Thread: Training with weight a vest

Training with weight a vest

I was thinking to increase my core strength, leg strength and over all power generation that I would practice my forms while wearing a weight vest. Specifically an Xvest. Here's the LINK

Any thoughts on this? Anyone already doing this?
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Chief Fox:
    I use this exact vest to do the same thing. I love it. It is a well made vest. I use the twenty pound version and use it for all my kung fu forms, and techniques. For me, it has helped me develop stonger legs, be quicker, and develop my waist more. I also sprint with my vest on.

I love strap on weights of all types. Add the extra pounds and do all your normal excercises. Add more weight as you get used to it. It always felt great doing forms or sparring after taking all the weights off.

That XVest looks nice. The weightvest I was checking out recently is this one- V-Max

The X-Vest is the best weight vest I've tried. It still bounces a little, but not much compared to other vests, IMO. I have the 40 lbs version, but will ocassionally use it as a 20 lbs for wind sprints. I do the majority of my jogging, calesthenics, gymnast moves, and pull-ups with it one. It's great.

To those of you already using the Xvest:

I see in the pictures that the vest pretty much covers your whole torso. Does this get really hot? Or would you say that it's not a problem?

Oh, and thanks for the replys. I'm thinking about getting one of these for myself for Christmas.

It's made from a light weight breathable material, so it's not bad. You just have to easy into it. I got bad shin splints from trying to go too heavy too often too quickly when jogging with it.

Price: $366.90

Jeebus H Moneygrabber!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Originally posted by Serpent

Jeebus H Moneygrabber!
    Thats Sweet Jeebus H Moneygrabber to you... punk.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Originally posted by Ford Prefect
    It's made from a light weight breathable material, so it's not bad. You just have to easy into it. I got bad shin splints from trying to go too heavy too often too quickly when jogging with it.
    Sounds like something I would do. Thanks for the heads up!

I was thinking of getting one. Is the 84lb better one to buy so you don't have to buy a heavier one later? THanks. I am 155lb. If that matters.

Depends on what you are going to do with it.

Originally posted by GuSpeed
    I was thinking of getting one. Is the 84lb better one to buy so you don't have to buy a heavier one later? THanks. I am 155lb. If that matters.
    Sure, if you don't mind swapping weights in and out of the pockets each time you shift to a different excercise where you happen to be able to handle a different amount of addional weight with.

Example, you may be able to go 84lb doing squats, but how about pull ups?

Something I found REALLY tiresome with a weight vest of only 30lb was doing wall climbing, either on regular rocks or via an artificial rock wall (I really love those artificial rock wall treadmills - another thing I gotta save up for).

Also additional weight can be added for different excercises by using ankle and wrist weights.