Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 man drills and non-contact training

**Little*Dragon** Guest

2 man drills and non-contact training

Hi all

I am new to the CMA and to WC. In my school, they have a non-contact policy for training in two man drills. I can see this to a point...to avoid injured students,ect. But,I was drilling with one girl tonite and she kept making a point of saying "non-contact" even when I would touch her lightly with my strikes. :confused: Thankful most other students I drilled with weren't like this and some had a little "gusto" in their attacks. :D

I found this to be most distracting for trying to do the drills. When I would do the drills, I would have to concentrate so much on not touching her, that my techniques didnt even look like attacks. :(

I mean ...if you are going to take martial arts, isn't a LITTLE contact part of it? It seem as ridiculous as wanting to swim ...but not wanting to get your hair wet!

How are you supposed to learn good technique when every time you apply it, you pull your punches so much that they don't look like punches!

I suppose it was maybe a bad match of students...myself and this girl tonite. I just find myself wondering what someone like this is doing in a martial art class.

(rant off)
    :D

Little Dragon

Dragonhand Guest
    This is a dance stuido.If you want to be able to defend yourself,you must have contact.How are you going to know if your training works if you don't feel the pressure of a fight.If your Wing Chun school doesn't take you up thru the ranks.Take up boxing.There you will learn to defend yourself.IMHO

old jong Guest
    I know what you feel! I suggest you practice control and precision with that kind of students and get more intense with the more "open" ones!
    You can benefit with both kinds! ;)

You don't want to see my critial points!...

hunt1 Guest

non contact

Unfortunatly in todays world a non-contact policy may be necessary for someone to operate a school that earns a profit.
    For example a friend in Chicago has taught WC for many years.All students sign a waiver etc.After all this is a martial art and you should expect to get hit once in a while even in a controlled setting. Anyway a male student got knocked in the face during a drill.nothing major just a slight bump.Guess what.He sued.I never learned what happened with the suit but the fact is even with a waiver signed a lawyer was willing to take the case and sue.I agree 1000% if you dont want to get hit take ballet not WC but reality is that if someone gets hurt the school and teacher can get sued.
    Also some people want to learn to defend themselves but are so scared of getting hurt that they will not take a martial arts class unless they feel certain they wont get hurt.The problem is it is these people that need what we teach the most.

mun hung Guest

non-contact?

Wow! Non-contact? That sucks! How did she look? :D

**Little*Dragon** Guest

hunt1

**Unfortunatly in todays world a non-contact policy may be necessary for someone to operate a school that earns a profit.***

Yes, I understand that. I had to sign a waiver myself. I have no problem with that. I think back to my high school days when I was in shotokan karate and got a black eye from a newbie who wasn't paying attention to the sensei's instructions. I can understand limits on contact ...particulary for beginners ...who often lack control of their techniques.

***Also some people want to learn to defend themselves but are so scared of getting hurt that they will not take a martial arts class unless they feel certain they wont get hurt.The problem is it is these people that need what we teach the most. ****

Yes! I completely agree. I guess my problem is with this one students' attitude. I mean if you are that afraid of contact...you shouldn't be in a martial arts class. If all you ever do is learn to pull your punches...what kind of reaction will you have when you ever have to use your skills in defence?

Her problem, I guess. Thankfully, there are some good people there who like to train more realistically. I will just have to make sure that I don't partner up with her for sparring drills.

Little Dragon

azwingchun Guest

non-contact

I believe that you must adhere to the school rules.....though if the rules there make you unhappy then you must move on to another in order to get what you are looking for. I was always taught and trained to go forward w/the attack but you should use common sense. I teach my students that you "FIGHT THE WAY YOU TRAIN". If you practice pulling your punches then you will have a hard time not pulling them in a street fight. :D

Sharky Guest
    try and find some similarly minded guys at that school, and meet up with them afterwards. or leave man.

================================================== ==========================

"What you wan' cry fo? You know that my hammer is heavy and it got kick like tae kwon do, now you gwarn die slow... I'ma show you how to stretch a m0ther****er if you wanna watch tae bo"

whippinghand Guest
    She's got control issues.

Anarcho Guest
    Two man drills aren't sparring, though. Personally, I wouldn't like to get smacked in the face with bare knuckles when I'm trying out a technique for the first time. Light contact to the body's should be okay for anyone, I suppose, but in general I think it's a fair request to ask you to save the contact for sparring. Also, if you're doing technique drills she presumably knows what you're going to do, and can put her hand in front of her face, ribs, or whatever in order to protect herself and give you something to aim at.

**Little*Dragon** Guest

Anarcho

Oh I agree. I don't want to be clocked myself when trying out techniques. But she would complain when my kick lightly touched her leg...excuse me for trying for accuracy on my kick.

Little Dragon

chi-kwai Guest

W.H.

Pot calling the kettle black.

--
    chi kwai

Anarcho Guest
    I'd just try to avoid pairing up with her. She'll probably pack it in soon.

cobra Guest

Contact

It very well may be that she has a job where it is important that she not come in with a black eye. Depending on what field she is in, this could make a substantial, negative financial impact on her.

Just my 4 cents!!

whippinghand Guest

chi kwai

Are you blackanese?