Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muay Thai video

To answer the first question, I would train very hard in san shou and hope he doesn't kick my ass.

Re: Re: Fighting muay thai vs wing chun

Originally posted by SevenStar
    Originally posted by Vankuen
    You know no matter where you go online, and what forum you're in, there is always the ongoing "this vs. that" debate. It's just funny how habitual human nature is.

is it habitual, or is it confrontational?

Anyway...I fight both muay thai and wing chun. The most noticable difference I find between the two is that wing chun will stay soft until it explodes into action, whereas in muay thai we tend to muscle everything, training and conditioning is primary. Although the techniques themselves seem to be able to blend well in application.

I've never noticed that. conditioning is key, but we don't muscle through techniques at all. when you are tense and focusing on muscling through something, you lose other things, like mobility and speed.

to elaborate a bit for you Seven, Im not literally speaking of having a tense movement persay, but rather relying on the conditioning of the muscles and cardiovascular to accomplish the goal. In literal terms, I stay loose until I make contact hitting someone/something in MT. Wing chun I stay "soft" even upon contact of bridges, only tensing at the moment of impact on a strike (or I try to anyway)

Fighting is fighting no matter how you look at it, and the human body can only move so many ways. The concepts and theories and how to use when where and why change, but in all reality, nothing much else does. When you're in an outside range, use that type of footwork and technique (Muay thai). For closer ranges, use the applicable techniques there (wing chun and muay thai).

Liek I say, good fighting transcends stylistic differences.

That we do agree on.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."