Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Government tracks you with color laser printers

Government tracks you with color laser printers

"If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Here's what they're using to track our internet useage with.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

there are tons of things they are keeping tabs on, yet the government is so unorganized, that they probably never even process the data on you or anyone you will ever know unless it is part of an investigation... a big one.

from doing government consulting, first thing that amazed me was how unorganized it was. the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. each department and agency wants to be it's own entity and doesn't communicate well (if at all) with others. it is very sad. but at least i helped with that, writing software to replace humans to improve efficiency and communication (and reporting too, so they actually know what is going on in their own department/agency).
    My school: http://pailumwarrior.com/

um, i would say that what is going on is a standard and acceptable security measure in place for the purpose of foiling counterfeiters to a degree.

It helps the SS (ultimately the ones responsible for acts of forgery and counterfeiting) to at least have a starting point of where to look when they attempting to stem the flow of a particular grade of counterfeit bills.

I'm pretty sure the government could care less about the baby pictures you just printed. THis is not the purpose and it is indeed for investigative purposes only.

It's not a conspiracy and this is old news. It has been known for sometime that these measures are in place to ensure that colour laser printers are not used in the practice of counterfeiting.

Now move along, there's nothing to see here.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I work in a copy/print shop as the designer. In three years, I have had about 6 people try to copy money. 6 not very smart people.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

www.curious3d.com

"tracks" or "tracking" is a misnomer. The government can use it to track, not that they are tracking or do track using this method.

Originally posted by Ming Yue
    I work in a copy/print shop as the designer. In three years, I have had about 6 people try to copy money. 6 not very smart people.
    What happens? Do you have to report that? I've always wanted to scan a dollar bill to see what would happen. I heard there's something special about the ink used in money and it won't scan or print the correct color or something.

when I was going to college I worked over night at Kinkos. Th ecolor printers did an ok job of printing fake money, but it was always a different shade or tone then the real thing and anyone but a complete idiot could have spotted it.
    As for people asking to copy it, we were only allowed to at lik 33% of it's original size, or it had to be reduced 33% or something like that. People would come in and say, "can you photocopy this?" and we would tell them the policy. More often then not it was for some project and the reduction didn't cause any problems.

yep, it's ok to either reduce or enlarge by >50%.

The green that the us mint uses has special reflective qualities so it either shifts blueish or yellowish when copied or scanned.

I too have scanned parts of US bills for people to use in projects, and the color is never true.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

www.curious3d.com

Wash them in color safe bleach and see what happenes
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Oh, btw, if I was any of you guys, I would never admit to photo copying hundreds of dollars worth of $20's, washing them in color safe bleach and then driving to Milwalkee Wisconsin to roam the city buying Small french fries or small diet cokes at every fast food place with a drive up that could be found, untill they were all spent, simply because I know the stupid 16 year olds at the late night window are color blind.

Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Being a most excellent designer Ming, couldn't you Photoshop or Gimp up a note and print it as opposed to copying it? I dunno really what US$ look like. Here in Oz each of our notes is different colour and they're all made of a funny plasticky paper and have clear windows with watermarks == hard to copy.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

^ Are your bills different sizes, too? I know some countires have different sized bills.

Aren't yours? I don't remember. Anyway, ours are slightly different. *Rustles in wallet* I've got a 5, 10, 20 & 50. All are slightly different in width in order of value, but similar (the same?) in height. I guess so they don't stick out the top of your wallet.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

All our bills are the same size.

Our coins, though, are different sizes. With one exception, it's bigger coin = more valuable.

It goes like this in value:

Penny = 1 cent
    Nickel = 5 cents
    Dime = 10 cents
    Quarter = 25 cents

But from smallest to largest in size, it goes like this:

Dime
    Penny
    Nickel
    Quarter

The difference in size and value probably has to do with the fact that pennies are copper and the other ones are silver (I think).

Oh, we also have 50 cent and one dollar coins, but no one ever uses them and you hardly ever see one.
    Last edited by IronFist; 11-25-2004 at 01:31 AM.