Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxers are petty internal fighters

Boxers are petty internal fighters

I think that alot of boxers that are relaxed are more internal then most martial artist when it comes to fighting what do u guys think?

FT

Question is how do you define "internal fighting" ?

I study internal arts and...
    I think your dead right, its something i also seem to tell people quite frequently.

Good western boxers are often very relaxed, have excerlent power and are very addaptable fighters.

Prince Nazeem would be a boxer who even my instructor points out as using a very internal method of fighting and generating power.

Some of the MMA fighters also use a type of power which has a lot in commen with the internals. Guys like Sefo, Crocrop and Fedor are all using much more than just there limbs when they hit are are using there full bodys to generate power. You also have lightweights like Pulver and Sudo who use very relaxed and subtle mechanics.

BJJ seems to use the a similar methodology on the floor as Taiji uses standing, basicaly stay relaxed, go with flow and always try to keep superior postion.

Seems to me though that a lot of people dance around a very basic fact of internal training. If you hope to stay relaxed under stress then you had better factor that into your training.

All the relaxed push hands and flower power mentalitys will likely not help you relax when someone is intent of doing you serious physical injury. You will also not be relaxed if you are thrown strait into sparring ( i know this first hand becouse many of my students who started sparring early are still tense under duress) without proper physical preperation and mental conditioning.

Staying relaxed in fighting is I feel much harder than most people like to pretend. It takes a lot to be able to shut off your ego and simply focuss on the task at hand, its something you always try and strive to improve at. I dont think this is something anyone just has or gets i think its something you constantly build upon.
    Last edited by jon; 11-15-2004 at 03:35 AM.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

No. Totally disagree.

ALI

watch how muhammed ali is rooted when he throws a lot of his punches. my gongfu brother pointed out that one.

Totally agree with you mate

OFZ
    It's evident, my potential be infinite- The RZA

Originally posted by Tigrentera
    No. Totally disagree.
    because.....?

considering we were just talking about this on the other forum, I'd really like to hear your opinion.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I'm still not sure what the difference between internal and external fighting is - nearly 30 years on now....

Relaxed? Partially, I think there's more to it than that though.

Rooted? Using the full body? Again, I think that's not the whole story, but a pre requisite...

Focus and precision? Deliberate executions, ability to read and feel an opponents intention? Partially?

How about, NOT surviving on pure agression, or striking with arm and fist only. We can all probably agree that NOT internal....

So, sure, some boxers, could be more internal, watching Ali v Bonoveno (sp?) or Liston you could easily see that's true. Probably any good fighter, regardless of style, exhibits some of these so called "internal" characteristics...

But, from what I've gathered from a number of the more well trained kickboxers and tournement guys, there's one thing missing...

Where do the fireballs of Chi come into it? After all, how can a boxer be internal without fireballs of Chi? I lit a f@rt once, do you think it might be something like that? Its source was certainly internal....

FT

You working at Centennial Park these days?

On the flip side of this question,

Is there anything that is unquestionably NOT internal?

Originally posted by Yum Cha
    On the flip side of this question,

Is there anything that is unquestionably NOT internal?
    Yum Cha, you brought up an interesting point...what really is the difference between internal and external fighting? Well done internal fighting and external fighting both use whole body movement. Both use positioning and attack structure. Both (amazingly) utilize bascially the same techniques...I think the destinction between the two is way overblown and used primarily by those who really don't understand either IMO.

no-one seems to be bothered to answer your quest,yum,so i will."not internal".wu shu,chti sao(wc)boxing,wrestling,karate,teakwondo,sparring etc.are NOT internal fighting.

now that you've answered, explain it. Why is boxing not internal? why is karate not internal? what about grappling/wrestling? what is it about them IYO that makes them not internal?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

and if i don't,are you going to ban me? also its not internal fighting,must have right concept first(master-----ater).
    its obviouse that you are a low level practitioner,that you demand i explain.
    the explanation is quite simple to who it is so rude to demand at this early time.

Sui
    you are the low leveled know nothing practitioner who hides behind vague David Carradine-esque garbled statements, you never answer anyone directly on any topic.

Now, how did what I typed make you feel? you wanna respond and tell me off now I assume. I also assume that's how Sevenstar felt on your comment to him. Think about it.

By the way, I retract my above statements about you (sui). It was only used as an excercise (sp?) to illustrate your condescending tone.

well yes i can empathize,but how i feel is that no matter what anyones says i know what of my center and experience in learning to feel confident to admit from time to time that i'm wrong or what ever.
    i believe in the upmost critisism,that of my teachers,and the people a have contact with.so on that note if thats what you see that i am low level then thats how you see it.(if 7star can't take the heat then i'm sure he does not look towards others to rebalcence his mistakes.there is only the learning,not the undestanding).David carradine is not a failure its just that many people are discusted with the association he has with the K.F realm,as you do too.
    excersised well but it leaves me wanting more,your emotions to define whats right and wrong leaves you off balance B9.

Originally posted by Sui
    well yes i can empathize,but how i feel is that no matter what anyones says i know what of my center and experience in learning to feel confident to admit from time to time that i'm wrong or what ever.
    i believe in the upmost critisism,that of my teachers,and the people a have contact with.so on that note if thats what you see that i am low level then thats how you see it.(if 7star can't take the heat then i'm sure he does not look towards others to rebalcence his mistakes.there is only the learning,not the undestanding).David carradine is not a failure its just that many people are discusted with the association he has with the K.F realm,as you do too.
    excersised well but it leaves me wanting more,your emotions to define whats right and wrong leaves you off balance B9.
    what you said doesn't bother me at all. heatis something I have no problem with. Now... why do you think a boxer can't be internal - that is, if you can answer it.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter