Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kettlebells vs Stone Locks

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    IF, lecture away, I had my rebuttal ready when I wrote it.

well, both would be cool but as you pointed out, costly.

I started drawing plans for some forms last night to make my own.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

It will have to wait. I'm at work.

Well, here's the gist of it.

Assuming KBs are more functional than stone locks, which I think I explained why I believe they are in a previous post:

It's dumb to get a less functional tool just to maintain "tradition." Traditional karate punches with one hand while the other hand is on the hip. Are you going to keep doing that because it's "tradition?" Or are you going to keep your other hand up so you don't get smacked in the face while you punch.

Exception: if your students base their decision to go to your school (read: your income) on how traditional it is.

Ok I gotta go.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

You know the basis for all of the interest in stone locks is Matt Furey's latest course. One thing you have to say about Furey is that he is a natural promoter and he sure can hit the "hot button."

Tradition or not, they are still a good workout devise, with there own merits....

get whatever you want bro.. it's YOUR school.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

IF, remember I said that I wanted to explore using stone locks with kb exercises.

From what I've seen, I think I can build some concrete locks w/ a high psi mix so they don't chip easily. then seal them well. I think I can also modify the design to increase the dynamic swing that is coming from the longer handle of the kb's. but all that is simply based on what I've read here from everyone's comments.

I hear your point. However, at this point, I'm not really training anyone for strength. If I have some locks around the school and once I learn exactly how to use them, then my students can work out with them during open floor times.

Flipping it back at you: have you ever trained w/ stone locks?

btw, i'm taking this as a good natured debate...

Andy62: actually, my interest stems from seeing them at my shrye's school.

NP: going to. especially since I think I can build several sets in graduated sizes for the cost of one set of commercial ones. thanks.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

I have not used stone locks,but I have trained with kettlebells. The modifications that you suggest would probably give you a greater training effect.

Look at it like this: If there were some kind of traditional barbell where you could only do bench press with it, or a different barbell where you could bench, squat, deadlift, etc., which one would you buy?

But hey, regardless of which one you get, be sure to post reviews and pics

So, your argument is that stone locks are less functional than KB's.

I get that point.

What do you base this on?

You did not answer about whether you have used locks before.

Originally posted by Oso
    So, your argument is that stone locks are less functional than KB's.

I get that point.

What do you base this on?
    Here's a list of things you can do with a KB that you can't do with a stone lock:
    • Grab the sides of the handle (as opposed to just the top) for doing things like weighted pistols, etc.
    • Take advantage of the round shape for things like bottom up presses
    • Not have to worry about sharp corners smashing into your forearms during snatches or whatever.
    • Save money

Here's a list of things you can do with a stone lock that you can't do with a KB:
    • Look traditional

Just my opinion, tho. I may be missing some things. And like I said before, if your students are all going to quit if you don't get traditional stuff, then get the locks (or get new students), but yeah, it's up to you, I'm just giving you my opinion.

You did not answer about whether you have used locks before.
    Sorry, I didn't know I was asked that. No, I've never used stone locks before.

Originally posted by IronFist
    Here's a list of things you can do with a KB that you can't do with a stone lock:
    • Grab the sides of the handle (as opposed to just the top) for doing things like weighted pistols, etc.

ok, but I don't see that the stone locks are too big to just grab the sides of.
    • Take advantage of the round shape for things like bottom up presses

i don't see that a flat bottom would mean that you couldn't do this.
    • Not have to worry about sharp corners smashing into your forearms during snatches or whatever.

granted. if that was too much of a problem the edges could be sanded/ground down a bit so they wouldn't cut
    • Save money

i'd have to check again but at least on the atomicathlete site they are similarly priced

Here's a list of things you can do with a stone lock that you can't do with a KB:
    • Look traditional

LOL, what have you got against 'looking traditional'?

Right off, i'd have to say that though there may be some minimal limitations to the stone locks it wouldn't be enough to offset the benefit I see of a TCMA school maintaining that image.

Just my opinion, tho. I may be missing some things. And like I said before, if your students are all going to quit if you don't get traditional stuff, then get the locks (or get new students), but yeah, it's up to you, I'm just giving you my opinion.

Sorry, I didn't know I was asked that. No, I've never used stone locks before.
    ok, well, as you said above, just your opinion. But how can you hold such a strong opinion w/o fact based comparison?

as I said in my second post, my goal is to try and combine the old and the new. I think it can be done to good effect. Also, keep in mind that most students in any ma school are only there as a hobby. I don't really think it's going to matter that the stone locks are only 95% as optimal as a KB.

Thanks for your input.

I think they would be about 25% as effective. JMO, but it seems that snatches, rack jerks, and all overhead work is going to be tremendously more difficult and less productive.

Originally posted by Oso
    ok, well, as you said above, just your opinion. But how can you hold such a strong opinion w/o fact based comparison?
    I've never done squats on a Smith machine but I still know they suck I see your point, tho.

btw, my comparison was fact based.

fa-jing: simply because of the design differences?

IF, if not from your own experience then where did you draw the facts?

video? web article?

my goal is to try and make the best decision up front. even if I make them cheap there is still my time to consider and, well energy over time and all that.

if the best thing to do is save up for the KB's then I'll do that.

I'm just not convinced there is a, 75% difference per fa-jing, huge difference.

just had one thought though...one of the things I lack in my school is at least a couple of bigger guys that want to fight.

I gots no one to play with.

in terms of projecting an image, having a couple of toys laying around that are connected to 'traditional' strong man workouts may attract some of those types of guys.

KBs are cheaper if you buy them from everythingtrackandfield.

yep, saw that on your other post but haven't had time to follow up.

and, really, for now, I have 5, 10, 25 and 30 pound iron dumbells in the school that are being used.