Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muay Thai video

Muay Thai video

How would you feel about going up a Muay Thai guy? What techniques would you guys use?

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/388/

I would use the Wing Chun straight punch, uppercut, hook, elbows, knees, front kick, side kick, round kick, pushing, grabbing, jerking and that should do it. The rest is just proper distancing and timing and entry footwork. To me Wing Chun is sort of a Thai boxing art as well.
    Victoria, British Columbia, Wing Chun

Thumbs up Re: Video

A lot of hype, but...

I was impressed with the guy's skills. He knows his distancing very well to be able to have punches fly just inches from his face and then launch a kick. Very vicous fighting too. He had the "kung-fu demeanor" about him: confidence, concentration and just plain mean.

Thanks for sharing,
    Couch

Oh and the question about watching that particular fight is that I would step in. The fighter was very smart...using front kicks to not allow people into his inner gates to launch other kicks...

However...when the opponent got in close he used knees and I know how hard it can be to break the clinch.

Ah. Well, I guess I'd buy him a beer and invite him to fight on my side.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Originally posted by YongChun
    To me Wing Chun is sort of a Thai boxing art as well.
    ummmm....no. that's the mistake I've seen/heard alot of people make. They say think that because they have the same or a similar technique that another style does that it's done the same, executed the same, trained the same, etc. that's generally incorrect.

wing chun is what it is - wing chun. you may have applications in it that can apply to fighting a thai boxer, but it's not muay thai.

In bjj, the rolling is similar to chi sao. In muay thai, neck wrestling can be likened to chi sao. Am I doing wing chun because I have chi sao type drills? In bjj, judo and muay thai, we manipulate/exploit the centerline. Because of this, am I doing wing chun?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ummmm....no. that's the mistake I've seen/heard alot of people make. They say think that because they have the same or a similar technique that another style does that it's done the same, executed the same, trained the same, etc. that's generally incorrect.

Ray:

My statement was very general and not a mistake. It's just saying that Wing Chun is more like boxing than like some classical Kung Fu styles like Hung style, Choy Lee Fut, Preying Mantis, Tai Chi etc. When I learned in the Wang Kiu lineage they used that line to just quickly tell people what Wing Chun was like : sort of a cross between boxing and fencing. That's not to say it is boxing, it is fencing, or it is Thai boxing. Wing Chun is it's own art. For me I treat it sort of like another boxing style with it's own training methods. It's boxing as opposed to wrestling although it can have elements of the latter. WC has narrow footwork for mobility, straight, hook and uppercut punches, straight kicks and linear entry as core bread and butter stuff. After that it has lots of other hands, stepping, takedowns, locks etc. So I never said it looks the same as Thai boxing, is trained the same as Thai boxing (but can be) or is the same. It's closer to fencing and boxing than it is to the various classical Kung Fu styles I studied and that's why it is effective sooner as well.

Ray
    Last edited by YongChun; 11-08-2004 at 01:45 PM.

granted, that guy had some fancy dance moves...
    but i reckon i would still beat him in a one on one dance-off
    he was far too jerry rice for my tastes.
    Ecce nunc patiemur philosphantem nobis asinum?

what transcends the buddha and the law? Cakes.

"Practice is better than Art, because your practice will suffice without art, while the art means nothing without practice." - Hanko Doebringer, 14th century

Posted by YongChun

Ray:

My statement was very general and not a mistake. It's just saying that Wing Chun is more like boxing than like some classical Kung Fu styles like Hung style, Choy Lee Fut, Preying Mantis, Tai Chi etc. When I learned in the Wang Kiu lineage they used that line to just quickly tell people what Wing Chun was like : sort of a cross between boxing and fencing

Actually, Wing Chun is no more similar to boxing than Choy Lee Fut.

We also use hooks jabs uppercuts etc...probabbly more hooks than Wing Chun......

Kung Fu is Chinese Boxing.....

Principle and Training methods are what very from style to style.....

peace..
    Bryan Davis

Originally posted by bigdoing
    Posted by YongChun

Actually, Wing Chun is no more similar to boxing than Choy Lee Fut.
    I found in teaching that if I tell the student that Wing Chun is something like boxing, then they are happy, stop asking questions and start learning. They need something to relate to. If they are a Chess player then maybe I tell them Wing Chun is something like Chess. If they are a fencer then I might say Wing Chun is something like fencing, point out a few similarities and a few differences and away we go. If I tell them that Wing Chun is an Internal Kung Fu style or it is a Kung Fu style with hard and soft components then we could go on and on for hours. This way in one minute people are happy because they have some concrete thing to relate to. Later they can see all the differences for themselves. I would rather have the student have the idea it is like boxing then to have the idea that it is like some mythical Kung Fu style that they saw in the movies. That gives them false expectations. With the boxing idea they can relate immediately to the training of hitting things, mobility, conditioning, sparring and the key weapons.

Ray

I agree to explain to a person with no martial experience thats the most practical way to explain what kung fu is....I do the same thing...

....your statement was very specific that WC is related to boxing for than some other arts, and it just is not the case..no waring or anything on my part....

peace...
    Bryan Davis

hmm...muaythai eh?? just watch this... http://www.santoalt.com/boxing_withstyle.php
    Last edited by choyleefat_604; 11-08-2004 at 08:52 PM.

Great Thai fight in that clip.

Ray and Seven star:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wing chun is what it is - wing chun. you may have applications in it that can apply to fighting a thai boxer, but it's not muay thai.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with Seven Star--- wouldnt want wing chun to be muay thai.

For me I just used that line for some new students who want to know what Wing Chun is like. They want to know is it like wrestling or like Judo or like capoeira or like David Carradine's Kung Fu? That's the question some people ask. So I tell them it's something like boxing. Then they are happy and start to learn Wing Chun with the forms, theory, chi sau and all the rest. No one said that Wing Chun is the same as Thai boxing or that we train it in the identical way or anything else like that.

Ray

Fighting muay thai vs wing chun

You know no matter where you go online, and what forum you're in, there is always the ongoing "this vs. that" debate. It's just funny how habitual human nature is.

Anyway...I fight both muay thai and wing chun. The most noticable difference I find between the two is that wing chun will stay soft until it explodes into action, whereas in muay thai we tend to muscle everything, training and conditioning is primary. Although the techniques themselves seem to be able to blend well in application.

Fighting is fighting no matter how you look at it, and the human body can only move so many ways. The concepts and theories and how to use when where and why change, but in all reality, nothing much else does. When you're in an outside range, use that type of footwork and technique (Muay thai). For closer ranges, use the applicable techniques there (wing chun and muay thai).
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Re: Fighting muay thai vs wing chun

Originally posted by Vankuen
    You know no matter where you go online, and what forum you're in, there is always the ongoing "this vs. that" debate. It's just funny how habitual human nature is.

is it habitual, or is it confrontational?

Anyway...I fight both muay thai and wing chun. The most noticable difference I find between the two is that wing chun will stay soft until it explodes into action, whereas in muay thai we tend to muscle everything, training and conditioning is primary. Although the techniques themselves seem to be able to blend well in application.

I've never noticed that. conditioning is key, but we don't muscle through techniques at all. when you are tense and focusing on muscling through something, you lose other things, like mobility and speed.

Fighting is fighting no matter how you look at it, and the human body can only move so many ways. The concepts and theories and how to use when where and why change, but in all reality, nothing much else does. When you're in an outside range, use that type of footwork and technique (Muay thai). For closer ranges, use the applicable techniques there (wing chun and muay thai).

Liek I say, good fighting transcends stylistic differences.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter