Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I might do some cardio

Talking I might do some cardio

I was thinking about ordering myself a 16kg kettlebell for Christmas. I changed gyms (my new one is $30 less per month) and my new one doesn't have any KBs. I figure the money I save by being at this new one would pay for a KB.

Don't worry, rtb, I'm not gonna start running or anything

Well maybe some sprints, tho.

The only thing with KBs is since my freak shoulders grow from just looking at weights, the only exercise I'd do with them would be snatches. I have no need to do any of the pressing exercises. In fact, my shoulders just about ripped through my shirt right now just thinking about doing an overhead pressing movement. US$115 (146 AUD for Toby) or whatever seems like kind of a lot to spend to be able to do one exercise, yeah? But then again, it is a good exercise that would help my stamina and strength for training, yeah?

Blah I dunno.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I'd get at least a 24kg one. You'll outgrow that 16kg in no time. Great exercise for the lower back.

honestly....... i haven't "grown" out og my 16kg'er yet...... i don't use it as much as i did when i first bought the thing.... but when i do... it's still a challenge......
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Really? Even just for snatches? I'm definately no strongman, but the 16kg KB is really light for me where snatches are concerned.

Originally posted by Ford Prefect
    Really? Even just for snatches? I'm definately no strongman, but the 16kg KB is really light for me where snatches are concerned.

Thats just 'cause you're a genetic freak...

(OK, I don't even know you, but I figured that I would try to be funny)...

OK, I know what a snatch is, but is there a name for doing an upright row and passing a dumbbell from hand to hand? IE One would be with the left hand, then you let go and catch it and pull up again with the right?
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Originally posted by Ford Prefect
    i really don't do snatches much..... mostly c&j's and swings..... i'll flip it around every now and then.... and presses..... if he is ONLY going to do snatches.... why not get a few heavy DBs for that kinda money?........
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Yeah I could do two sets of 10 snatches with the 16kg one my first try. Well, once I learned how to do snatches, that is.

But it was with a heavier one (1.5 pood, I think) that I hurt my back, so I'm hesistant to get one of those. And that was with swings, which is like the ultimate beginner KB exercise.
    Last edited by IronFist; 11-17-2004 at 01:02 PM.

Why don't you do cardio?

Originally posted by mortal
    Why don't you do cardio?
    Because I'm an ectomorph and I have a hard enough time maintaining my weight by eating a lot and never doing cardio. If I did cardio I would burn even more calories and I would lose weight so quickly that I would blow away with the wind like Kate Moss on that one episode of Family Guy.

Originally posted by IronFist
    Because I'm an ectomorph and I have a hard enough time maintaining my weight by eating a lot and never doing cardio. If I did cardio I would burn even more calories and I would lose weight so quickly that I would blow away with the wind like Kate Moss on that one episode of Family Guy.
    I know a guy like you. If he goes running he just gets sickly skinny. So do you get winded while sparring? I noticed that after running for a few months my endurance while sparring went way up.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Yeah I get winded while sparring. Distance running isn't really good training for sparring though because it's pretty different. I mean, you can run for 20 or 30 minutes (I can't), but do you spar at light intensity for 20 or 30 minutes? No. I think high intensity, short "cardio" sessions that more closely mimick sparring are better training for fighting, which is why I'm considering getting a KB.

On the other hand, I could have a lot better cardio but I'd be 10 or 20lbs lighter and have very little strength. I chose to have size and strength at the expense of cardio.

Yeah I get winded while sparring. Distance running isn't really good training for sparring though because it's pretty different. I mean, you can run for 20 or 30 minutes (I can't), but do you spar at light intensity for 20 or 30 minutes? No. I think high intensity, short "cardio" sessions that more closely mimick sparring are better training for fighting, which is why I'm considering getting a KB.

On the other hand, I could have a lot better cardio but I'd be 10 or 20lbs lighter and have very little strength. I chose to have size and strength at the expense of cardio.
    Ahhhh, I get it. weight resistance with short bouts of cardio. Makes sense. Have you tried CROSSFIT? at http://www.crossfit.com. It's a similar concept.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Wow. That's strange. I figured you'd have a stronger lower back than that. You can DL a good amount, right? Anyway, if that's the case than a 16kg should do you well. Even if you start to outgrow it, mixing burpee sprints and kb sprints with light rope skipping in between is a sure way to tax even the hardiest of men.

Well, it taxes me anyway, so I'm talking myself up a little.

My lower back is strong. That's why I was like "wtf?" when I hurt it doing SWINGS.

Wait, let me make sure I know what a snatch is (the exercise). You start with the KB between your legs and then jerk it up and end with your arm straight above your head in one clean motion, right?

Strange how I used the words "clean" and "jerk" to describe the "snatch."

Re: I might do some cardio

Your idea of cardio isn't most people's. Buy a KB and do some sets? Most people here would think of HIIT or endurance work .

Anyway, I'd like some KBs. Maybe one day I'll get some to mix it up a bit with the PTP. Let us know what you reckon if you do get one Iron.

US$115 (146 AUD for Toby)
    *Sniff* I'm honoured.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo