Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kettlebells vs Stone Locks

Here, these look kind of like a combination of the two. The handles don't look too round, tho.

Kettlebells.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    interesting, they call them kettlebells but then there's the bit about 'used by chinese masters'

good prices too.

thanks.

talked to one of my students yesterday who used to make granite kitchen countertops. we're going to go talk to his old boss about making some locks.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Oso,

Hello. I know this goes without saying, but take care not to fark up your shoulders or elbows when using these training devices for forms and such. In other words, punch with care.

Iron rings are good too. If you don't have them, and don't want to spend so much money to buy them, you can always make them. All a persons got to do is get a pair of truck shocks from a salvage yard, take them to a foundry, have them cut, welded, sanded, and spray painted or tapped.

Tao

TY, indeed. With three torn tendons in my right shoulder, I'm being super careful right now till the doc tells me whether he's going to operate or not.

did iron rings in hung gar but that was 15 years ago. good stuff and a nice way to initiate forearm conditioning w/o banging.

crap...more toys to get.

thanks
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

As far as what stone locks do compared to KB.. I just want to throw in there the different dinamic you get from locks when doing things like curls.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Originally posted by IronFist
    KBs are cheaper if you buy them from everythingtrackandfield.
    What's the shipping costs?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

OK, I just looked at the stone locks in the link. I think it is clear that you can't do a decent shoulder press with one. There is no way to hold it in the rack either. The design is too bulky for a snatch. The only advantage over a kettlebell is to take a light weight and hold it vertically with the box sticking out, like in the picture at atomic athletic. This might be good for some punching drills, although it seems to me that you would want to strengthen the wrist in other directions as well. You couldn't do this too well with a kettlebell since the handle is curved.

Either one, looks like you could use to do swing-type exercises in conjuction with stances and stepping, which is one of the primary uses of the stone lock AFAIK.

One of the main advantages of the kettlebell as a training tool over other types of weights is the ability to hold one or two in the rack. This lets you hold heavier weights longer and target the legs. See www.fullkontactkettlebells.com for some examples.

thanks for the input, nice link.

ok, so it seems that KB's are more versatile then locks.

also, at heavier weights, locks would be hyuge.

Depends on the stone lock exercises in question then. If you want light weights where you can hold the bar in a vertical fist due to the specific nature of the movements, then stone locks would be the way to go. For pretty much anything else, you would want a kettlebell. There are also good resources on kettlebell usage that are easily accessed, while the knowledge of the stone lock seems hard to come by.

There are also good resources on kettlebell usage that are easily accessed, while the knowledge of the stone lock seems hard to come by.
    good point, and the biggest issu w/ making an informed decision.

I know Pong Lai (Master Shr) has them but I'll almost always make the call to learn more about the system vs. stone lock exercises given the limited access.

Buying a Shi Suo

Anyone here know where to buy a Shi Suo in the US?Name:  or6.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  100.0 KB

Atomic Athletic

Atomic Athletic - I remember seeing their ads in a lot of magazines back in the day, maybe even Kung Fu Magazine, but I've never purchased anything from them myself so I don't know about their quality or customer service.

http://atomicathletic.com/store/inde...-padlocks.html

Cool MightyB thank you.

I bought one from Atomic that is roughly 25 lbs. I probably bought it around 8 years ago. Great quality. Very solid. No problems at all.

They look good, kind of expensive though. I got mine at a friends home. He said he mailed me the thing so should have it this week. Dude is flaky though. I miss the training badly. So this is back up if I dont get it.