Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thai Boxing Seminar Notes

Originally posted by Tydive

From what you have seen what makes the MT strikes so much stronger than the WC ones (or any other styles for that matter)? Also, given that they hit harder do they lose anything in speed or control?
    wc uses a whip like energy for power generation, correct? muay thai is more like a baseball bat - it just plows through the target. Also, MT does alot of training geared toward building power - thai pad training and heavy bag training specifically. I don't see any major difference in speed, with the exception of chain punches, but IME, there's a tradeoff of power there. As far as control, only in the case of the roundhouse - if it misses, some people are taken completely around by the momentum. Soem are good enough to be able to stop in mid kick, and others will plant the foot before spinning completely around and follow with a side or back kick.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

7* asks:
    wc uses a whip like energy for power generation, correct?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That is one kind of energy- there are others. No comment on MT.
    Last edited by Vajramusti; 11-24-2004 at 05:57 AM.

Well I'll comment on Muay Thai power generation...

"Also, MT does alot of training geared toward building power - thai pad training and heavy bag training specifically." (Sevenstar)

Wing Chun folks should be doing similar things - and very frequently.

Pads/mitts/shields/heavy bags, etc.

And here's another one...I've taken some carpet underpadding material (it's about an inch thick) and wrapped it completely around my Wooden Dummy (with the exception of the arms and leg, of course)...and punch/palm strike/elbow/kick...the WD full power all the time.

Definitely helps turn the whip-like action into very powerful strikes.

7*
    muay thai is more like a baseball bat - it just plows through the target
    Ummm... how? My understanding of a strike is that I end it at a specific point. Usually 2-4" inside the person. If you are going through the person then how do you avoid pushing the punch? How do you avoid ending up off balance at the end of a strike (ala baseball swing)?
    Timing is Everything,

Ty

I think it's relative. I know some guys in MT that kick so hard that if there was nothing there to make contact with the kick would swing all the way around....

Then again there's weaklings like me that still "whip it". I don't like the kicks that go all the way around because then Im exposing my backside. And I don't like exposing my backside...unless it's like a practical joke or something. Wait....that's a different backside. Nevermind.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

when punching, you target behind the person, not just into them. focusing behind can equate to pushing - that's something your coach should pick up on and correct - it's a technique flaw on the practitioner's part, as it being off balanced when you throw a strike. If your stance and balance are correct, you will not fall of balance when trying to punch through something. same with the kicks. It's not uncommon for the arc of a missed roundhouse to continue around. Some people are able to stop the strike mid kick if they miss. I've seen occasions where people spin all the way around and I've seen people who will plant that kicking foot before rotating completely and counter with either a side or back kick.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by Vankuen
    Then again there's weaklings like me that still "whip it". I don't like the kicks that go all the way around because then Im exposing my backside. And I don't like exposing my backside...unless it's like a practical joke or something. Wait....that's a different backside. Nevermind.

whoa...tmi...

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

when punching, you target behind the person
    Ok. That explains why so many fights that I watch look like pushing contests to me. I could see how that would change things quite a bit from how I do it. Not just the strikes but your set up distance and follow up options. I would hate to try to do that unless I was up on the balls of my feet.
    Timing is Everything,

Ty

boxers fight on the balls of the feet for mobility, not for depth with the strike. Like I said, pushing in the strike is possible, but that is the result of bad technique, generally leaving the arm extended for too long - typically from trying too hard to penetrate too much.

the heavy bag is a beautiful thing.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by Tydive
    Ok. That explains why so many fights that I watch look like pushing contests to me.
    You are watching Muay Thai fights that look like pushing contests?

I'm thinking he's referring to some mma stuff.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter