Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOw many times do u kick per day ?

HOw many times do u kick per day ?

I thought abot starting this topic to compare my training and see if Im pushing myself hard enough. I kick at least 150 times a day(plus the abs exercise and arm exercise.

back when I used to train kungfu, I would do about 700 kicks in a session. Many people do twice that, if they are great MA shape.

Some of those are straight legged kicks, be careful not to hyperextend your legs with the snap kicks.(stress the knee)

it's very interesting you should bring that up...

i measure the intensity of my MA workout by how many kicks i do per workout... or, more importantly, how many kicks i do in a given week.

usually i do about 200 to 300 kicks in one workout

i try to manage about 1500 kicks per week (during competition season)

every now and then, i'll do about 500 to 700 basic kicks in one workout then take about 6 days off to rest

2000 per day
    Last edited by Li Nin KiT; 11-22-2004 at 11:52 PM.

about... zero

think i never did even 100 kicks in one day
    still could hit harder than most people

quit your repetition kick obsession
    get your mechanics right
    make your body stronger
    and learn to apply the kick in fighting

Originally posted by MoreMisfortune

get your mechanics right
    make your body stronger
    and learn to apply the kick in fighting
    This is interesting advice.

"get your mechanics right" - maybe you can do this by watching Jet Li movies but most people have to practice proper form in order to achieve it.

"Make your body stronger" - Ok, if I want to have stronger kicks whats the best training. Hmmmmmmmm, maybe kicking.

"Learn to apply the kick in fighting" - Again, if I'm going to learn how to apply the kick I'm going to have to practice that, aren't I.

So to sum it all up. If you want to be a better kicker, you have to kick more.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Countless.

I don't think I ever actually count past ten for anything in my life.

Originally posted by Chief Fox
    This is interesting advice.

"get your mechanics right" - maybe you can do this by watching Jet Li movies but most people have to practice proper form in order to achieve it.

"Make your body stronger" - Ok, if I want to have stronger kicks whats the best training. Hmmmmmmmm, maybe kicking.

"Learn to apply the kick in fighting" - Again, if I'm going to learn how to apply the kick I'm going to have to practice that, aren't I.

So to sum it all up. If you want to be a better kicker, you have to kick more.
    excuse me, are you talking to ME, dancer-boy?

Originally posted by MoreMisfortune
    excuse me, are you talking to ME, dancer-boy?
    I sure am. Your original post says that you don't practice kicks but you can "still could hit harder than most people".

Then you basically say that people who practice kicks are wasting their time "quit your repetition kick obsession".

Then you give a bunch of advice on how to kick better all of which would include repetitive kicking!

So your comments contradict each other.

What's with the "dancer-boy" comment?

he was obviously just trying to rile everyone up...which is fine. i wont hold that against him if he's starved for some attention.

seriously i would have liked to hear an opposing opinion. unfortunately he didnt have anything intelligent to say after simply knocking down other peoples training.

so how about it.... does anyone have a better training solution that's more efficient than pure repetition ?

So when you kick, are you kicking something, like a heavy bag? Or are they kicks in the air. Or a little of both?

At my school, in addition to kicking, we sometimes practice static holds to improve kicking and balance.

For example: A static hold for a front snap kick would be rising up into a crane stance balancing on your left leg. Then extend your right leg out and hold it there. Keep your leg straight and hold it as high as you can. You can measure strength, flexibility and balance by how long and how high you hold your leg. Bring your leg back in and then extend it out to the side. How long and how high can you hold it?

^^sometimes I do that. And to answer previous questions, I kick most of the times the air, but i also have a bag and I practice on it every once in a while... after i read that some people kicked 2000 times a day I got really surprised... and btw, is it true that if you kick too many times now that you are young, when you get old you are to lose your knees strength, flexibility and balance ?

varying the speed of the kick is good.

The biggest danger as I alluded to before, is hyperextending the knee joint with snap kicks in the air. It is a fine line, you don't really want to pull the kick, but you can't let it go all the way with full power. Remember that a kick that lands on something or someone solid, won't be at full extension except maybe on a follow through. Same goes for a punch and your elbows.

Maybe its a good idea to do a few months weight training and light plyometric drills to ensure joint strength, before even beginning kicking. After all when your kicking there is a lot of force coming back at your knees and hips.

Any thoughts on this?
    Last edited by _William_; 11-23-2004 at 04:32 PM.

Originally posted by Chief Fox
    I sure am. Your original post says that you don't practice kicks but you can "still could hit harder than most people".

Then you basically say that people who practice kicks are wasting their time "quit your repetition kick obsession".

Then you give a bunch of advice on how to kick better all of which would include repetitive kicking!

So your comments contradict each other.

What's with the "dancer-boy" comment?
    No, sweet pants
    I said when I am not training right now, but when was training i never did more than 100 and STILL was hitting harder than most...

you dancer