Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pull up question

Originally posted by IronFist
    ... it would be a pain in the ass to take the weight off and re-rack the bar up high again after each rep.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

That's what weight releasers are for... It's a lot easier than re-racking a heavy weight.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    ok, need some more education:

would someone define 'eccentric' as it relates to this topic?

TIA
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Concentric = the part of the contraction where the muscle shortens, like curling the weight up during biceps curls.

Eccentric = the part of the contraction where the muscle lengthens, like lowering the weight during biceps curls.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    ok, thanks...so check me on this

Oso, IIRC you can lift 130-140% of your concentric max on the eccentric portion. So maybe do negatives but push it. Unweighted negatives might be easy, so start hanging weights off. E.g. if you can do negatives with say 10lb, you should be able to do the full ROM unweighted. I reckon the full ROM is important because when I approach failure I can still pull up the bottom 1/2 ROM - it's the top 1/2 getting your chin over that I find the hardest part of the lfit.

so, I should be able to do 305+ (235x1.3) on the negative/eccentric portion of the pull up???

hehe, I could get one of my kids to hang on my back while I do negatives.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Originally posted by Ford Prefect
    That's what weight releasers are for... It's a lot easier than re-racking a heavy weight.
    Yeah, but I train alone, so e.g. doing bench or squat I'd still have to rerack the weight and rehang the releasers every rep. Pain in the ass. I'd love to do a program of heavy negatives, but I'd need a couple of training partners. Maybe when my kids are a bit older. In the meantime chains and bands'll have to do. I just need to find suitable bands in Oz.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

Originally posted by Oso
    so, I should be able to do 305+ (235x1.3) on the negative/eccentric portion of the pull up???
    Yep. Theoretically. That's why in another post I said hang a weight off you and jump to the up position and do controlled negatives. Once you can do that with a decent amount of weight, you'll have no problem with full ROM pullups unweighted. I do this if I appproach failure at the end of a cycle. If I'm gunna fail the last rep of a cycle, I'll jump to the up position instead and just lower controlled. I can do that even if I'd never get the full up-down action for that rep.

toby

the best thing to do is just wait til' the bands are on sale at elite.
    i got mine from there and they are the gear. you'd honestly only need the mini's, light and medium, unless of course you're aiming for over 1000lbs in the squat.

this site also has them http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/index.html

i did find an australian distributor for the iron woody ones a few weeks back but forgot to bookmark it. i'll have a look later and if i find it i'll put it up for you.

vts
    [disclaimer- i am about to be rude, antagonistic & terribly offensive- but i love ya's all]

luckily my memory ain't completely fukked.

http://www.myopure.com.au/resistance-bands.html

vts
    [disclaimer- i am about to be rude, antagonistic & terribly offensive- but i love ya's all]

Thanks vts,

That's my protein supplier that's gunna be selling them. I'll be interested to see what price he sells them for.

no problema toby.

by the way my site is up and running. in the future i may end up stocking jumpstretch bands but it mightn't be for a while, if i do get them sooner than later i'll let you know.

http://www.modernprimitivetrainingtools.com/

as a side note, i also have supplied the newcastle knights with some gear so i can now boast that my gear is being used and put to the test by atleast one proffessional team and so far they're giving the gear excellent feedback, esp. the rings.

also, just to make you feel a little worse(or envious) i've scored some bumper plates for down in my lttle ol' home gym. i must say they are an excellent compliment to playing with my KB's.

vts

Keep us updated. I'm still broke , but I eventually might get some KBs to mess around with. Plus I'd eventually like a decent bar.

dude, to easy.

hears just another quick story from training last night to make you feel even worse, a mate of mine was hear and easily pressed a 50kg with one arm(mind you he trains for strongman events and is a man moutain to begin with), however to make matters worse he then told me of this young islander he works with that floor pressed and overhead pressed the 40kg bells first time he tried, no bad for someone who doesn't even workout. he then went on to tell me that one time at his place he had 200kgs on the bar doing deads and this same guy was there, he had a dodge knee at the time and still deadlifted 200 kgs first attempt. don't some people make you sick.

vts

Blah, I don't wanna hear those stories. My wife's been sick for months with what turned out to be glandular fever (mono for you seppos). Yesterday I came down with a sore throat and stuffed nose. Today I worked from home with a sore throat, swollen glands and a stuffed nose. I'm praying it's a cold, but I never get sick. My training's all over for a while if it turn's out I've got glandular fever.