Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why not many people use what they have learnt in a fight or in tournments

Why not many people use what they have learnt in a fight or in tournments

Dear all,
    Is it possible for any one to tell me why there are so many martial artists out there, who cannot use what they have learnt in a fight or in tournments?
    I am referring to them applying their techniques in a fight and not about whether they can or cannot win a fight. When I went to visit other martial arts schools or in tournments, all I can see were students and instructors sparring with each other like human punching bags or kick boxers. They could not apply what they have learnt for the past several years.
    However, they could perform their techniques perfectly in a co-operative situations. Why is this?

1. No one expect tennis players or coaches to enter themselves in tournments, if they cannot hit a ball.
    No tennis players will enter themselves into an ice hockey match wearing tennis outfit OR cannot play ice hockey. They do not want to make fools of themselves by not being able to play the game. They learnt how to play the game very well first, before entering themselves into tournments.
    However, this is exact what had happened to many of the tournments I have seen.

2. No traditional teachers in the past would let his/her students open their own schools, if they cannot use what they have learnt to defence themselves. They did not want to disgrace themselves and their own schools. However, today many teachers (including experience fighters) do not seem to care about their own and their ancestors' reputations.

3. The quality of the teacher is judged by the qualities of his/her students. If the students cannot applied what they have learnt in a fight, then the teacher is bad. It does not matter if he/ her is the current undefeated world champion. This is because he/she cannot pass on the skill to the students. It is the teaching methods being taught that I am questioning and not whether both the teacher or student can fight.

I am very sad and disappointed to said that all I can only see performers, human punching bags and kick boxers competitors in tournments, but not martial artists who can use their skills (except judo players, wrestler, boxers, kick boxers , Thai boxers, etc). If this trend is allow to continue, then no wonder people will look down at martial artists and thinking it is a waste of time.

Thank you
    Hitman

Well, because most teachers show you a long form and then say "Now use it sparring" without showing you how. Heck, a lot of teachers don't even teach the form applications. They expect the student to just figure it out on their own. To use the techniques, you have to extract them from the forms, drill them live or on pads/bags, and then use them in a free sparring format. You can't go directly from memorizing a form to using the technqiues effectivley. It doesn't work that way. There are steps in between that a lot of teachers neglect.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

MK has commited the correct to memory, broken it down to its essential principles, drilled it against a resisting opponent, and applied it on the street.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

that is why he is the masterkiller.

also this day of age. people want to learn to be bad ass right away. you dont do that by learning "silly" techniques from "silly" forms. i see tournaments and its just brawls its so disapointing.
    but master killer hit it on the dot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Learn Wing Chun

So many people say this...

And so many people never fight in tournaments. Or anywhere, for that matter. Once you get in some real fights, you realize how hard it is to apply some of the techniques based on reaction skills. Now this doesn't mean that those moves are unapplicable, it just means that you might not be able to apply them at the right moment. You have to seize that moment. But will you see it? It's a perceptual thing and your perceptions altar dramatically when in the "war' zone.

While tournaments are a far cry from real fights, it's about as close as you can get safely. For everyone, there is a first time. Would you prefer that first time be on the street or at a tournament where all you have to lose is ego? Anyone who steps in the ring is exhibiting a speck of bravery - I know many practitioners who have never done that then comment on 'how bad' everyone looks. Get out there and show us. Show us those traditional moves in the ring. You see them occasionally in good fights, so it can be done. And we love those fighters who show us some technique; they are always favored by the crowd.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Could it possibly be that many martial arts do not deal with discussing/teaching strategies for bridging the gaps correctly as to be able to make the techniques work? What angles work best when. What approaches to using techniques to either close or maintain space between you and the opponent?
    Stephen Rudnicki

"These things we know, but not those that he felt when he descended into the last shade of all."

--JLB

Originally posted by ninja
    Learn Wing Chun
    because...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

three words -

improper training.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

SevenStar,

That's Two Words you wrote there.
    Stephen Rudnicki

"These things we know, but not those that he felt when he descended into the last shade of all."

--JLB

Grados Street Combat

Watch his hands fly!

Originally posted by Da_Moose
    Could it possibly be that many martial arts do not deal with discussing/teaching strategies for bridging the gaps correctly as to be able to make the techniques work? What angles work best when. What approaches to using techniques to either close or maintain space between you and the opponent?
    They are addressed in MA.

The student is only as good as the teacher. We learn all that in my school. The curriculum is complete, I think. SiGung works hard and it is amazing all the stuff he knows. He makes sure that we know what we are doing and do it correctly. It is a martial art, not a dance. I do not want to be Lord of the Dance, I want to be Lord of not getting beaten to a Bloody Pulp. Also the health benefits are nice

Also, some people are just good natural fighters, in my opinion. Just like anything, some people can apply what they learn better than others and more quickly.

But I believe that it all comes down to the teacher.
    My school: http://pailumwarrior.com/

for the general image of martial arts and martial artists receiving respect... one of the worst things to happen is the year black belts (where people can get a black belt/sash/whatever in a year), and think they learned everything.

I remember in high school that I saw a karate black belt get his butt kicked so fast it wasn't even funny.

If only all schools stuck to being true to their arts, and not making it all about the money and insulting the arts, I think the general American public, at least, would have a better outlook on martial arts.

Last I checked, there was not a 'Curl up into the fetal position and blink a 1000 times' or 'Freeze up like a big Oak Tree' move in any martial art. In a fight, even if you never have taken a ma class ever, you know you should just react.

Many people think, that if a punch comes and are not skilled fighters something like 'oh, i will just do <insert fancy move>... no problem'. There is a difference between knowing what to do, and actually doing it and not thinking like a maniac and responding like a 3rd grader being drug to detention with arms flying around like you are trying to take off (last I checked it was a warm up exercise, not an ancient Chinese secret).
    My school: http://pailumwarrior.com/

Originally posted by unixfudotnet

If only all schools stuck to being true to their arts, and not making it all about the money and insulting the arts, I think the general American public, at least, would have a better outlook on martial arts.

I don't think it's as cut and dry as that. Today, you still have traditional systems that are quite "true to their arts", yet they don't spar. you have systems that are "true to their arts", yet most of their time is spent training forms. lack of fighting ability in schools in not only due to the greed of some teachers.

Last I checked, there was not a 'Curl up into the fetal position and blink a 1000 times' or 'Freeze up like a big Oak Tree' move in any martial art. In a fight, even if you never have taken a ma class ever, you know you should just react.

here's where the difference between theory and reality come in. In theory, yeah, it seems common sense to react. In reality, when adrenaline rushes, you resort to two options - fight or flight. when you aren't conditioned to fight, yet you have chosen fight mode, you will freeze. once the body's heartbeat raises above a certain rate and adrenaline is rushing, you tend to forget everything you've learned, unless it's firmly ingrained. Some people have a "killer instinct" and automatically respond in fight mode. Not everybody does.

In addition, MA training is generally counterproductive to that response. you are taught to only use your skills for self defense, you are taught to always be kind, respectful and humble. you are taught not to fight unless you absolutely have to. That peaceful frame of mind sticks with you. Who has the advantage in a fight - the street fighter with no remorse at all for his opponent, or the peaceful, trained MA who doesn't want to fight anyway?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

i tend to think traditional martial arts along the same lines of traditional boxing. it seems people fought a little different then. i always see articles on abreknuckle boxing and they are standing straight up hands out, good posture, different from todays boxing. think same could be said for martial arts. different style?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.