Thread: Wing Chun Distance Learning/Correspondence Courses

Blog Entries

Wing Chun Distance Learning/Correspondence Courses

I noticed the earlier post on Fong's Correspondence Courses and I was wondering what other correspondence or distance learning programs exist. I know that William Cheung offers one. I've also seen another in Arizona. Are there any others? Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of their quality?
    Stop posting and start training.

IMO,if you are 2/3 hours driving distance of a good instructor,you should consider a monthly or bi-monthly private lesson and teach a friend or two for practice.You could even start your own study group!...Who knows how far this could go ?...

The distance courses are always good when the distance is to great. You still can visit your teacher once a year or so for corrections.

Askari Hodari-

I have a Correspondence Course program also. I live in Michigan if you would like too get some info: e-mail me at theredboat@comcast.net, I can make it easier for you too see me as many times as you like, by you living in Illinois, just get five to ten guys and we will have a seminar, or call me at #248-746-0097.

Ali Hamad Rahim.

Hey, visit my home page !

Originally posted by old jong
    IMO,if you are 2/3 hours driving distance of a good instructor,you should consider a monthly or bi-monthly private lesson and teach a friend or two for practice.You could even start your own study group!...Who knows how far this could go ?...

The distance courses are always good when the distance is to great. You still can visit your teacher once a year or so for corrections.
    2-3 hrs...that would be great! I drive 9 hrs one way to see my Sifu, but only get to go up twice per year. He allows me to video him to have as a reference and we eMail back and forth often. But I already had a background in another system of WCK, so that helps when being a "distance-learning" student. But it certainly can be done!

Keith

Re: Wing Chun Distance Learning/Correspondence Courses

C.K. Chow has a nice series of tapes but no course per se. I have also heard that Duncan Leung has a course but it is quite expensive I hear.
    Dave

Originally posted by Askari Hodari
    I noticed the earlier post on Fong's Correspondence Courses and I was wondering what other correspondence or distance learning programs exist. I know that William Cheung offers one. I've also seen another in Arizona. Are there any others? Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of their quality?

You should try the Lee Gar Lin correspondence course. So far it's the most complete and he teaches in the videos the exact curriculum that he teaches in his school. So no gaps there.Also he is a great person, and you can tell he knows the material. After all it's 35 years of experience talking. Check it out. www.vingtsun.cc

Blog Entries
    Thanks for everyone's reply.

Askari Hodari
    Stop posting and start training.

About CK Chows tapes

Hello,

Sifu Chow does have a series of Video Tapes/DVD/s available from ESPN or from his site. There are a total of 8 tapes in this series and cover the three empty hand forms, the dummy in two sections and sparring, combat applications and chi sau. While not a "Course" per se they do offer a fairly decent overview of the system as he presents it.
    You can order these here: http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com/traininginfo.html

He also just produce a series of 5 DVD's from either panther or century. You can order them here: http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...cat=253&page=1

However this links only shows 4 of the Dvd's there is a 5th on training on the wooden dummy. Although not the dummy form this DVD covers some basic prior to the learning of the form.

There are plenty of good videos being offered and you really just need to decide which approach fits your needs. Of course, even ecellent videos should be supplemented by live instruction whenever possible as there are many slight nuances which will not be evident in videos.

Good luck in your journey.

Peace,

Dave