Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pleasure and pain

Pleasure and pain

Another juice thread . Last night after training I came home to just over a pound of chopped chicken breast, some cheese and lettuce with which to make burritos. Several later, I decided to make some juice. 1 (or 2?) orange(s), 1/2" ginger, 1 punnet strawberries, 2 large slices watermelon == 700ml (25 fl.oz.) of juicy goodness. Oh, I was in heaven. A couple of posts on kfm, a shower and a protein shake later and I was ready for bed. Or so I thought. I had stomach cramps from "eating" too much and lay in a foetal position for a long time before falling asleep . But man, that juice was good at the time!

This morning I made an apple, a pear, 1/2" ginger, 3 carrots, 3 celery sticks, 2 slices of watermelon for another 700ml of juice. It seems that no matter what I put in, it tastes unreal. Hard on the intestinal system, though .
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

You ate several burritos and drank one juice and you're blaming the juice for your stomach cramps!?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

I ate a ****load of chicken, true. But I usually eat a lot after training and follow up with a protein shake an hour or so later before bed. So the unusual thing was the juice. I drank it in one go and as it went down I felt my stomach straining at the volume. It wasn't only the juice, but that was what tipped me over the edge. I would've been alright without it. Tasted grrreat, though .

On a side note, who knows about ginger? I started adding it on Ka's advice and it's excellent, but is it tough on you? Last night I put about say, the equivalent of your index finger from the last knuckle down, and the same this morning. It gives a great "bite", but is that too much?
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

also be aware that tossing down a ton of really cold stuff can do it, regardless of volume. your tummy, which may have too little blood (from the workout -- it's all in your quads), too much (from the burrito), or a unhappy combination of the two (blood simply not where you need it), is sitting happy at 98.6°F, and all of a sudden, some nitwit tosses back a litre of 38° juice and your poor tummy simply says to itself, "lousy ****er things he can do this to me?! i'll show him!"

slower next time, cap'n, slower. be good to your buddha. otherwise, it'll cramp up like a sum*****.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Yeah, rtb's right about the temperature thing. That could well be a factor.

The amount of ginger you're using is fine, but have days off. Ginger is one of the four great essentials:

Onion, Garlic, Chilli, Ginger

These things are beyond wonderful and should be used in as much food as possible.

But seriously, they are so good for you, it's unbelievable.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

Temperature? Maybe. The strawberries and watermelon were in the fridge, so it was cooler than the usual fruitbowl room-temperature juice.

I'm a big fan of garlic. Onion? Both onion and garlic are neglected a bit in my diet because with a breastfeeding wife I can't cook with it. Chilli - I love it so much it makes my pants feel tight. One thing Americans are good at is making hot sauce. I've got some super-death hot sauce that my parents brought me last time they were in the states that I swear is the hottest product ever made. It's in a Tabasco-sized bottle that's still 2/3 full after almost 2yrs. Why? Because 3-4 drops is more than enough to take you through a whole dinner plate of food. 4 drops in a can of baked beans is too much. 3 is just right. I would pay good money to see someone eat even a teaspoon of this stuff. They got me a 2nd bottle of a different one, but both expire next year and there's no way I'll get through the first one . But yeah, I love spicy. Mexican, Szechuan, Thai, Indian - I'm hungry just thinking about it. I'm even willing to pay the "sweaty-freak-in-the-restaurant-look" and "morning-after-colonic-irrigation" prices for spicy foods. Mmmm, lucky I'm going out for Japanese tomorrow night to satiate my foreign food fetish. Even better? I'm not paying .

Originally posted by Toby
    I'm a big fan of garlic. Onion? Both onion and garlic are neglected a bit in my diet because with a breastfeeding wife I can't cook with it.
    Wow, that sucks!
    Chilli - I love it so much it makes my pants feel tight.
    LOL! Me too!
    They got me a 2nd bottle of a different one, but both expire next year and there's no way I'll get through the first one .
    Kick it to me! Kick it to me!

Hmm. I may be able to do that. Lemme check when I get home. It's in the fridge although things like that usually don't have to be until opened. If it's not necessary to refridgerate it I'll get back to you. Bear in mind that although unopened (AFAI can remember) it's almost 2yrs old .

Breastfeeding mums (sp ) can eat garlic and onion, etc, but it upsets the baby's stomach. Same with alcomohol. My wife hasn't drunk for about 5yrs. Just as she finishes feeding one, I give 'er another . We're finished now though, so I'll get her smashed in a few months. With the garlic etc, the baby'll just have trouble sleeping and probably mild stomach cramps. I'm sure you can empathise with the importance of baby sleeping at night, so we do anything we can to avoid stomach upsets .

T
    Re: ginger
    I have been told in TCM its in the warming category.
    A natropath I know refers it as warming and stimulating. It Promotes grastric secretions and aids the absorption of food.I know it has an expectorant effect(oils,teas) on lungs,and causes eliminative sweating from my Aromatherapy stuff.I have read it has vit A, D and some amino acids
    Good for indigestion, flatulence, nausea(morning sickness) poor circulation
    Its the ****nizt
    That amount is simiular to what I use,but I do peel it.I know there are stonger amounts of the active oils in the skin.
    Hard on the intestinal system, though
    There is no chance that you will ever get constipation while doing this juice thang!
    I think it was probally the amount of fruit and veg you drank on top of the chicken giving your LI a lot to handle in a short period hence the cramps.
    Last edited by Ka; 11-11-2004 at 12:55 AM.
    A Problem is only a Problem if you think it is a Problem and every Problem has a solution

Don't worry about losing lass,I've been wrestling wolves since you were suckling on your mama's titt
    Groundskeeper Willy

Originally posted by Ka
    That amount is simiular to what I use,but I do peel it.I know there are stonger amounts of the active oils in the skin.
    I did the first time I used it. I've had it in about 4 drinks now. After the first time I got lazy . I just cut thin slices off the end of the root.
    Originally posted by Ka
    There is no chance that you will ever get constipation while doing this juice thang!
    No. I tend to agree .
    Originally posted by Ka
    I think it was probally the amount of fruit and veg you drank on top of the chicken giving your LI a lot to handle in a short period hence the cramps.
    That's what I thought - too much load, so to speak. 0.5kg of chicken, a bowl of shredded lettuce, a bowl of grated cheese, a few burrito tortillas plus the juice was a fair bit.

Tell me juice guy, how much "goodness" do you know (or estimate) you get from juice? E.g. this morning's juice - 3 carrots, 3 celery sticks, 2 slices watermelon, 1 apple, 1 pear, ginger. What am I getting from that? Besides the awesome taste, which makes it all worthwhile anyway.

Toby, have you learned nothing from my Gatorade story of just a few days ago?

Perhaps it's nothing and a stomach bug is circulating. I hear Ginger is excellent for settling an upset stomach, so maybe you just aren't using enough. Or not. What do I know?
    Bodhi Richards

^ Lol!

Serpie, while procrastinating I searched for my sauce. Here it is. Blair's Sudden Death sauce. Turns out the little skull that comes attached is a keepsake. Dunno where mine is. Looking at this site, the other one is a Whoopin' Ass sauce, so not as hot apparently. I couldn't say which flavour though.

Just as she finishes feeding one, I give 'er another .
    LOL. Good lad!

Serp, it's Whoopin' Ass Smokin' Mesquite. PM me your address if you want it and I'll see what I can do. No specific instructions about keeping it cool nor an expiry date.

Ginger is a hot food in TCM with all that entails. It is bloody brilliant stuff.