Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diet and martial arts

If you're not eating carbs after your workout, aren't you exhausted for the rest of the day? The way I understand it, the feeling of exhaustion comes from the muscles having depleted thier glycogen stores, which need to be replaced with carbs. Of course, I could be missing something. Anyone care to explain?
    Bodhi Richards

when ur muscles have had a work out the need to be re-filled with gylcogen, witch can be made from any energy source. carbs take a while to digest and they are slow reliese so they are good to eat two hrs before u train. But after... you should eat protien and drink a glucose drink.

Do u get lucozade in the states??? Or any other isotonic drinks?
    "Turn your face to the sun, and your shadows will fall behind you."

"While your looking to hit for points, we are breaking legs and taking you by the neck"

Originally posted by manofkent
    ... drink a glucose drink.
    Uh, you do realise that glucose is pure carbohydrate?
    Do u get lucozade in the states???
    Lucozade contains carbohydrates.
    Or any other isotonic drinks?
    Isotonic drinks contain carbohydrates.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

O

"While your looking to hit for points, we are breaking legs and taking you by the neck"

Originally posted by PaiLumDreamer
    Wow Toby. Thats...a really good reply.

The only problem is I hate cheese

At least SOME people can give constructive replies

(Beer is bad.)

You should be banned for talking down on cheese...

Cooking healthy is easy if you work it into your schedule, I have found it to often be less time consuming than going to get fast food, and most of the time cheaper... I say most of the time because I have a dog and if I want chicken, I have to wait until I get home to start defrosting it as far time, and as far as $, I have an expensive sea food habit...mmmmmm crab.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

What I try to do....

I try to eat 4-5 small meals a day.

2 eggs with toast when I wake up.
    OJ or Apple juice

a breakfast bar about 3 hours after that with some fruit. I'll drink water during the day

Lunch time I would have a bowl of soup, some meats (I bring in loose turkey or do a sandwitch without the soup) and more juice

Just before I go home is when I'll have my 1 unhealthy thing of the day (like snack food) be it those cheese and cracker things from the corner market, or a bag of popcorn or something, etc.

I try to work out while cooking, or before I eat dinner, which is usually simple, like some seafood and a veggie side. If I'm really hungry during the day I'll drink a couple of glasses of water before I eat to curb my appetite some.

Of course, given my recent schedule changes, I'm just getting into the swing of things again. Remember to balance things out, as when I don't, thats when I feal more fatigued.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

I didnt know glucose was a carb!!!
    Thank for letting me know. R the carbs in isotonic drinks the same as carbs in bread or r they fast burning???

ive been trying to cut down on my carbs to get my body fat% down (been at 10% for a while).

Will my body fat% go down if i cut the isotonic drinks down a bit????? I drink one during training and one after, thats 5-6Ltrs a week, thats 9-11 pints approx.

Why do you want to lower your bodyfat further? Just curious.

10 % seems pretty healthy
    practice wu de

i still retain water round my belly and i just cant shift it.

I didnt know glucose was a carb!!!
    Glucose is pretty much the carb .
    Thank for letting me know. R the carbs in isotonic drinks the same as carbs in bread or r they fast burning???
    I dunno what carbohydrates are in isotonic drinks. I did a search and a few said "contains carbohydrates". I'm imagining glucose would play a big part though. Broadly speaking, no they're not the same as in (e.g. wholegrain) bread.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Im pretty sure the chemical make up somehow allows them to burn much quicker. Thats why u drink iso drinks while you train, as opposed to the brown bread carbs which are slow reliease. I dont acctually know what im talking about, thats just how i think it works.

well they enter into your system more quickly, but I don't think they burn more quickly.

Most isotonic drinks contain a lot of simple sugars (glucose, fructose).

And Toby hit the nail on the head when it comes to glucose being THE carb. Here's the deal on glucose / glycogen / energy drinks / wheat bread carbs / etc.

Glucose is the main component your body uses to create energy. Glycogen is just a long chain of glucose molecules bound together. All carbohydrates (table sugar, fruit sugar, bread, potatoes) will be broken down into glucose molecules before they enter your bloodsteam, except most types of fiber. Your body can't break down most fiber, so you end up pooping it out pretty much unchanged.

Isotonic drinks are designed to be absorbed into your body very quickly. Isotonic means that the drink is the same concentration as your blood. This is what enables it to be absorbed through your stomach lining really fast. The simple sugars (glucose molecules) in the isotonic drinks get absorbed really quickly into your bloodstream and get to your muscles faster.

Bread has more complex carbs, which are long chains of sugars (like glycogen) bound together. It takes more time to break the chains down into glucose to enter your bloodstream.

What is an isotonic drink? I've never heard that term before.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.