Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pai Lum, your thoughts and opinions?

An offshoot of Pai Lum? There have been people which have been kicked out, since they decided to change training methods and such. The person you came in contact with may have been one of those people...or maybe not.

Chi Ling Pai

Founded by a guy named Dennis Decker. He was a 2nd black in Pai Lum, also had dan drades in some JMA and a smattering of other things like Black Tiger and Eagle Claw.

I never got along with the other students except for a few friends - matters of character, you see. I never claim the system, but I learned a lot of it while a teenager.

You can web search it. There are some sites now. Some of the stuff claimed by Decker is obvious BS, but to this day I look at footage of him - he was very, very good despite the gobbely-gook.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Ill ask my instructor about him and see if I can get any info. Now im curious.

Pai lum dreamer

I checked out the texas web site and watched some of the clips. It seems that they added a few more forms with a little more chinese flavor. I dont think these were in the original pai lum though.

The Pai lum does have some of the chinese custumes. I just think if I would want to learn tiger crane form I would prefer to learn it form the origial source, hung ga. It would be better to get it from hung ga and not in outer tiger. If I wanted to learn lau ga kuen I would rather learn it from hung ga and not flowing one. The same for the rest of the adopted forms. I have Tiger crane , Taming tiger, lau gar from the hung ga and I also have outer tiger, Taming tiger, and flowing one from pai lum. The pai lum forms do seem to be missing alot compared to the hung ga forms.

But I have to say again the Pai Lum system does produce some very good fighters.

I like the Pai lum.

As far as Decker, you may not like what you find out.

Have a good day.

Sayloc,

The clips on www.kungfuschool.com are mostly just demo things put together for the public. They arent how the actual form is done :P Lol. On "Crane and Tiger" (a good example of this) they actually added in things that werent in the original form. That was just for show.

Also...you brought up something that sparked my interest. You said you learned forms from Hung Ga AND Pai Lum which were supposed to be the same, but the Pai Lum forms were missing moves/what not. Do you have a video camera/or are you able to get these forms onto the computer? I would really like to see the differences and similarities. If you cant, no big deal .

Since I havnt had much experience with many other CMAs, I may be a little biased. Im here to learn as much as everyone else.

Thanks!

pailumdreamer

If you do a search on the southern forum you can find some video clips of tiger and crane. Do you know outer tiger from Pai Lum? If you do you will notice it is obviously based on the tiger crane form but much different. You will also notice that the outer tiger is only the tiger part of tiger and crane it stops at where the crane picks up (It is called outer tiger not crane) If you do not know it ask a sihing to perform it for you.

I will add that the pai lum taming tiger is much closer to the original Hung ga version. In fact I still train the pai lum version, close enough and just didnt want to take the time to change over. If you look at white swan form you will notice it is almost the same as shorin ryu rohai. It just has some sweeps in it.

Godenfist is wth out a doubt Kenpo.

I suggest you do your research. Not to prove that your style is good but to learn more about it.

Some of the forms are close to the original and are still very nice and effective.

The problem with forms from so many styles is that from one form to the next the whole way the application is applied or performed is completly different. I think it is hard to train in such a way. It is almost like starting all over again everytime you learn another form. I am talking about the sutff from 30 years ago it may be a completly different system by now.

I did have a senior pai lum instructor tell me that hung ga came from pai lum. That one is hard to swallow.

Have a good day.

Also another thread here on Pai Lum, please check it out

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...5&goto=newpost
    My school: http://pailumwarrior.com/

I did have a senior pai lum instructor tell me that hung ga came from pai lum. That one is hard to swallow.
    either you misunderstood or he is a moron. no one at my school would make such statements.

No I did not misunderstand. He told me that DK Pai told his instructor that the hung ga came from pai lum.

Has nothing to do with the current Pai lum organization. It is from the old Pai lum.

I would doubt that Pai would say anything like that. Pai probably told the guy alot of Pai lum comes from hung ga .

right