Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: class structure

**Little*Dragon** Guest

class structure

Hi

I am new to Wing Chun. I was wondering how other people's Wing Chun classes are structured in terms of conditioning and skills.

In my class, we seem to do A LOT of conditioning. Kicking bags, push-ups,ect. My classes are 1.5 hours long...at least 45 minutes of it is pure conditioning. In the skills part, we are usually partnered up and do things like: A will attack B with a round punch. B will defend with a Pak Sau and counter with a kick and 5 punches.

Is this typical of most Wing Chun schools? I was under the impression that there was a lot of forms training in CMA. I have only had four classes so far. I have seen the Sil Lim Tao once.

Just curious.

BTW the conditioning is killing me! Holy cow these guys are in good shape!
    :eek:

Little Dragon

Martial Joe Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> we seem to do A LOT of conditioning. Kicking bags, push-ups, [/quote]

In my school we dont so that.Push ups isnt wing chun.Lots of schools train like yours do and stress working out, but my sifu focuses on wing chun and not conditioning the body.He told me if i want to get in shape to do it on my own time because his school is for wing chun and only wing chun...

IXIJoe KaveyIXI
    I am Sharky's main man...

Sharky Guest
    how many times a week do you train? if it's only once or twice then that workout is the only work out some people are getting.

"Spectacular immaculate raps massacre cats like dracula bats, I'm snappin yer back cos I'm attackin the wack, duckin yer rapid attack, **** packin a gat, the mechanic of rap'll give you panic attacks with his Satanical raps." - Guess who.

azwingchun Guest

Martial Joe

I agree with you.....working out and conditioning should't be the main focus of class. I explain conditioning and go thru it several times with my students, but tell them that I will not waste their time in class doing this. This needs to be done at home on their own time.

Sleepflower Guest

class structure

we practice more on drills, applications and footwork at a typical 1hr lesson.

**Little*Dragon** Guest

azwingchun

Yes I agree with you. It seems to me that a great deal of class time is devoted to non-wing chun like activity. Even in our skills training last week my eyebrow went up when one person was to give a spinning back kick and the other was to defend against it. I guess it might be relevant in learning how to fight other styles...but correct me if I am wrong...wing chun doesn't have a spinning back kick!

Little Dragon

azwingchun Guest

Little Dragon

I believe as I think all of us here that training against styles/systems other than our own is the only way to learn real self-defense (what good does it do to learn to defend against only Wing Chunners?). Though I know a Wing Chun teacher who stated that after doing non-Wing Chun techniques against his students on a daily basis hour after hour that he felt his Wing Chun was suffering because of it. I would suggest training with people outside your system if and when you feel comfortable to do so. Though I also believe it is your Sifu's responsibility to explain how your techniques work against various attacks of different styles. ;)

lotus kick Guest

little dragon

are you sure you are taking a Wing Chun class? Remember that "Kung Fu" comes in many types.

**Little*Dragon** Guest

Lotus Kick

Actually, I am beginning to wonder if I am in McChun..instead of Wing Chun. I arrived early one day for class and was able to see the "kung fu cardio kickboxing" that the school runs to attract the aerobic-types. The routine that they were doing looked identical to the conditioning part (which lasts 45 minutes) of my regular class.
    :confused:

Little Dragon

kungfu cowboy Guest
    You spend your money to learn wing chun, not do aerobics! Can you learn wing chun on your own? No. Anything other than doing wing chun in a wing chun class just wastes $$$. (unless maybe its qigong or something) There's plenty of stuff to do without having to make it a gym class.

Gluteus Maximus Guest
    I agree with Kungfu Cowboy. You don't even have to be very fit to learn Wing Chun. Your time in class is limited. Best to spend it on just learning Wing Chun without the padding and if you want to get fit, do it outside of class time.

Max

Yooby Yoody

chi-kwai Guest

Little Dragon

"Even in our skills training last week my eyebrow went up when one person was to give a spinning back kick and the other was to defend against it."

This is funny. On occasion, when we are doing our three man drills, I will throw a spin kick against the guy defending. I would never use this in a real fight, its ridiculous. I throw these in to remind that the best response against a spin kick is a foot to the arse. :D

--
    chi kwai

**Little*Dragon** Guest

chi kwai

I completely agree. If I ever saw someone turn their back to me in a fight I would rush em.
    That is why I was so surprised. It is such a useless move. I didn't know why we were being taught it in the first place.

Little Dragon

nobody Guest

hmmm.

as i do not train wing chun i cannot help you in that department. but i would still like to offer my point of view on the other subject. i train in northern mantis. our class is an hour long, but it frequently runs about a half an our over. depending on what we are doing we do about a half an hour to 45 minutes of warmups, which can consist of all, some, or one of these. punches(differing types mind you), endurance stances, frogjumps and rockingpushups, and a few others. then we either learn forms or body coordinations or blocking and punching. mind you i have only been training for a few months so im sure in the more advanced class, there is more to it. the point i am trying to make is, just because you are not doing wing chun and getting a workout instead, dont assume that you are not training. physical fitness is VERY important to most kungfu styles. what is the point of knowing how to execute a perfect kick, if you have no power behind it. now im not saying that anyone elses teaching methods are wrong. just a little fitness, in an MA class, is a good thing in my opinion.

chi-kwai Guest

"nobody"

I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that you get a work out in wing chun or any martial art. Getting a good workout and being fit is an integral part to being on top of your skills, but it certainly isn't a prerequisite. (though I do wonder sometimes when a "master" has a huge belly) ;)

Sometimes you will find teachers who use conditioning and warm ups to eat up time in class in order not to advance a student quickly, or just because the teacher's knowledge is not that great. This is a rarity, but it does occur.

--
    chi kwai