Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kettlebells vs Stone Locks

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Kettlebells vs Stone Locks

I want to try the kettlebell training next but would like to keep the school looking 'chinese' just for aesthetics sake (call me silly).

I've looked and haven't found any specific websites w/ 'stone lock' exercises. I don't really see why the Kettlebell stuff couldn't be used w/ a traditional stone lock.

Agree? Disagree?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Agree. Iron is just heavier than stone.

lol, well I don't have to worry about maxing out on a stone lock anytime soon.

I think I saw some cool stone locks at atomicathlete.com

just trying to mix the old w/ the new.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

KBs are probably smoother, ie. less hand/forearm irritation.

Plus, they're round so you can easier do things like palm presses or whatever they're called.

And the curved handle lets you do exercises that require holding the side of the handle, as opposed to the stone locks I've seen where you can only grab them from the top.

That's why I'd get KBs over stone locks.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

IF, good points that I'd thought of as well.

There is supposedly some traditional exercises from my shrye but I'm so busy trying to get the core info I haven't been able to even think about asking for them.

off hand I'd say that there may be a conditioning aspect to flipping the stone locks around to smack your forearms (and knowing Shrye Shi, I'd bet on it) but normally, yes I'd say they would be an irritant.

the locks at atomicathlete look nice, well polished and the angle on the lock itself would let it smack into your forearm flat instead of on edge.

Kettlebells are more ballistic

Kettlebells are more ballistic. That extended handle gives them a recoil effect that you won't get with the stonelocks. To me stonelocks are really just stone dumbells with as slight offcenter gravity feature.

KB's can condition your forearms from the impact as well, I hear.

i'm sure...anything that heavy will do the trick.

as I'm said, just wanting to keep the guan looking a little traditional...still need to find out more about the ins and outs of the stone locks as a TCMA method of weight training...then again, there might be nothing to it...Stone Locks = Field Expediant Dumbells as Andy pointed out.

That gravitational feature is good for forearm strength and conditioning, both things I'd think are important for Oso's students when they try to hit that bear...
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

So how would you train with those stone locks? Would you use them in the same fashion as a kettlebell or is there a specific type of training that goes along with them? Forms? Some kind of balistic movements? Just curious because those things would be easy to make out of a piece of pipe and some concrete mix.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Originally posted by Chief Fox
    So how would you train with those stone locks? Would you use them in the same fashion as a kettlebell or is there a specific type of training that goes along with them? Forms? Some kind of balistic movements? Just curious because those things would be easy to make out of a piece of pipe and some concrete mix.
    I don't know yet. My shrye has them in his school but I have yet to see him train with them. Neither of my other teachers had them.

One thing I have done in my school is have everyone bring a pair of bricks in and we do forms while holding them...only about 2 lbs each but if you do 6-12 forms in a row with them w/o a break it's a reasonable workout.

stone locks

Oso

There are plenty of exercises using these within our system. Apparently pretty darn important?! I really have an interest in the stone locks and will introduce to my people in 05. Atomic is good folks, they actually talk to you about their products. These locks are not cheap, so be careful where you practise, I have seen them break!

Someone post a link to the stone locks because I want to see them again.

Or you could just look around a bit yourself.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

^ Thanks.

Oso, I really want to lecture you for this statement:

I want to try the kettlebell training next but would like to keep the school looking 'chinese' just for aesthetics sake (call me silly).
    But I won't unless you tell me I can. You know what I'll say, anyway, so just pretend I said it.

edit - orrrrrrrrrr, you could get some of each (I don't know how many you were planning on getting anyway tho).