Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nei Jia Quan book is complete

I couldn't wait until Christmas after all and went and bought it. Halfway through now. Would definitely recommend it to others. I have only heard of a couple of the teachers from the internet, but I'm still enjoying the interviews a lot, and learning a lot more than I expected. Good job!

Thanks Lights! Glad you like it. It's hard to tell what people will enjoy, I think some articles people will hate, others they will love. And the opposite goes for someone else. Since it covers so many teachers I guess that is bound to happen. When I was done I ended up with respect for all of them, even if I didn't agree with/understand everything they all said.

Take care,

Jess O

Just finished the section on Mr. James Woo. So far, of all the teachers in that book, he's my favorite. Seems to have a lot of experience, great knowledge of mechanics and a heck of a personality. Some good stuff about Bruce Lee (feel the same way).

I started this book. It's incredible, and very timely.

Thanks for putting this together, Jess.

Cool, thanks you guys. Glad you are getting something out of the book. Some of these guys are real characters. Ray, Sifu Woo is very definitely a REAL character. Truly an amazing human being. One thing that's so interesting about him is that he has a Republic of China flag in his office, one of those little ones gathering dust in some corner. But since he is from southern China, I don't think he's ever been to Taiwan. Then one day I realized that he was raised when the ENTIRE country of China was under that flag, not just one small island. I find it amazing that he remembers a country that no longer exists. Makes me wonder how many twists and turns my life could take by the time I get to be 83. Man that guy has a lot of stories. My interview was less than the tip of the iceberg with him. Glad you liked it.

-Jess

Finished the book. Very good. In the end, I was most impressed with Mr. Zhao Da Yuan, sounded like I was talking with my own master.

He said two things which my master is constantly saying:

1) When you go to hit me, I'm not there.

2) Ask for the hand! I've just recently grasped this, but realise how important setting someone up is. If you're not setting them up, then you're pretty much slugging it out. And if you're doing that, well, then good luck.

Thank you for this book. This is one of the better martial art books in my collection.

Relating to asking for the hands

Something else my teacher says a lot THAT WASN'T mentioned in the book but I think is important:

"Don't fight capital to capital. Take care of the troops first."

ALSO:

In every attack, know who is the troop and who is the general.

For example: Why do stick fighters swing overhand and lead with their hand, the general, leaving their troops/weapon behind. That leaves them open for attack. Send the troops/weapon first, and run the hand away.

Many people lead their kicks with their knee, the target/general, leaving the weapon (foot)/troops trailing behind .... this also presents the target (knee).
    Last edited by Ray Pina; 12-06-2004 at 08:24 AM.

Evolution-

Your welcome, thanks very much for commenting on the book. As a writer you surely know how much feedback is appreciated, particularly positive feedback!

Very interesting comment from your teacher about the leading edge of attack and defense, and the set up. That's just the kind of thing that would be so interesting to read in an interview. Maybe someday you'll publish something with him?

Take care,

Jess O

The book is great (i'm half way through). So nice to read things from others that often fall from the mouth of your own teacher. Read the interview with B.K. Frantzis last night and then had a similar conversation about gaps between techniques with my own teacher this morning. Thanks for a great book.

Hi Batsey,

I agree that mental awarness during and in between techniques is one of the most important aspects of IMA style training. Most fighting methods learn it intuitively over years of hard sparring experience. Whereas in internal styles, it is taught from the start as a core concept. It helps a lot in freestyle fighting.

Glad you like the book!!

-Jess O

I left this as a sticky until Christmas in case anyone here wanted to buy it as a gift.
    I have a signature.

I'll pick it up at some point. From the excerpts I read, sounds good

peace
    Zvika

Also, for anyone who hadn't guessed, Jess is just a dam nice guy. He's also modest as he!!. He's trained more than many who post on these forums (and with some great instructors) but he doesn't brag about it at all.

And top it all off, he wrote a dam good book! Awesome work Jess!

T.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Yo T-
    Thanks for the compliments, you are also a hellof a nice guy. Strange how many cool folks you meet in the martial arts world. Much nicer in person than on internet!

I'm glad you liked the book, it is meant for geeks like us who love the classical martial arts. I hear you did well at the Natsta tournament, congrats. It can be stressful but in the end worth it to get out there and do it up. Nice.

HopGar-theres not too much about southern style in the book, but there are some interesting statements from James Wing WOo who learned many southern styles in Canton during the 1930's.

Keep rockin' and rollin'

-Jess O

LOL! It's funny Jess, but as long as I'm there to fight I have no stress at all. It's a natural, enjoyable thing. But put me up in front of a bunch of people and have me do forms and I'm a nervous wreck! Fighting's so much easier!

T.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust