Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: phoenixdog's post on seperate issue.

Good question. Without analyzing too deeply here's the quick answer.

First off it's only my belief that the best is at the top and reserved for just a few. There are others who disagree.

I don't switch sides easily.

I have a large investment in time and money in it.

I like it and it seems to fit me well.

I got tired of starting over at each new school so I wanted to stick it out in one place and I happened to move to central Florida and the Temple was the best option.

At 50 years old I don't have the patience to spend years getting to the good stuff that I probably won't be able to do when I finally learn it. Pretty much every school I ever went to re-taught me how to punch. (Example: I've had 3 different Masters show me 3 different ways of doing twisted stance with 3 very good reasons yet contradict each other.) The way I move is ingrained from years of Kenpo and Wah Lum and it's hard as hell to change now even if I do agree with the changes (and I'm pretty set in my ways too). I don't bang, I deflect. Why bust up my arms when I can just avoid or deflect.

I haven't mastered what I've been taught and I believe there's more there than some people seem to think.

I'm unemployed and can't afford to train anywhere else. If anyone wants to share what they invested heavily in for free I'll take it.

And I don't mean to be all negative or anything but I have a history of not fitting in anywhere. Guess it's just me but I really don't expect things to be much different no matter where I go. I'm used to it so it doesn't bother me that much.
    Last edited by Hua Lin Laoshi; 11-08-2004 at 03:28 PM.

Thatīs an interesting thread indeed!

Good posts from everybody!

18elders, can you tell us more about the 2 others wahlum lineages that you mencioned? I am very curious about it, so Iīve always though that gm chan was the only wahlum master that came to the US. PM me if you prefer.

About bengbu X big mantis, at the studentīs handbook thereīs a list of wl forms, both in english and chinese characters. The chinese name (characters) for big mantis is bengbu. I just donīt know why gm chan started to call it that way instead of its original name....

Does anybody here know if thereīs any other wl form that had its name changed? Maybe Tainan, 18elders, Hualinlaoshi?

die huen choy in WL seems identical to sow chui in CLF with the exception that WL uses the mantis forearm and CLF will use front,back,forearm,etc.Knockout strike in WL seems very similar to knockout strike in CLF. Coincidence?

Two of my kung fu brothers now used to train in wah lum, both for at least five years....now they are training in Familly Style CLF..

From seeing some of there forms and the biggest key...sparring with them.....i dont see that much of an influence at all....maybee a few motions but all styles share some connection it seems...

very different power generation and theroy....
    ....both guys are very good fighters also......
    Bryan Davis

After exploring both on a heavy bag,I think you're right.The power generation is different.Similarites are only a coincidence.CLF is like a baseball bat and mantis is like hammer with a bad vibration.
    phoenixdog