Thread: Chinese med. pregnancy, delivery, postpartum

Chinese med. pregnancy, delivery, postpartum

Hello,

I haven't been visiting here often since I had my baby 6 months ago. I did a write up on the Chinese herbs that I used. etc. We did the delivery at home by ourselves. I guess that is illegal in California, which is strange to me. California is generally so liberal. Anyways, the one that helped the most was Ginseng after the delivery when I started to go into shock. You can check it out here:
    http://chinesetherapeutics.org/moirasbirth.html

I will try to start visiting and posting again here more regularly.

C

Congratulations on having your baby. Do you not plan on taking your baby to be vaccinated and checked by an M.D.? Just curious.

Hello,

We haven't taken her to a doctor and I won't get her vaccinated, unless perhaps one or 2 if we move to Central America or Africa. I don't think I'm going to need to take her to an MD.

One of my teachers, an American trained in Chinese medine specialized in treating children. He argued against vaccination as it is performed today from the perspective of Chinese medicine 4 levels theory. 4 levels theory has to due with the invasion of a heat pathogen. It first invades at the most superficail lever the wei or defensive level, then can move deeper to the Qi level, the Ying or nutritive level and finally the most serious the Xue or blood level. Vacinations send a pathogen directly into the Xue level. So it is pretty serious to just send a pathogen directly into the blood level with allowing the defensive Qi have a chance t o attach it. I don't know that he is right. I know Chinese had some manner of vaccination, which was developed long ago. I don't think via injection, but I may be wrong. Can anyone refresh my memory on that one?
    Last edited by vikinggoddess; 11-04-2004 at 01:01 PM.

Thanks for the link. Just curious.... the Chinese formulas you in the article.... are they traditional herbal formulas (like from the Wan Beng Ging and Shang Han Lun), or are they more contemporary formulas ?

And by the way, congrats on your baby.
    The more you know, the more you find you don't know...

AnTai Wan (Peaceful Fetus Pill) is from the Chan Hou Bian, from Ming Dynasty, 1368-1644. Shih San Tai Pao Wan is modern. The soup formula is cultural based on my understanding; I think many Chinese know it. The other formulas, like for ear infection, and stress incontince I created to meet my needs.

VGoddess:

Thanks.... you are right that the soup formula is a commonly used one... in fact I made that just last week as well. Not that easy to get black chicken here in Florida, but I did manage to find some and was able to make it.
    The more you know, the more you find you don't know...

very interesting article you wrote, vikinggoddess! It is crucial to document the 'people's research' since if you don't, no one will! Your article contains a plethora of useful info - most intriguing to me was your use of Huo Ma (smoked or ingested?) and the battle with the DCF.

again, thank you for your contribution to TCM and to the rights of humans to exist and function simply as they wish!

kind regards and well wishes to the baby,

herb ox

Thank your for your compliments and regards. It is very great to have a husband who can build a server for me to host chinesetherapetuics.org right at my desk. I want it to be for other herbal practitioners, licenced or not, to post these kinds of case studies, papers, etc. It is good for everyone. We don't need to be secretive about formula in my opinion. I just posted to a new page that the yan hu suo or rz. corydalis is good for teething pain. N=1 obviously, for you lab people.

On the Huo Ma, there has been much discussion among the Wise Woman Herbalist on the internet about smoking this one while pregnant. Based on my experience and my learning from other wise woman herbalists, as well as based on the scholarly research and experience of a contributer to the mothering magazine.com huo ma is a safe herb for use during pregnancy and should be considered for severe nausea during pregnancy. There is social stigma about this, but I believe is it based on ignorance or suppression of information. I studied a lot to prepare for the birth because I was relying on myself for a proper outcome. One remarkable note in my studies was how many potential problems can be avoided by proper nutrition during prenatal time. Therefore severe nausea and vomiting during pregancy is not just something to put up with. It is a threat to a safe and natural birth. I would confidently suggest smoking Huo Ma to a family member if low dose fresh ginger tea or perlilla leaf did not significantly reduce severe nausea.

On the DCF. They have lost hundreds of children. Very disfunctional group. Here is a news link: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...home-headlines
    The obvious problem that I see is that anyone can accuse you and they can just barge right into your house and try to make you give up your medical records. I was smart enough to say I had to talk to my lawyer before I did that, but the case worker said he was going to call my midwife and she had to talk. What the hell? And I'm sure she talked to him, because she said she had talked to him about other people before. I'm ranting now, but I had trouble from the fire department too during the hurricanes. The tried to lock me up for 3 day mental evalution using the Baker Act when I went to get benadryl for a bug bite reaction. One excuse they used was that we didn't have power so I couldn't take the baby home. Thousands of people were without power. The bureaucracy is wicked, for real.