Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I go to fight this Capoeira kid

So I go to fight this Capoeira kid

Because I posted once how, in my opinion, bong sau is a dangerous move ... because its defensive (requiring an additional move and putting oneself behind in the scheme of things) and structually weak and lacking leverage.

And this kid, who's studying Wing Chun at the time, says I'm wrong. I learned it wrong.

So I start thinking .... hhhmmmm: Well, my Wing Chun teacher trained with Robert Chu, and his brother, who also taught me, with Moy Yatt. And I have a friend who I still train with who trained with Moy Yatt up until his death. And my teacher now trained with Yip Man until he got kicked out. And ontop of all that I was fighting with guys from the Free Mason joint on Mott Street in CHinatown ... all Wing Chun and S MAntis guys.

And I have to say, I liked bong sau. Used it a lot. But when I started playing with better guys they started flipping it on me, could have torn my arm out of the socket.... they showed me how. I learned. Kids back at school got mad when I said the same to them. Then did it to them in chi sau .... they wouldn't free fight me. The teacher wasn't pleased. It was time to move on.

So anyway, I'm left scratching my noodle. And then this kid says he's leaving Wing Chun for something more real .... he wants to be a real wrecking ball it turns out. He's going to take up MMA!!!!! Watch Out! Some tough guys way out in the sticks by Canada's border .... here comes the posts .... anti-kung fu this, anti kung fu that.... What happened to the Wing Chun? Who is this guy?

A few weeks later, he's off the MMA .... after posting about the Canada border throw downs .... real killers .... now he's taking up cartwheels, hand stands.

Still has a lot to say though!!!!!! I had to go see. We make plans. I land. I pick up the phone.

"Sorry, I can't make it. I have to help my friend paint his fence."

I shake it off. Did I hear it right? Did he say he had to paint a fence? Who is this guy, Tom Sawyer? Or is it new training, "Paint the fence." Up and down. Up and down. Do a cartwheel and then up and down.... guess I'll never know.

{Editors note: Due to elapsed time, writer is unsure if the "paint the fence message" came via airport phone, or e-mail ... but otherwise it's a true story.}

Ban Red5Angel!! Not showing up to a challenge match is definitely a bannable offense.

That's a nice story and all E, but after hearing it about 20 times, it gets old.

Get over it Bro, it's just the internet.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

lol! Thought you were done with me there tough guy? Just can't stop those lips from flappin though can you?

he wants to be a real wrecking ball it turns out. He's going to take up MMA!!!!!
    Slightly ironic considering your own history there sister. I'd clean off your own porch before ou consider someone elses

I just don't get your obsession man. You get stood up once and it's all tears and beer. You gonna get over it or we gonna have to arrange for you to come back out just so you can move on? Is it gonna be hanging out this time or are you coming to shut me up? I keep forgetting you've made the jump to "real" fighting, not sure how I could forget since you can't stop jibber jabbering about it.

by the way, still doing the mma thing, just not competing, that is, if you can wrap your brain around the idea that Kali and submission grappling are MMA. I know, it's not muy thai and BJJ but still seems to be working for me.

Oh yeah and competing, you know that thing you put such a heavy emphasis on when you need to smack down some TMA guy who isn't doing it your way? I got news for you my small minded freind, competing goes beyond just the ring of a bell and a guy in front of you who doesn't go to your school.

Now why don't you go hit the mean streets of NYC and tell me all about what real fighting is and stop whining.

Ban Red5Angel!! Not showing up to a challenge match is definitely a bannable offense.

YEEEAAHHHHH!!! BAN RED5ANGEL!!!!! oh wait......

That's a nice story and all E, but after hearing it about 20 times, it gets old.
    I just wish he'd get his story straight, It went from sparring, to beers, to him flying all the way out just to kick my ass....wait a minute....is this EarthWorm?!

Lightbulb

I just farrted a few times...

Now I just shiot my pants, very dribble like.

Diarrhea makes your crack raw.

Daam, I faarted, again.

Tao

"As I wipe my arse and read this thread."

could you wipe your arse with this thread? It'd be better for it.

It's funny Red, that you keep saying the JUMP to "Real." Please find any of my posts, under EFist, or Bak Mei, where I haven't taken a real aproach.

San Da fighting is new to me, only a year, but I have been sparring full contact with gear -- and at times without -- my entire life.

I do agree with you that competitive fighting is not everything. In fact, I think in certain aspects its very different than fighting on the street. For example, if you're in the ring you need condition to last. Street fights tend to end after a single, prolonged, maddedned exchange where one guy gets a huge advantage and pushes it (I'm thinking grapping a T-shirt and punching and punching and punching until someone curls up .... and then kicking and kicking and kicking.)

Nonetheless, the ring teaches a lot and shows strengths and weaknesses and its my pet project right now.

For the record, I don't want to come off as a bully and think challenge matches in general are silly but every now and then they have a place .... like when one states very strongly and degradingly about another's art/way. Then I think it is acceptable for one to say, stop saying and show me.

Red, as your post history shows here, you have a lot to say. I simply called you on it. And I've sat on this knowledge for over a year. But lately you've been an a$$, calling someone a coward and provoking a fight between Mr. Ross and Earth Dragon, putting little digs in here and there and it reached its limit for me on that Hung Gar post.

You can talk all you want. You didn't show up after you said you would and you had plenty of notice. If it was somebody else, you'd be talking smack. Now I'm in a position to talk smack to you!

I was there and you gave me a lame excuse and now you ask me to come back? What's that saying about fool me once, etc.

If you ever come to NY give me some notice and I'll be sure not to be loaded down with chores. I'll fight you with 10 oz gloves, MMA gloves or now gloves .... up to you. All I've asked for is your name and eye color.

Ray Pina

PS
    Net or no net, no matter the forum I expect a man to choose his words carefully and stand by them. I expect more from a martial artists. And even more from a martial artist that talks as much smack as Red.
    Last edited by Ray Pina; 11-15-2004 at 12:45 PM.

I'm comming to that ghetto NYC you call home after the holidays and knocking you the fcuk out right in front of your students!!!!
    Last edited by red5angel; 11-15-2004 at 12:48 PM.

You're painting fences in mid-November in Minneapolis?!!?

The weather must be different from what I thought.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

I think "painting fences" was what he put in place of what I was actually doing. It was a while back and I can't quite remember what it was I had to do. however, to be technical, it's cold in November but we still have plenty of outdoor work to get done. Hell my neighbor has been putting in her fence for the last two weeks and it just started to get cold around here.

Of course maybe I was painting a fence, who knows. He seems to have taken it to heart more then I did.

haha...paint a fence..

dude! come ooon....

you do realize now that its ur business whether you want to fight or not.... no one can call you a coward for it.

lol but still... painting my fence? that was pretty lame....

It wasn't Nov., it was mid to late summer .... AND IT WAS painting a fence.

don't buy into the propaganda

lol but still... painting my fence? that was pretty lame....
    like I said, I don't think I was painting a fence, I just think that's what hit Efists dinobrain in a fit of jealous rage. Something came up, it happens. I never cried over it, I do't think he should either.