Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dec/Jan Issue

the b-boy pose

Yeah, if you'll remember, MS was teasing me for a while saying "Gene fears the b-boy pose" here. Now you know why. You should also mention that our dear kungfuchic is also there - she got in twice, one for her grand champion award and another for the forum.

As for doing weapons issues that are more specific, ie. southern, spears and staffs, etc. that's a fine idea, but let's see if just a sword issue works first. Remember we only do 6 issues a year, and they can't all be specials. Then they wouldn't be 'special'. Actually, there's a bit of a logisitical problem with spear and staff, since for the most part, only spearheads remain, and while there are some fine examples, they aren't nearly as coveted, and therefore adorned, as swords.

We have a lot of willing contributors - the problem is finding more willing capable contributors. Sean, if you want to do something on southern weapons, that's fine, we'd enjoy looking at that. It's a really messing field, hopologically speaking. But please don't wait for an inviation to work on a special issue. Such invitations are rarely extended from us. Typically, the specials happen rather organically - we look what's in our publishing queue, and the specials sort of fall out by themselves.

Thanks for the comments and critiques, guys! This is my favorite function of the forum and helps me get as sense of what you all want to see for our direction.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I remember, thats why I brought it up.

Thats why I'm saying space them out dude.. but whatever works ya know. I'm not going to talk about this too much more, as I think you guys do a great job. I'm just tossing out ideas that I'm sure has been passed around enough by you guys. Hopefully I'll get to the rest of the mag this weekend.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Southern weapons... I'll see what I can coax out of my sifu.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

page 66 has the good pics though

yeah that meatshake pose was nice. lol that was a good photoshop job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

ok , now I'm all excited and stuff

Originally posted by Starchaser107
    ok , now I'm all excited and stuff
    you should be. you'llg et your 15 minutes of fame too
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Appearing in a tournament review....

Appearing in a tournament review only docks 3 seconds off your 15 minutes of fame. It's 5 seconds if your name is mentioned - it has yet to be calibrated for forum names. I'm still waiting for some tournament promoter to ask about the forum names....
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Re: Appearing in a tournament review....

Originally posted by GeneChing
    Appearing in a tournament review only docks 3 seconds off your 15 minutes of fame. It's 5 seconds if your name is mentioned - it has yet to be calibrated for forum names. I'm still waiting for some tournament promoter to ask about the forum names....
    then let me have my 5 SECONDS!!!!!!

I was wondering about that...

If some of these guys are looking at their coverage and being like Who the F@ck is norther pratitioner.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Who the F@ck is norther practitioner?

At 4748 posts and counting, NP gets his face in the mag. After all, that's a long time to be looking at our website, so he might as well look at himself in our mag...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hey, someone needs to keep this place flowin'
    practice wu de

Originally posted by norther practitioner
    Hey, someone needs to keep this place flowin'
    that was BL wasnt it?

Originally posted by Starchaser107
    pin up girls?
    Back in the day I had a Kung Fu Quigong magazine that had a pin-up of Michelle Yeoh in a black PVC cat suit from her James Bond period. So it has happened before.

It is covering one of the many holes in my wall caused by doing full contact-sparring with my brother in a much-to-small space with flimsy plaster walls.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

I'm still a waitin' for the all-karate special.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

SimonM

Glad you found a use for that poster. We used to do posters regularly both in our present publication and World of Martial Arts (where we once covered karate ) but that was back when we were a smaller magazine and saddle-stitched. Now we're 'perfect bound' which is more like how books are bound. Saddle-stitched means that the pages are stapled on top of each other, like horse and saddle, which makes a center poster more feasible. Perfect binding has a spine and it's a combo of several smaller books bound into a big book, so the concept of a pull-out poster is much more difficult (and costly) to achieve. You'll just have to patch your wall holes with back issues for now, I'm afraid...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips