Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do sport fighters utilize short power?

For a good example of short power, there is a high-light clip floating around the internet of Buakaw Por Pramuk, the Thai who recently won the K-1 Max event in Japan, defeating John Wayne Parr and Masato along the way.

The clip shows highlights of his K1 Max fight, his training, and of a fight in a "Koma" event (which I know next to nothing about).

He is clinched with his opponent. He has his right hand around the back of his opponents head, and his left glove is clearly resting on his opponents right shoulder. He turns his opponent by pulling with his right hand, and without ****ing his fist in the slightest, throws the left hook directly from his opponents shoulder, KO'ing him.

That may not be *exactly* what you guys have in mind, but that is an impressive display of short power in a sporting environment with gloves on.....

Originally posted by Khun Kao Charuad
    and without ****ing his fist in the slightest
    cocking?

Pretty impressive. I'd like to see that clip.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

WD

Originally posted by Water Dragon
    Short Power doesn't have to be striking. I don't use short power for striking at all. I get much better results from Boxing technique for my strikes.

The "Short Power" that I'm using I picked up from SPM's Tan Ging Hey (sp?) exercises. I just use that drop to knock the other guy around a bit. It's not painful in the way that a punch or knee is painful, but it does a good job of taking their root away for a second.

Tan as in springy or t/dan as in single?

Also, you say drop....Do you mean you sink/chum your body? And when using this method, do you use SPM posture? Ha Hum?

Thanks in advance,
    Buby

KKC

Yes! I would consider that short power. Especially, if he was able to land more than one blow without c0cking his arm back. I didn't see the fight you're talking about, but going by what you said, I would say that the fighter had some type of or atleast some understanding of short power.

Take care,
    Buby

Re: WD

I don't know. I don't speak any Chinese. The exercises were called the Tan Ging Hay. You basically tensed your entire body while coiling and then released everything with a drop and a stretch. There were 3 exercises. the first was up todown, the second was in to out, the third was down to up.

Also, you say drop....Do you mean you sink/chum your body? And when using this method, do you use SPM posture? Ha Hum?

Sorry Bro, I don't know the terminology. What I mean by drop is to drop into my heel and kua at the same time. I just simply let my weight 'drop'. I don't know how to describe it any better.

-edit-

The posture I use is somewhat similar to the SPM stance except the toes are not turned in as much. SPM and Muay Thai have similar fighting stances so it works for me
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Serpent...

Yeah, that word. LOL. He was literally holding the guys shoulder as he spun him around, then dropped in a wicked left hook to the guys jaw. He followed completely through the blow like he was punching down towards the floor....

...which is where his opponent ended up. LOL

Unfortunately, the video clip does not include the name of his opponent. Again, all I've been able to discern is that the fight event was "KOMA". Anyone heard of that event before?

I have a link to the same highlight clip. You have to click on the VIDEOS link, then scroll through a few pages to find it. Its currently on page 5 and its labeled "Muay Thai Kickboxing"

http://www.compfused.com/

The KO happens right at about 2:30 - 2:34 into the film clip.
    Last edited by Khun Kao Charuad; 11-18-2004 at 09:13 AM.

Re: Re: WD

Originally posted by Water Dragon
    I don't know. I don't speak any Chinese. The exercises were called the Tan Ging Hay. You basically tensed your entire body while coiling and then released everything with a drop and a stretch. There were 3 exercises. the first was up todown, the second was in to out, the third was down to up.

Sorry Bro, I don't know the terminology. What I mean by drop is to drop into my heel and kua at the same time. I just simply let my weight 'drop'. I don't know how to describe it any better.

-edit-

The posture I use is somewhat similar to the SPM stance except the toes are not turned in as much. SPM and Muay Thai have similar fighting stances so it works for me
    OH... the ones we did last time I went to chi?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Yeah, the coiling exercises from that pigeon toed stance.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Originally posted by Khun Kao Charuad
    I have a link to the same highlight clip. You have to click on the VIDEOS link, then scroll through a few pages to find it. Its currently on page 5 and its labeled "Muay Thai Kickboxing"

http://www.compfused.com/

The KO happens right at about 2:30 - 2:34 into the film clip.
    Looks like his arm was already ****ed for that punch.

short power

Last time I was hit with short power the dude had his arm almost fully extended. He placed his palm on my shoulder and twitched, it felt as if I got hit in 3D. Never felt anything like that! It felt as if my shoulder collapsed into my other shoulder. His hand didn't follow through, it made contact and stopped there. There was no pushing or follow through whatsoever, just shock.

Take care,
    Buby