Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: class structure

nobody Guest

good point.

n/t

Printer Guest
    I also am very new to Wing Chun....

The classes I goto last 1 hour. I go three days a week.

We start every class with Sil Lim Tao. Normally after that Sifu will give us a specific drill to start with. He stops us every now and again for pointers or to change partners. He says he wants us to get a different feel for the chi. Also some times he will change the drill all together.

I have never had to do any physical conditioning or aerobics at school. This is not to say I do not get a workout. And all the punching and pac sau's are conditioning my arms quite nicely.

It seems to me that the foundation building is up to the student: stance, horse, punch and other such stuff. They do correct you in school but you must take the responsibility of training them on yourself.

After seeing other styles, even training in some, I found it quite hard to believe that the student could have so much input and responsibility. Not just be mechanical and muscled.

Good luck

reneritchie Guest
    Our usual class began with everyone (everyone being my 4-6 classmates and i) warming up on our own and going through our Sup Yee Sik (12 Forms) and Kuen To (Boxing Sets). Whatever we were working on at the time would be observed by our sifu (Siu Lien Tao at first, later other forms, dummy, weapons, etc.) and corrected. While he corrected one, the rest of us would keep practicing, some doing the sets over and over, some playing dummy or doing other Lien Gung Sik (Practice Work Forms like sand bag, etc.) After about an hour of that, we'd do an hour of Chi Sao (huen sao, luk sao, bong lap sao, etc.) and San Sao (separate applications). When we made mistakes, sifu would correct and we'd practice the corrections until we'd gotten them. Then we'd Yum Cha or Sik Ye Juk ;)

As to the rest, IMHO, if you're going to be doing any kind of training that is not specifically WCK (be it general conditioning, meditation, legal factors in self-defense, etc.) the sifu should independantly qualified in those areas. Otherwise, seek out a qualified personal trainer or other expert to work on those areas.

Rgds,

RR

CerberusXXL Guest

Class structure

Little Dragon,

You said that your class runs for a total of 90 minutes but 45 minutes of it are pure conditioning.
    Now, there is something wrong with this picture. Half of the class beign dedicated to conditioning isn't right. Let's all be honest here, were are in a wing chun class to learn wing chun or to be fit? I am personally fit because I have my routine (jogging, weight lifting) and I came to martial arts to learn how to defend my self.

I think your school may not be the best but if it is the only wing chun school in town then your best option is to stay.

Here is the routine that we have.
    *2hrs class.
    *15 to 20 minutes are dedicated to stretching and some conditioning.
    *The class then continue to basic drills such as practicing footwork, hand movements and so on.
    The next part of the class we trained with partners and practice offense and defense and we use combinations.
    At the end of the class we finish with sium lim tao.

The focus of the class is really on "street defense"

Well good luck.

whippinghand Guest

conditioning...

is not something to be played with. Forms are SOOOOOOOOO important, in this respect. If you don't have your forms down, don't waste your time with conditioning, or you'll hurt yourself over time.

**Little*Dragon** Guest
    Well it is the ONLY kung fu class in town. I actually took it for a few months a few years back, but had to stop due to illness. Now that I have resumed my training, I am disturbed by the change in instruction. It seemed back in the old days, they explained more...maybe they think I remember more than I do. I have mentioned a few times that I don't remember the Sil Lim Tao...but have yet to be retaught it.
    I should perhaps clarify some of the conditioning involves footwork drills,stance changing and the like.
    I just feel like a fish out of water here though...the next newest student has a few months of training on me. They just tell me to follow along and I will pick it up. Am I wrong to feel this way...is this traditional teaching?

Little Dragon

**Little*Dragon** Guest
    This is the dude that my school has in the pictures for lineage. I believe he is my sifu's master.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa/99vs66/Lewadny.html

Little Dragon

Scott Guest

Bull sh*t

Bull sh*t to everyone, I say. No one is thinking objectively--everyone thinks the way that they run their class/their class is run is the best way. If your teacher knows Wing Chun and is obviously good at it, do what he says. If he wants you to mop the floors like Mr. Miagi, have some faith in him.

The idea that we should work our fat asses out more often isn't a bad one. Sounds like he's training serious fighters, not weekend practicioners.

Don't worry too much about the sets. If you do a lot of drills, you'll know all the moves that the sets are supposed to teach anyway. Knowing the sets is neccessary to get the full scope of Wing Chun, but it isn't the most important part of the system, nor is it required to become a skilled fighter. Some Wing Chun lineages do not teach sets, but rather teach everything through sparring and drills.

-Scott

"I'm just an actor, just like Robert f***ing Redford when I say those stupid words that they expect me to say."--Art Alexakis

CerberusXXL Guest

Little Dragon,

If you don't like the changes that your sifu has made, you may consider letting him know about it because he might do something.
    In addition, I noticed that instructor like to experiment new routine once in a while to see what works best.
    At any rate, you are investing your hard earned money so I feel you should have a saying.

Finally, the best way to learn to wing chun or any martial arts style is to learn one of one with the master. One on one class are the best and your skills increase dramatically. It's too bad one on one class are beyond what I could ever afford or willing to pay.

whippinghand Guest

I retract my last message

didn't realize he was referring to sport conditioning.

Wei Sui Guest

if you question your school now, you will question it later...

Little Dragon

IMO, the time you spend on Wing Chun is just too small. Politely, bring these issues up with your Sifu and ask for an explanation as to why so much time is focused on conditioning. Maybe he can shed light?! In addition, I don't really think you should doing hardcore conditioning if you are going to be learning/practicing the form/skills after...fatigue will play a factor the way you learn/execute everything...especially building your foundation.

If you already have feelings that the school is suspect, then do what is right...investigate and make your decision.

Good luck and hopefully things work out

Dai yut tow dai :)