Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tai Chi wins in MMA

Tai Chi wins in MMA

www.cagewarriors.com

Sami Berik wins over Abdul Mohamed with a TKO (cut eye).

Not the best win but at least we have a (real) tai chi guy in Pro MMA.

(CAGE RAGE 9)
    Last edited by Liokault; 11-28-2004 at 07:55 AM.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

bad link
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

Mohammed is lucky he didn't get worse!

Taijiquan is, after all, too deadly for the ring.

Edit - yeah, links not working, and I can't find too much current info.
    Last edited by Chang Style Novice; 11-28-2004 at 07:37 AM.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Cant make link work, but it was only the results page. If your that interested its cagewarriors.com
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Tai Chi

found some bio info but it also shows a strong background in Kickboxing, Wing Chun and Wrestling. so Just how much tai chi??

NAME: Sami Berik
    WEIGHT: 75kg (Welterweight)
    TEAM REPRESENTS : Tai Chi Renaissance
    MMA RECORD: 2-3-0
    UC RECORD: 1-3-0
    STYLE: San Shou, Tai Chi

Sami Berik has become an Ultimate Combat regular and has appeared on nearly every single Ultimate Combat event since Ultimate Combat 6. Sami has come represent the pure Traditional Martial Artist in MMA. His background consists of an esoteric blend of Wing Chun, San Shou (full contact Kung Fu), stand-up wrestling and Tai Chi. Berik, originally from Turkey , is a San Shou Champion and holds a San Shou record of 10-5-0 . Sami is also an Internationally decorated Tai Chi representative who recently won a Gold Medal in The European Tai Chi Championships. Berik maintains that Tai Chi is a fundamental part of his fighting method as it provides a sensitivity of movement and strong foundation. Berik has improved with every single Ultimate Combat outing and has gained valuable experience by facing top level opponents such as submissions wizard Mark Spencer, the fearsome Vale Tudo master Kevin O'Hagan and hard man Phil MacCall.
    Sami Berik has just returned from Greece where he was on holiday. While over there he saw a poster advertising a Greek MMA event. Berik went along to watch and after introducing himself to the promoter as an Ultimate Combat fighter, was asked to fight in an impromptu bout. Even though he had the odds stacked against him which included giving away nearly 10kg in weight to his opponent, the language barrier at the rules reading and thinking it was just an amateur (no head shot) bout. Berik only realised it was a full Professional rules bout once he had been mounted and had punches reigning down on his face. Sami immediately reversed and locked his opponent up with a Kimura. Berik was declared the winner. Clearly a testament to his improved ground game.

Sounds like a pretty typical mix-and-match set of chinese barehand fighting styles - tai chi and wing chun led him to san shou, which helped him pick up some shuai (if not literal shuai chiao), then with some ground skills added he made the jump to MMA. That's about what I'd expect a CMA guy competing in MMA to have. I guess he emphasises tai chi either because he finds it a valuable skill set, or he's trying to get his opponents to underestimate him as a silk PJ enthusiast who flaps his arms in the park twice a week. Or maybe even some of each.

Anyway, good on him for racking up a respectable (if not exactly world championship level [YET!]) record.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Yeah, it's really cool when TMA guy's step up to the challenge of MMA competition and do well. I was really excited when Jason Delucia brought Aikido to MMA. He's even got some training videos out that've got fight footage on 'em.

http://www.bytomic.com/detail.asp?urn=1943
    Bodhi Richards

Re: Tai Chi

Originally posted by ngokfei
    found some bio info but it also shows a strong background in Kickboxing, Wing Chun and Wrestling. so Just how much tai chi??
    Sami is also an Internationally decorated Tai Chi representative who recently won a Gold Medal in The European Tai Chi Championships. Berik maintains that Tai Chi is a fundamental part of his fighting method as it provides a sensitivity of movement and strong foundation.
    Sure, he uses other things too, but if he makes a point of saying that tai chi is important to him then why second-guess him? What does he have to gain by lying? The hope that lots of other people will take up tai chi so he can beat their weak time-wasting asses?!

Fair play to him.

Samurai Jack
    Yeah, it's really cool when TMA guy's step up to the challenge of MMA competition and do well.
    Joke: How many Ts does it take to be an M?

Yeah it's cool when TMAs are used in the ring, like tai chi, like jujutsu, like muay thai, like boxing...
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

I think more and more tma-ists will step up eventually.

It is getting tiring listening to the dead horse debate.

It is doubly tiring infact.

Please someone end it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

nobody does "(real) Tai Chi" in MMA
    Tai Chi is

I know Sami quite well and as far as I know he is only training in tai chi now. His teacher Neil Rosak (spelling may be wrong) trained with a quite well known MMA guy....ill remember his name later and has aso done some cage fighting. This dosent stop him having some odd ideas about MMA.

What is "real Taiji"?

Taiji is a set of principles, like flying, it can be expressed countless ways ... mono-plane, bi-plane, jet plane, helicoper, glider....

Well Evofist, u stick to your 'bi' tai chi.....ill stick to my hetro tai chi

Originally posted by Liokault
    This dosent stop him having some odd ideas about MMA.
    okay, I'll bite. what are these odd ideas?