Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No chin up bar?

What about other excersises with it other than squats? It's looking like I'll just set it up enough to do pullups and dips with it then.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Originally posted by Ford Prefect
    NP,

It can cause MAJOR damage to your knees. This is cut&pasted from another one of my posts because I'm lazy:

"See, if you lean against something while squatting, you're hamstrings are all but removed from the movement. At and past parallel, in order you keep your back against whatever you're leaning on, your femur must be pushed directly back. Good ol' Newton's Laws of Motion dictate that the femur will push right back... on your knee. Since your hamstring is not contracting, the knee is not held as tightly as it's supposed to be (the hamstring would pull back on your lower leg and tighten the joint) and it shears at the knee. Significant knee damage can result with prolonged use.

This is the same thing that gives Smith Machine's a bad name and why most people call them "knee shredders"."

Yes.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

NP,

It's mostly the squats. For anything else you need to be careful of any machine that jams you into one range of motion. For some, it might be a 100% natural ROM, but for others it could cause joint damage. If the ROM feels "forced" at all while you are trying the exercise, I'd recommend not doing it.

Originally posted by Ford Prefect
    NP,

It can cause MAJOR damage to your knees. This is cut&pasted from another one of my posts because I'm lazy:

"See, if you lean against something while squatting, you're hamstrings are all but removed from the movement. At and past parallel, in order you keep your back against whatever you're leaning on, your femur must be pushed directly back. Good ol' Newton's Laws of Motion dictate that the femur will push right back... on your knee. Since your hamstring is not contracting, the knee is not held as tightly as it's supposed to be (the hamstring would pull back on your lower leg and tighten the joint) and it shears at the knee. Significant knee damage can result with prolonged use.

This is the same thing that gives Smith Machine's a bad name and why most people call them "knee shredders"."

Good stuff! Thanks Ford.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Originally posted by Serpent
    [every time I enter and leave the room, I bust out a few pullups or chinups.
    I always thought they were the same thing. What's the difference?

One has your palms facing you, the other has your palms facing out.

Yep. Pullups is wide pronated grip (palms face away from you). Chinups is a narrow supinated grip (palms towards you).

Then, of course, there are numerous variations of those, plus side to sides with a neutral grip, rope/towel overwrap pullups, etc., etc.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

Originally posted by Oso
    couldn't find a good link to pics of Jandas at google...some sort of ab exercise...can anyone point me to some?
    Serp's link is a good'un. But you don't need an Ab Pavelizer (TM) to do them. Those cost a fortune. I made one up out of some scrap pine, dowel and 3/8" bolts. I find a training partner "easiest" to do the action right, but I like the machine too and that's what I use most of the time.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Yeah, I should have mentioned that. I had no intention of giving Pavel a free plug. You can often find stuff around the home and garden to use anyway and still do decent Jandas.

Thanks for all the replies guys..

I am going to put it together next weekend or so when I have some time. I might just leave the smith machine off and figure out how to do so I just have the pullup and dip bars.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread