Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nei Jia Quan book is complete

Nei Jia Quan book is complete

Hi, I spent the last couple of years putting together a book of interviews about Chinese martial arts, mostly focused on internal styles. Now it's finally been published! It's called "Nei Jia Quan: Internal Martial Arts" by Jess O'Brien. It was pretty fun to put together, there are some pretty good teachers in it. I hope you all like it, it was created for the real kung fu fanatic in all of us.

Here is a link: http://www.northatlanticbooks.com/pr...556435061.html

Let me know what you think.

Sincerely,

Jess O

Cool. How many interviews are there?

Lights-

There are a total of 12 interviews. Plus one article about history. They are primarily focused on Ba Gua and Xing Yi. Some Tai Ji, Yi Quan and Liu He Ba Fa come up. I got pictures of everybody and threw in a bunch of historical ones from old books. If you read it lemme know what you think.

-Jess O

Thanks. I just got on Amazon and the reviews are all good, so I think I'm going to ask for it for Christmas. If I get it, I'll post a review.

I ordered this last week - still waiting for it to arrive, shall let you know what I think
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

A training brother brought a copy to class on Fri. I briefly read through the beginning section with Mr. Cartmell (SP). I've heard of him, but didn't know he was so young (how old?) and that he was a fighter.

I'll pick up a copy myself before the holidays. Looks good. Good job.

njq

lightsout and Kaitan- Hope you guys like it, please review here when you are done and lemme know what you think.

Evo- Yeah, Tim Cartmell is a very interesting guy and has some well thought out opinions on many aspects of the IMA. He's really put in the work to get the results. Based on your posts I think you would really like his interview. There's some other ones in there that you would dig too. NOt every one in the book agrees, actually none of them agree on everything, but that's what makes CMA so interesting. Hope you get a chance to read it.

-JEss O

I'll probbaly go out and buy it on Wed. Thanks for putting something like this together.

I look forward to reading the section on Mr. Frantzis as well. I've heard a lot about him, and he's one of the few that my master talks positively about.

On another note: how did you get this published? Did you pitch it first, or did you go out and create it, do all the interviews, and then look for a publisher/agent?

I'm a writer who just finished a non-fiction piece (along the lines of Miller, Camus, Bukowski, Celine) trying to get into the game.

books

Err, yeah that was a bit of a help, but it was strictly judged on content really!

No, actually, the only reason my book got published is because my boss said I could publish anything I wanted. So one day I said, I'm gonna write a book. But since I couldn't think of anything to say myself I asked people who knew a hell of a lot more than me. I don't think my boss even looked at the manuscript for more than 30 seconds. Note: lots of publishers don't read the books they publish.

EvoFist-
    Now you know the secret of publishing! But really, my belief is that you write the book because you love it and then the publisher will eventually appear. Just keep trying. Authors sometimes forget that publishers NEED new material on a daily basis, they are a conveyer belt that is always needing to be fed fresh meat to turn into the next book. Then once that's done, dump it on the market and start work on the next. It's a never ending cycle. LOTs of books get published everyday, but not lots of them make money for their authors.

The type of thing you are doing may or may not need an agent. I haven't worked with agents in the areas I work in, like health, alternative med., martial arts, etc. But for literary stuff and fiction and such, an agent might be a good idea. That world is a big gamble where you can hit big and sell lots and lots of books, or you can go down the drain with 99% of the others. Having a pro on your side can be a big help.

My main thought is to just keep cranking them out. If you don't get the sales or royalties you want on book #1 keep going on book #2. Quantity is the key. Lots of small stuff adds up to be big. Don't get discouraged and just keep at it. As long as you have a day job the publishers need you more than you need them and keep that in mind.

Done rambling,
    Jess O

Thanks. And that's the first postive thing I've ever heard from an "insider."

I know the odds are long and all that, but something inside of me tells me it can and will be done. And I can't help but write them anyway.

I'm picking your book up at lunch. Been looking forward to it all week. I'm just finishing up Stranger by Camus and need a refill.

Best of luck. I've already heard about your book before your post so word seems to be traveling fast.

I just read the first two chapters .... I already see big differences in opinion, especially concerning chi.

I have to ask, when you held Mr. Garbriel ?????'s hand, did you feel something?

congrats! it is hard to get a book ready for the publisher to be happy with it, sure it was a long long frustrating journey

will be sure to check it out!
    My school: http://pailumwarrior.com/

Evolution-

I most surely felt something. What it was, I'm not sure. I will take Mr. Chin's word for it... All I can say is that there sure is some interesting stuff going on in these Chinese martial arts! Sometimes strange but always fun..

Glad you are reading it, I figured it would be right up your alley.

Maybe you will do an interview with your teacher, Mr. Chan, and publish it? I'll be KungFu Mag or JAMA would be interested...

Thanks,

Jess O

{PS Unixfu- thanks man, hope you like it.

I'm about halfway through with the book now. I have to say, it's very good. It's nice to hear it straight from the teacher's mouth.

I was pleasantly surprised by Mr. Gale's section. I never heard of him before but his aproach and focus on mechanics is exactly what IMA means to me.

My master always says he doesn't want to give us the form, we wants to give us the formula. That seems to be what a lot of these guys are saying.

Did you have an opportunity to play with any of these teacher's students? Also, I was surpised to see that Mr. CC Chen was not included, but at the same time it's nice to hear from other sources.

Hi Evo-

Nice quote from your teacher. One of the things that seems to run throughout the Chinese, particularly internal style, martial arts is the "conceptual" blueprint nature of the systems. The form itself is not the point, it's overall body method that becomes intuitive and instantaneous on contact.

Glad you are liking the book. I thought it would be best to filter as little as possible, although there are down sides to that as well.

Glad you liked Paul Gale's interview. He is a man that has "been there done that" so to speak, and he teaches from a very strong, solid basis that is also well thought out. Really interesting guy and excellent teacher. Some of my buddies train with him and have gotten a lot out of it.

William CC Chen? That would have been an amazing honor. Unfortunately I never made it out to New York. There are so many teachers I'd love to meet there. Maybe you could round 'em all up and do a book of interviews!?!?!?

I got to "play" with some of the guys who study with the teachers in the book. Some were good, some exceptionally good. Also some schools show more to visitors than others. Tim Cartmell's group is one of the only ones that have an "open mat" on sunday, and I'd recommend that to anyone in the Long Beach vicinity.

Take care, thanks for the feedback.

-JEss O