Thread: Long Time Away

Long Time Away

(Sorry for the previous post under this thread, was meant for the main forum).

I have been away from Kung Fu for almost 4 years now, and the effect of being so has left me relatively unfit.

I would like to re-ignite my passion for Kung Fu, but feel that simply going along to a class and being so much less than I used to be (not to say I was fantastic in the first place ) would severely deteriment my confidence.

Can anyone reccomend a scheme for getting back into shape so I may once again attend classes? (I realise this is quite a broad thing I am asking for, but any input is greatly appreciated).

Thank you.
    Last edited by Kairo; 11-22-2004 at 03:48 PM.

There are a few of us that have used parts, or the whole thing of some of these programs....

http://www.trainforstrength.com/
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Hhhmmm, a nice site, but my focus isnt really on developing 'explosive power etc' at the moment - more toward regaining a reasonable degree of fitness.

Do you know what I mean?

One thing that I've discovered is that Kung Fu is not about fighting, it's not about ego, and it's not about being the best. For me it's all about personal growth.

During the time that I've been practicing kung fu I've had several injuries. Injuries that made it impossible to go to class for a few months. Coming back from these injuries was difficult. It was hard to see that my class mates had improved while my fitness level had declined. But I came back, took it at my own pace and now I feel comfortable with the level that I am at.

Each injury for me ended up being an opportunity to grow.

So my advice is just go back to class. Don't worry about your level of expertice or fitness. Just go back and go at your own pace. I bet you won't regret it.

If you don't want to do that. Do you remember any of your forms? If so then start practicing. The best way to get in shape for kung fu is to do kung fu. Work on leg strength and flexibility by doing stance drills. Improve your cardio by jumping rope for 3 minute rounds to simulate sparring. You could also do hindu squats and cat style pushups.

Good luck.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Look a bit further at NP's tip - specifically here.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Originally posted by norther practitioner
    There are a few of us that have used parts, or the whole thing of some of these programs....

http://www.trainforstrength.com/
    Originally posted by Toby
    Look a bit further at NP's tip - specifically here.
    The correct has marked it's territory all over this thread.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Maybe by getting in shape you mean cardio endurance. For this, start running, and up you runs by 30 seconds each day until you can run for 30 minutes straight. Then shoot for 5 straight miles, and that's all the cardio you really need. Cross train in swimming for added benifit. Also, don't forget to work on stretching after your cardio sessions, to gain flexibility rather than becoming even more stiff. Make sure to work on splits, as most schools will have you do them.

Once that basic level of fitness is attained, you can then go hardcore with training like trainforstrength.com
    Answer the question.

Oh how I love this workout. The Sandbag Death, which I originally heard about as Matt Furey's "15 minutes of Hell" seems like the ultimate fight prep for a grappler to me. I'd love to try three months on nothing but this workout and randori 3X per week each, but my deadlifts, oh my poor deadlifts...
    Bodhi Richards

Re: Long Time Away

Originally posted by Kairo
    (Sorry for the previous post under this thread, was meant for the main forum).

I have been away from Kung Fu for almost 4 years now.

Thank you.
    Shame on you, you shouldn't show your face in here ever, your kung fu should be destroyed so you may never practice again.

Unhappy

*Hangs head in shame*

I knew the truth would have to come out.

I was training in Shaolin for 3 years, then I got all 'I want to fight - martial arts are about fighting, not discipline, or wellbeing, or the actual art'

So I went JKD. Got a serious neck injury on week 3. Never went back to any martial art.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    just another nod at the trainforstrength.com workouts.

really good stuff.

and don't underestimate the pushup workout when you stand up to rest after the first pushup...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

LOL, yeah the pyramid thing with the workouts catches up to you way quicker than you'd think.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    no doubt.

I've only done the whole 'workout #1' 5 times in the last 3 weeks.
    trying to get it in twice a week but it's tough.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"