Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Robert Downey Jr & Wing Chun

Robert Downey Jr & Wing Chun

Did anybody see today's Oprah episode, apparently they were interviewing Robert Downey Jr and his successes since being out of Jail and how he is doing now. I didn't see the episode but I heard about Downey's training with Eric Oram who is a Sifu Instructor under GM William Cheung(TWC) in Santa Monica, CA, and it was profiled on the show today and how Wing Chun has helped him clean himself up. Too bad I missed it, it would have been nice to see. If anyone gets a clip of the Wing Chun part let me know where you can download it. Here's a link to some of what happened on the show(text), http://www.oprah.com/tows/slide/2004...1123_105.jhtml .

James

*cough* I saw it... *cough* ...laf.

Downey threw a lead-right jab at his Sifu who was in a parallel front stance(left) and Sifu Oram stepped forward with his left foot just to the blindside/outside of Downey's punch, pak sao'd and followed up with chain punches.

That was the clip!

Peace,
    Couch
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Re: Robert Downey Jr & Wing Chun(TWC) on Oprah

Originally posted by sihing
    Did anybody see today's Oprah episode, apparently they were interviewing Robert Downey Jr and his successes since being out of Jail and how he is doing now. I didn't see the episode but I heard about Downey's training with Eric Oram who is a Sifu Instructor under GM William Cheung(TWC) in Santa Monica, CA, and it was profiled on the show today and how Wing Chun has helped him clean himself up. Too bad I missed it, it would have been nice to see. If anyone gets a clip of the Wing Chun part let me know where you can download it. Here's a link to some of what happened on the show(text), http://www.oprah.com/tows/slide/2004...1123_105.jhtml .

James

I saw it! The wife had Oprah on when I walked in just as they cut to the clip of Downey in Orams school. Wing Chun came off very well in that segment. Downey spoke highly of what he was learning and looked very good in his brief demo of some technique. It will be interesting to see if his training has truly helped him to the point that he can stay off of drugs, and whether we see him in any martial arts roles doing Wing Chun when he gets back to his a acting career.

Keith

Keith,
    The first step is admitting that you were watching Oprah and not your wife.

From the link, it says that he's training 6 days a week. Did the show say anything about how long he's been training?

J
    Yo mama is so fat, she has jeans made by Jeep

Oh ya, well Yo mama is so fat, she has a blackbelt at McDonald's

I think I will not want to be associated with TWC anymore, Robert Downey Jr. what a jerk.
    John

Have little and gain;
    Have much and be confused.

i need a famous celebrity

I think i'll go after Martha stewart....heheheh

Originally posted by Chum Kil
    I think I will not want to be associated with TWC anymore, Robert Downey Jr. what a jerk.
    It seems as though he's trying to get his life back together through WC. Does that make him a jerk?
    PP
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Re: Robert Downey Jr & Wing Chun(TWC) on Oprah

Originally posted by sihing

James
    Ok, that's just weird. Although I'm happy for anyone that can turn their life around from problems of that sort, and it's not too surprising to see people reach that through a study of wing chun. It's just bizzare to see it on The Oprah Winfrey Show...

Seems like Eric Oram might have quite a few celebraties training with him, did anyone see this article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...8/workout1025/
    Last edited by Sandman2[Wing Chun]; 11-24-2004 at 09:27 AM.
    Thanks!
    Sandman[Wing Chun]

"Learning is not compulsory ... neither is survival."

-W. Edwards Derning

A thought on Civil Discourse:

“Democracy is a means of living together despite our differences. Democratic deliberation is an alternative to physical violence. It is predicated on the assumption that it’s possible to disagree agreeably, that it’s better to laugh than cry, that one can vigorously contest the positions of one’s adversary without questioning his or her personal integrity or motivation, and that parties to a debate are entitled to the presumption that their views are legitimate if not correct.” -Thomas Mann

Originally posted by Phil Redmond
    It seems as though he's trying to get his life back together through WC. Does that make him a jerk?
    PP
    No. He was a jerk prior (and I'm being very leinent here), and I'm willing to bet he will quit and be a jerk again. What I'm saying is he will not change, and if he does I still do not like the guy, never will.
    John

Have little and gain;

He was actually being interviewed on the local radio show out here in SoCal as well yesterday morning talking about how he was doing Wing Chun. Rolling into work and hearing Wing Chun mentioned on the radio was a pleasant surprise.
    Sifu Adam Williss
    The Dragon Institute
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/orangecountywingchunkungfu

So who here actually knows good ol' Robbie personally anyway to say how he was or wasn't? Do you know what his life was like aside from what's on the video cameras and from the press?

He's been on track to getting things back on track for a while now from what we hear...but like I said above...who really knows? Or cares for that matter.

The main thing is that wing chun got some press on a highly watched show...it may bring in more chickies to the classes too since we all know that only girls watch oprah, right?
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

He was recently a crackhead. Now he is marrying a hot producer he met a couple of months ago.
    It amazes how celebs get to start over again and again and again and again. Doesn't she care he was a drug addict last month? Talking about giving the benefit of the doubt.

It's all publicity.
    John

Have little and gain;

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jeff Bussey
    [B]Keith,
    The first step is admitting that you were watching Oprah and not your wife.

---Ok! Ok! But I didn't select the channel, SHE did! :-) Did anyone see the show last week about the Brownie leader that went to swinger's clubs? :-)

From the link, it says that he's training 6 days a week. Did the show say anything about how long he's been training?

---I didn't hear the whole interview, so don't know. But like I said, his technique didn't look bad. He did tell Oprah that it was great stuff and that she should consider taking up Wing Chun as well. :-)

Keith

My wife watched Oprah on a day home from work (not me, honest, I'm a Jerry Springer man myself).

Supposedly one of the characters on Sex in the City (which I don't watch either) was having man problems (apparently not unusual on this show), and another character said, "He's just not that into you".

So on Oprah they have some guy that wrote the script, a psychologist, and all these loser brain dead women quoted saying things like "I was dating this man that wasn't treating me right, until I saw that episode of SITC and heard that line, "He's just not that into you", and right then I realised I had to leave that b**tard and turn my life around". The same with women in the audience. And this went on for ten minutes with the psychologist giving these women advice (mine would have been "have a tubal ligation so you cannot pass on those genes"), and somehow keeping a straight face.

What idiots. Spend too much time watching that stuff, your brain will turn to mush.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!