonderful to watch, but it's a pain trying to correct it, because she just can't stop the hip swinging.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

lots of variables.. really depends on the group. I'm sure that even for men, walking into an ego-heavy school as a newbie can be intimidating.

My experience with self consciousness in women who train has been mostly with teenagers. Most adult women who pursue martial arts are either finally doing something they've been interested in for a long time or are continuing their martial education, either way they've usually done some kind of competitive sport before and are ok with themselves and not there to posture.

Our school truly is without gender bias and I think that's why there is such a high ratio of female students. Women walk in and see other girls who train hard, no politics, no raging egos, no hidden agendas. The women in our class are absolutely as confident as the men.

-C

And Oso, at least the crush seems to rotate through the AMA girls - we all get equal time.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

www.curious3d.com

the stripper is used to dancing, and by nature over-uses her hips in every thing. it's absolutely wonderful to watch, but it's a pain trying to correct it, because she just can't stop the hip swinging.
    You say that like it's a problem..
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

that's a problem I don't mind dealing with.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

look people
    women in martial arts is nothing but a manifestation of the phenomenon described as the collective hallucination, in other words, its a creation of your own minds.
    so i suggest you just quit this discussion before it takes over your sense of reality

I wish there were more women in the martial arts Young, single, hot ones.

Ahh this thread is just a transparent attempt for Star chaser to try and chat up the ladies on the forum........you've been well sussed you dawg!!

Thumbs up

Don't be hating... just start dating

but seriously, if you have thoughts otherwise on the matter (aside from regarding my intentions with suspicion
    ) feel free to share

the females in my school i view as kungfu sisters and the same with the males.

they work just as hard as others, and their level is that to equal of males.

if you are at a school where attractive women are there and all you think about is how much you want to have sex with her, then it would seem to me that you would need to take a look at yourself and your position in the school.

i would be insulting my school, teacher, and other students if i was acting that way. sure we are guys, and sex is just there in our heads, but viewing the school as a brother and sisterhood where we are all working on kungfu puts thing is proper perspective.

sure, it is ok to notice a pretty girl, but let it pass thru you and realize that she is there to learn and practice like you are.

i seriously question a school or student that would allow behavior like that. ego and sexual desire for fellow students should have no place in a kungfu school. sure things happen outside like if students go out and stuff, but never should happen in the school.

...in my opinion, and understanding of cma.

cma is more than just the movements to everyone else too right? that is how you were taught?
    My school: http://pailumwarrior.com/