Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do you practice Martial Arts?

Why do you practice Martial Arts?

Not why you started to study MA's, but why you continue to do so after you have reached an advanced level of skill.

A couple decades ago my answer was simple. I was working in LA as a bouncer and needed all the edge I could get. Prior to that I was fighting on the street. But for the past 15 years I have not been in a physical confrontation where any party was "serious" or angry. So for me the answer is because I have always done it... and I enjoy the training process. Even though I don't like to hurt people or to be hurt.

So, what keeps you going?
    Timing is Everything,

Ty

That's about the same for me. I've always done it since I was child. Then again I'm the cliche asian guy who knows "karate". It's almost expected, don't know who made up that rule...

Anyway, I enjoy doing it, but I go through phases in my training, sometimes I go hard core fighting like I did with my thai training, sometimes it's balanced where I do a bit of both, sometimes it's more technique orientated...depends on what I'm learning and focusing on. Overall, I can't go long without staying involved in it. I've taken breaks before, the longest one just recently after I broke my wrist back in 2002!!! Two surgeries later and it's still "healing". Getting back into the grove slowly with that hand, as it's still not 100% yet.

Can't imagine my life not doing it really....
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

I realise now that it was solely based on some diffuse inferiority complex and fear of the unknown!...Now that I know that ,I should maybe revise my martial arts implication.I don't need these things anymore!....

The deeper you go into the MA training, the more you know about yourself, others, and what life is all about! =)

A combination of sadism, masochism and obsessive/compulsive disorder, plus a snide, argumentative and confrontational personality which obviates a regular and frequent requirement for self-defense.

After a while training just turns into a lifestyle.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Dont know why. Dont spend much time on such introspection.

Because it's there like Hillary/Tensing's Everest.?

Its better than hitting a silly ball down/up a fairway and riding ina golf cart,

Its better than drafts or checkers'

Its better than a basketball pick up game with 5 wheezing fellas
    who are failed NBA wannabes.

Its better than watching an Arizona Cardinal's football game.

Its a complete change of pace from what I did for a living and over-associating with folks impressed with themselves..

Like Anerlich- follow an obsessive compulsive trajectory.

Better than rushing into the stands at a basketball game or hitting someone witha hockey stick or sitting ina tree through rain waiting to do a distasteful military asignment.

Its better than paying bills or taxes.

Its better than watching the Oreilly factor or listening to ignorant overpaid commentators on the news or Dennis Miller on football or most other things or Howard Cossell wannabes on boxing.

Its a non family thing for a change.

Its fun- other than that I dont know why..(like Norah Jones' song)

For fun.

Originally posted by t_niehoff
    For fun.
    *double take* Wha? Not for fighting? You mean to tell me you do martial arts for something as subjective as "fun"? Something whose definition will differ from person to person? Well imagine that...

Just playin'

Regards,
    Alan

Yes, but you forgot that Terence's idea of fun is fighting. I guess he gets his kicks out of either taking a beating or dishing one out.

For me, in the beginning it was just a cool thing to do. I entered the kwoon and felt a very good vibe/energy from the people there and Sifu himself, and I knew this was a good place to be. Also after I learned about the history of WC and Bruce Lee's association with it and with GM Cheung, I felt part of something of signifigance and history. I've never considered myself a "Fighter", but trained hard to improve my skill and be able to learn more about the art I love. Later, once I was asked to start teaching WC to others I found another aspect of it that gave me great pleasure. There's nothing like teaching something that means allot to yourself and that has great value to those that need it and are looking to improve themselves through the study of Wing Chun. Its amazing to see a student progress through the system from day one and little ability to do anything right to someone that possesses a great skill, and to know that you had something to do with that transformation, not to mention how all that training has changed the individual in such a postive manner by gaining confidence in themselves, and their abilities.

Today, I've decided to make a living teaching Wing Chun to whom ever decides to learn it. To earn a living doing something you love is not a dishonor to the art but a great way to live your life through it by sharing something that was passed down through the generations. I see more and more as time goes by how Wing Chun has helped me become the person I am today.

James

Yup for fun :-)

Sihing wrote: "Also after I learned about the history of WC and Bruce Lee's association with it and with GM Cheung, I felt part of something of signifigance and history."

??? Are you serious?

Why practice MA? just another venue to pick up chicks. if things arn't looking so good at one school I'll check out another after some research into who will be teaching the hot babes. been having a good time studying these arts.

sihing wrote:

Yes, but you forgot that Terence's idea of fun is fighting. I guess he gets his kicks out of either taking a beating or dishing one out.

**Why do boxers box or wrestlers grapple? For fun. Fighting, regardless of the method, is the ultimate in competitive activities. And people have been fighting for fun since time immemorial. It has nothing to do with "taking a beating or dishing one out"; it's like mountain climbing, an intense physical and mental challenge but where you have an adaptive opponent rather than a static one (a mountain).

Great question.

As a child, I needed to learn MA to defend myself from my cusins who all took MA and used me as their practice dummy.

In High School, I had Asain Short mans syndrome.

In College, I had Asain Short mans syndrome.

As an adult, I have Asain Short mans syndrome, a Family to protect, and its just a way of life...

Seriously... now I just want to help preserve our Art.

Funny that our reasons for doing this are pretty much the same that somebody would have for playing any sport.
    Timing is Everything,

Ty

The reason I do it ?
    I train so that if I have to fight its there. I don't train for fun or tournaments ( although I do have fun when I train ) . I train because I know if I've got to the point where I have to fight then there's no other option.

This happens to me so rarely that I suppose the other reasons are more a part of it in my adult life...

Keeps me fit, keeps me looking good and feeling healthy. I don't like to come home from work and sit on the sofa and stagnate.
    I don't get bored exercising if its Wing Chun. I also like to think looking at the likes of Yip Chun and Yip man that I can carry on doing it for the rest of my life.