Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the december challenge

Exclamation the december challenge

sevenstar and i were talking, and we decided that this is a bit of a cut month for us. he's going to be fighting again in the future, and while i doubt i will soon, that shouldn't stop me from being at a closer-to-fighting weight. here's the skinny: seven is going from 230 to 220, and i'm going from 188 to 180 by the end of the month. thing is, i know we're not the only ones who should have some goals this month, nor are we the ones who could use some suggestions on how we hit 'em.

for seven, he's gonna do more cardio and watch his diet better.

to get there, i'm going to a lot more intense cardio, plus continue my focus on my badly lacking leg strength. plus i'm gonna watch my diet better (sounds familiar).

anyhoo, toss in some suggestions for us, or better yet, toss in your goals and we'll all suggest/motivate away. i know iron should work on not being out of breath when he gets up to get a glass of kool-aid, and i know oso's goal is to eat pie, but what else do we have?
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Am working on an idea I got from the rossboxing thread... I have been working my leg strength with the 12 lb medicine ball, squat-&-toss, things like that. I have noticed an improvement, especially in my kicking power, but have platued with jumps in general. So I have added burpies. I'm doing them more as a sprint, but with the jump up part being more of a fluid take-off rather than a seperate count. I am also exagerating the jump hight and turning it into a moon jump. I'll say this much, There is absolutly no part of my body that is not burning after 45 seconds of this!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

1. Get 15 unassisted neutral grip pullups

2. Get at least one, pain-free pistol off of a bench on each leg

3. Avoid hyperextending any more joints (mild muscular injury around both elbows right now. Nothing serious; getting hypnotized today, so that'll take care of that)

4. Stay at a solid 200lbs whilst losing about 3% bodyfat
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Originally posted by Vash
    getting hypnotized today, so that'll take care of that)
    wtf?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Re: the december challenge

Originally posted by rubthebuddha
    i know iron should work on not being out of breath when he gets up to get a glass of kool-aid,
    Pretty much. However, if my KB comes I'll show you guys what cardio is all about. I bet I'd even be able to get up and get two glasses of kool-aid without getting out of breath.

Originally posted by IronFist
    wtf?
    I've found hypnotism has had an amazing effect on recovery from injuries. That chest injury I had? On the 15th month and 6th day, I got hypnotized. On the 15th month and 8th day, I could bend over and twist without pain/tearing more muscle.

^ For real? Did you just got to a regular hypnotist? How did he hypnotize you? Was he all like "you're getting sleepy" while waving a pendant in front of you or what? Is it true that you have to want to be hypnotized for it to work? How did you find him? Is "hypnotist" in the yellow pages?

^ For real? Did you just got to a regular hypnotist?
    Yep. Just look for "hypnotherapist" in the yellow pages.

How did he hypnotize you? Was he all like "you're getting sleepy" while waving a pendant in front of you or what?
    Basically it's a series of relaxation techniques. Eventually, you get to a "day dreaming" state. She does use a pendant, but more for a focus tool and to test sensitivity to suggestion.

Is it true that you have to want to be hypnotized for it to work?
    Yes. Otherwise, you're going to ignore what the hypnotherapist is saying.

How did you find him?
    Well, my mother is a hypnotherapist.

What are the limitations on hypnotism? Is it true you can't make someone who is hypnotized do something they wouldn't normally do?

Limitations:

Apparently, the dead cannot be raised, immortality cannot be bestowed, and amputated limbs reconnected (most hypnotists hate to sew). Aside from that, there's much correlation between hypnotism and the achievement of the desired effect.

As an example, my grandmother has smoked for the past 50 years (she started when she was 10). After one session, she stopped. No physical cravings, though the physical habit and oral fixation remained for some time.

Behavioral Modification:

Even in deep hypnosis, the therapist is only making suggestions to the subconsciuous, without interference from the conscious mind (think of fighting ability in the state of "no-mind" - reaction and instinct in place of word-formation). it is not mind-control; the client will not behave in a manner in which the normally would not, at least as relates to actions with moral consequences. Behavioral and physical actions seem to be subject to subconscious suggestions.

Sorry for the hijack, RTB.

hypnotism

That reminds me of a couple of times in my life when I'd use the technique of defining a goal/want very specifically and writing/printing the goal/want in detail on pieces of paper and leave them laying around places in my personal areas where I'd be able to read them often. Places like the bathroom mirror, bedside table, fridge, wallet, computer monitor, etc.

Anyways, every single time, I'd end up somehow getting what I want, achieving my goal. Kinda like self hypnosis w/o the deep relaxation stuff - tho' I do like to stay relaxed.

Thanks Vash, for the memory trigger - I'm gonna start using my technique again...

The way it's been explained to me, it's the same principle, just different method.

Could you use hypnotism to:

Remember fighting techniques (ie. you've been out of class for a year and are forgetting things)?

Get someone to do the sex with you?

Conquer fear (ie. you're not afraid of spiders anymore)?

Give someone a phobia (ie. you will be scared of elevators forever from now on)?

Improve foreign language skills?

This is interesting as hell. Do you know of any good websites where I can learn more?

This is interesting as hell. Do you know of any good websites where I can learn more?
    You may want to google for NLP, neuro, linguistic, neuro-linguistic programming. NLP is a fairly new study in how the brain works when learning and conditioning responses. You'll find info on hypnotism, how to read body language, how to figure out common responses in people who are raised fairly similiarly, etc.

Remember fighting techniques (ie. you've been out of class for a year and are forgetting things)?
    I dunno.

Get someone to do the sex with you?
    Unfortunately, no.

Conquer fear (ie. you're not afraid of spiders anymore)?
    Yes.

Give someone a phobia (ie. you will be scared of elevators forever from now on)?
    I dunno.

Improve foreign language skills?
    To increase your retention of foreign language lessons, yes.

Nah. The most I've read on it is through my mother and the newsletter of the hypnotherapists organization.