Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BLOG for the 11 Year old

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

BLOG for the 11 Year old

ok, spinning off of the TUT thread about my 11 year old student.

Did the pushups last night w/ the mats stacked up.

He got 3 good pushups off of a stack of mats 24" high.

I talked w/ him about the need to do the exercise with the correct form and that it was more important to do a lesser number correctly than a higher number poorly and that he would get stronger faster this way.

I explained to him that from a base of 3 we would shoot for 5 good ones then drop 2" off of the stack of mats and stay there until he could do 5 at that level and eventually work our way down to where he was doing 5 good ones on the floor.

what do you guys think of that progression?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Looks good. I actually recommend a silimar progression for doing a proper 1-arm push-up.

FWIW Oso, he responded better to the detail work the rest of class as well.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

www.curious3d.com

three points for team oso.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Thanks, Ford.

three points for team oso.

I meant to say the MY would and could chime in as well since she actually spends more time with him than I do.

and, MY, I did seem to notice that he did pretty well the rest of class but actually chalked it up to the fact that you seemed to be in the groove as well.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Thanks Sifu.

I talked to him some about playing more to his strengths, which pumped him up - but he generally motivates well for me.

Do his full situps with the double cross punching drill, he digs that and will crank out 10 more than usual. I'm thinking about holding the mitt for the scissors as well - any thoughts on that?
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

www.curious3d.com

Nice. The mat idea was better than my stair idea because it allows for more gradual progression.

Good work.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

at MY

'scissors' as in leg lifts? sounds good.

While we're sorta on the topic of kids training:

The one thing I've had to do w/ every kid/teen that has come in is talk about eating.

I've got a 17 year old that eats nothing but hot dogs. No ****. Won't eat vegetables, hardly eats at all from what his mom says.

I've had to emphasize that if you want to do any sort of physical training you must eat right.

What the hell are parents doing?

Originally posted by Oso
    What the hell are parents doing?
    Judging by the physiques and attitudes of our current crop of kids? Sticking their collective thumbs up their collective asses whilst banging their collective heads against a brick wall, all while screaming "I'm a good parent, ******!"
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

funny

yea, I had to explain the relationship between protein/muscles/strength.

after talking with some of them I realized they weren't even hitting the USRDA for protein much less for any sort of training regimen.

I told them A) do their own research and B) at least try to intake the USRDA.

Originally posted by Oso
    after talking with some of them I realized they weren't even hitting the USRDA for protein much less for any sort of training regimen.
    Wow, the USRDA is like 60g. That's not much at all. I guess it's a good amount if you like to sit around and watch tv all day.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

right, 60 for men and 45 for women.

But, as an untrained, uncertified nobody I'm not qualified to say anything else.

that's why I tell them to do their own research.

my own guide for just normal sorta training is 1/2 my bodyweight in grams of protein...which is, ahem, about 120 grams a day.

I've talked different approaches with students I've had for a while and trust has developed. but, I still qualify what I say as my opinion.

Also, these are teens who weigh between 110-140 so if they are actually getting 60 grams then that's not to bad, imo.

but, all that is why, as soon as I have $400-$600 to spend, I'm gonna get some education and certification.

Originally posted by Oso
    but, all that is why, as soon as I have $400-$600 to spend, I'm gonna get some education and certification.
    Slightly OT, but a certification doesn't mean jack **** in regards to education or mastery of the given subject. It just means you dropped some serious dime and have a rudimentary knowledge of the science and application thereof.

Even more OT, a certification, even when coupled with a certain understanding of the science and the application thereof, and the people skills necessary to effectively get the job done don't guarantee employment . . . even if you were guaranteed it beforehand . . . ****in *******s . . .

Yeah, but it does mean that he can give advice in class and not be sued for it.

Well, he's less likely to be sued for it.

Although, you guys are in America............

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

We are a sue-happy people.

Or a completely bat-**** insane people, I've yet to decide on that.