Thread: Attn Knifefighter: reverse grip

JWTAYLOR Guest

Attn Knifefighter: reverse grip

I remember a couple of years ago you were at a Dog Brothers gathering and, according to yourself and another witness, you used the reverse grip very effectively. I commented that I sucked with the reverse grip, and you said that it let you work some different angles.

I've been sparring with the reverse grip exclusively for the last 4 months or so and I've seen allot of progress. But I'm mostly scorring with multiple stabs, getting very few slices in and I'm very rarely "defanging the snake". Something I was able to do better with a standard grip.

I can't find any FMA instructors around here that teach the reverse grip that I trust.

Where did you get your reverse grip techniques?
    Any specific instructors you can reccomend?
    Any movements you rely on?
    Any specific scenarios the reverse grip works well with?

Thanks,
    JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Knifefighter Guest
    Where did you get your reverse grip techniques?
    I learned the basics from a variety of sources- Insonsanto; Villabrello; Largusa; Kinente. I took what I learned from them and then expanded from there on my own.

Any specific instructors you can recommend?
    Not really, other than Dan or maybe Alvis Solis.

Any movements you rely on?
    I prefer to keep those as hard-won trade secrets.

Any specific scenarios the reverse grip works well with?
    I find the reverse grip works best with those who aren’t too familiar with defending against it. I like to mix it up with a standard grip.
    o