Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do sport fighters utilize short power?

Do sport fighters utilize short power?

Discuss.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Short power = striking ability in exceptionally close quarters, aka "one inch punch?"

If so, I'd say so. Of course, I'm not internal, so I don't know 'bout tha rizzle shizzle.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

No. Only chi masters use short power. Short power is illegal in UFC and that's why TMA guys lose. Also cuz you can't strike the eyes. Also cuz no chi blasts.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Smile

For sure,

Chucky is a prime example. When he is clinched he does an excellent job of softening up his opponents until they drop their hands somewhat, then he goes for the big strikes. Plus his anti-grapple game is excellent to boot.

I think that the major problem some people make when utilizing short power is that once they have the opponent softened up, they start to swing big punches instead of keeping them short while charging.

We used to do this drill in class from the clinch. The idea was, once you got the other person softened up, opened up, or back-pedalling whatsoever, you lower your position and go relentless and charge with short power shots to the neck and head area. It was definetely a waiting game sometimes, and it really hurt.

Here is even a "short power" history tale. Joe Lewis had some freaky short power. He practiced his jabs from a short distance on hanging square bails of hay. Watch his lead left sometime.

Cool topic by the way Seven.

Tao

This is a good topic.

1) Not only a punch.

There can be push and pull.

2) Usually it is a sudden force and requires the whole body movement to generate power.

For internalist, it will be Nei Gong or Nei Li and also Qi mobilization.

3) The use of Kua (hip) and shoulder or chest to push (Kao) may also be considered as short power.

4) In Tai Ji, you use the sudden jerking whole body force (Tan Do Jin) to generate the Jin. It works the best with little or no distance. Which means you may contact first and then generate Tan Do Jin.

Usually, these are very destructive to the opponent internally.

May not be good for ring events.

In the ring, you want technical points, throw or some kind of submission to end the fight or get more points to win.

To produce internal injury may not be the goals or necessary in sports.

You want to win on merits and techniques and not injure your opponent.

My teacher was a sport fighter and he has short power.

strike!

Most sport fighters are probably more limited in the long arm understanding then they are in short arm understanding.

Id think.

strike!

The only thing I can think of that might prevent sport guys from using short power is since it's tougher to see, it could be tougher for judges to score a hit. But, since most guys would rather KO than win on points, I think that would be a pretty minor consideration.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Boxing.

Sure the body connections are different to TMA but are they so much so? When I jab I sink, I relax, I try to optimize my body position and the relaxation of my muscles to connect from the foot up through the knees, the crease of the thigh (kwa/qua), the hips, the abdomen, the shoulders, the arm, the hand, the opponent.

In wing chun the only difference in the way I describe that connection sequence is maybe I say that it goes through the elbow, rather than the whole arm, but as essentially this means the muscles of the arm anyway, it's similar. Other chunners would say that there is no crease of the thigh effect in WC as the punch is generated by a pelvic thrust, but I've never learnt in the Elvis Schoold of Wing Chun!

Of course wing chun is maybe not the best example of short power work, so maybe my POV is pretty redundant compared to many of you internalists out there... my internals are not so hot...!

Buuuut, one thing from my internals class we work on a lot is using short range peng and jing to try and hit directly into the opponent's centre, and more importantly as a release from a grab...

As SPJ said there is more than one to use short power, not necessarily punching... and this is very similar to the quick slipping movement my shooto teacher uses when he goes for the shoot esp from the clinch. He just calls it the slip tho, no fancy expressions. The purpose of it is to start you going off balance, and kind of lead your intent over his body, as he goes in deep to your legs.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

I use short power (SPM) in the clinch.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Working on it.

I don't see why not. Whether they are conciously training for it or not I imagine anyone training to fight in the ring trains some sort of short power in the clinch and other close quarters scenarios.

Short power is essential for sports fighters, since this is a kungfu forum, I will elaborate more in chinese. I am sure most of the oldtimers here know of fajing, "explosive power". There is also chunjing,"close power". It is the same as fajing, but it has emphasis in tightening your arm or leg at the very last point from a very short distance.

Most TMA schools teach their students to work on their fajing by hitting the free suspended piece of paper with their fingers till the paper breaks, this is also done with the kicks.

Chunjing is a more advanced step after that, which is to shorten the distance of tighening up the limb before the strike. This is make the person more nimble and responsive to the change of events in a fight.

This is much like how Bruce lee said that kungfu is like a metal ball on a rope, while karate is like a sledgehammer. Both have their strength and weakness.

Originally posted by jungle-mania
    This is much like how Bruce lee said that karate is like a sledgehammer.
    Well, we can't say Lee was always right about things.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Vash is right, back when Bruce was laive he had limited exposure compared to what we have today.

The term Karate is generic like the term Kung Fu.

Any one can say that based on what Jackie Chan does, Kung Fu has nothing like Kick Boxing or Grappling.

I was watching an old Karate movie from the 70's, I forgot the name, the actors did Shotakan. They had limited experience in it and looked terrible. But back then it was never seen before and these guys looked like death on two legs.

As far as sport useing power at different ranges, what type of sport?
    point sparring?
    MMA?
    Kick Boxing?

In full contact sports you dont always worry about getting a point, In MMA you are looking for a KO or submission, so they will be concerned with it.