Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: contracts

contracts

Would anyone here sign a contract (12months) to attend a school? The only way to break it is to move away from the area.

I wouldn't.

Most schools are going to contracts. If you like the instructor it isnt too bad.

Tell him you will do a six month contract

nope, I won't sign any contracts at all. Contracts are a focal point for a monetary concern. If someone wants to come in and take classes, they shouldn't have to be held to a contract if they decide down the road it's not for them.

tae kwan do schools are big on the year contracts. some even have 2 and 3 year ones. and guess what, their schools are growing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Some instructors have been fortunate enough (or skilled enough) that they are able to make teaching martial arts a living. It is their source of income. It is their business.

and just like any other business you need steady income.

A contract to sign up for matrial arts services is no different than any other business. You are agreeing to pay for the service provided and you are ensuring that he has a stable source of income that will keep his facility and his teaching opporitunities available.

besides I know many people who lack the motivation to come regularly to classes and they often end up making a resolution to themselves "I might as well be here, I'm paying for it!" and drag their butts in to class and before they know it, get in better shape and start looking forward to class.

btw: if you wouldn't sign a contract with a school.. what the hell are you doing there? go somewhere else if you're not sure you want to learn from him for only 12 mo.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

If the instruction is good enough, the students will keep coming month to month and you won't have to rely on legal intimidation to pay your rent.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I'm paying for it!" and drag their butts in to class and before they know it, get in better shape and start looking forward to class.
    yeah but what kind of student are they really going to be?

I guess in my opinion, having contracts is a way of selling out. You've resigned yourself to the fact that you have to twist arms to get people into your school, and that you don't mind filling it with people who wouldn't be there otherwise, except they owe you money, or have paid you lots of money.

I think most places today have monthly, 3,6, and 12 month plans that give discounts for paying longer terms. I think this is an excellent strategy that allows the short timers to come in and overpay, then they won't complain as they leave and lets the long timers pay at a discount.
    "Are you thinking what I'm thinking Pinkey?"

"I think so Brain, but me and Pippy Longstockings, I mean, what would the children look like?"

I'd be ok with optional monthly contracts for discounts. I think then the motivation would be different, you'd still get the people sitting on the fence, but you woudln't make anyone sign up for too long who didn't want to.

Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
    Some instructors have been fortunate enough (or skilled enough) that they are able to make teaching martial arts a living. It is their source of income. It is their business.

and just like any other business you need steady income.

A contract to sign up for matrial arts services is no different than any other business. You are agreeing to pay for the service provided and you are ensuring that he has a stable source of income that will keep his facility and his teaching opporitunities available.

besides I know many people who lack the motivation to come regularly to classes and they often end up making a resolution to themselves "I might as well be here, I'm paying for it!" and drag their butts in to class and before they know it, get in better shape and start looking forward to class.

btw: if you wouldn't sign a contract with a school.. what the hell are you doing there? go somewhere else if you're not sure you want to learn from him for only 12 mo.
    I gree shaoling tiger.

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    If the instruction is good enough, the students will keep coming month to month and you won't have to rely on legal intimidation to pay your rent.
    so you would like to think. but people will like the teacher and class but be like, i live to far away, i have too mcuh other stuff going on. people will always find a reason to get out of something.

Originally posted by red5angel
    yeah but what kind of student are they really going to be?

I guess in my opinion, having contracts is a way of selling out. You've resigned yourself to the fact that you have to twist arms to get people into your school, and that you don't mind filling it with people who wouldn't be there otherwise, except they owe you money, or have paid you lots of money.
    thats why there are introductory classes. so the student can do it and decide whether or not to take class. i have met teachers who try to sign you up before you take class. so the person should be interested befor signing up and there are always out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
    so you would like to think. but people will like the teacher and class but be like, i live to far away, i have too mcuh other stuff going on. people will always find a reason to get out of something.
    If they don't want to be there in the first place, they typically aren't going to be an asset to the class. You ever try teaching someone who would rather be home watching "Survivor"?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

MK, If you are going to suceed as a business, you will have to teach those people as well as having a core group of dedicated students.

let them decide where they fall.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

I agree. I'm just saying that people who are forced to come to class usually don't put forth the necessary effort once they get there, anyway. People who want to learn and succeed usually don't need a motivating factor to get their @ss of the couch and make the drive. Everyone gets fly-by-night students walking in the door that take a couple of weeks of classes and then decide to move on. Making them sign a contact just forces them to keep coming, which takes away from the quality of training for the more serious students.

thats why there are introductory classes. so the student can do it and decide whether or not to take class. i have met teachers who try to sign you up before you take class. so the person should be interested befor signing up and there are always out.
    I'm not sure what your experience has been but typically it seems that people tend to come for a couple of weeks, or maybe even a month or two before really deciding not to come again. An introductory class may weed out some dreamers but certainly not the majority of them.